Turn on thread page Beta

'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that I'll bother with Checkmate... only if I come across it in the library maybe.

I wish she hadn't written the sequels tbh. Noughts & Crosses was such a special, powerful book and works perfectly well as a stand-alone one-off novel. I found Knife Edge tainted it for me

when was this written?

ReputationRep:
    I really, really love this book, it's so heartbreaking. I too found the sequel rather disappointing - it's called Knife Edge *starry_eyed_*
    Me too, I LOVED Callum, and find Sephy REALLY annoying. No, I didn't like the sequel much either, but if the mini book helps Ill try and get hold if it. When is it set? Inbetween N&C and Knife Edge? I still want to read Checkmate though, just to know the ending...

ReputationRep:
    I want to know whats going to happen to her daughter!

ReputationRep:
    I have just gone out and got Checkmate. Am half way through, and dont want to spoil it so will just say, at the moment I think its more Knife Edge standard than Noughts and Crosses, but is still good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    ive read those 3 now... all very good, recommend to anyone... knife edge wasnt up there with the other 2 but meh.. still worth it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What did you think of the ending of Checkmate?

(Original post by noofruit)
    Me too, I LOVED Callum, and find Sephy REALLY annoying. No, I didn't like the sequel much either, but if the mini book helps Ill try and get hold if it. When is it set? Inbetween N&C and Knife Edge? I still want to read Crosswire though, just to know the ending...
    Yes, it is set when Sephy is six months pregeant.

ReputationRep:
    I would post regarding spoiler above, but think I should probably put what I write into another Spoiler box. Can somebody tell me how to do it?

ReputationRep:
    I would post regarding spoiler above, but think I should probably put what I write into another Spoiler box. Can somebody tell me how to do it?
    Choose reply... then click the single question mark button in the line of tools options (Bold, italic etc) - its one in from the right end of the row. Then type your spoiler in the box that comes up.

ReputationRep:
    Ending to checkmate . . .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I found that it brought back fond memories of the ending of N & C. The letter from Callum, the relationship between Callie and Sephy, and the, ahem, sex scene reminded me of the qualities that made the trilogy brilliant.

I still feel that Malorie Blackman should have left it at Noughts & Crosses. Knife Edge wasn't very interestic, far too domestic, the best scenes were between Jude and Cara. Check Mate started off as bad as Knife Edge, but as soon as Callie turned teen, it started to become brilliant.

It's made me want to write a Rome and Juliet style love story, which I've just started. I've done loads of writing, but none like this. Whod've thought it?

ReputationRep:
    What did you think of the ending of Checkmate?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ahh, I see... I thought the ending was a bit boring to be honest- they suddenly just made it up to each other, alright... but I dunno how else I would have done it. And who did she choose- it was Tobey right wasn't it, or are we supposed to just assume it was whoever we wanted it to be. I think I would have like to know what happened in that storyline a bit more- I got fed up of all the Jude bits and all the song writing bits. Also, found Sephy/Sonny/Nathan storyline a bit boring. Overall though it was pretty good. I was sceptical at the start, coz it seemed a lot more Knife Edge-ish than Noughts and Crosses- ish. What did everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ahh, I see... I thought the ending was a bit boring to be honest- they suddenly just made it up to each other, alright... but I dunno how else I would have done it. And who did she choose- it was Tobey right wasn't it, or are we supposed to just assume it was whoever we wanted it to be. I think I would have like to know what happened in that storyline a bit more- I got fed up of all the Jude bits and all the song writing bits. Also, found Sephy/Sonny/Nathan storyline a bit boring. Overall though it was pretty good. I was sceptical at the start, coz it seemed a lot more Knife Edge-ish than Noughts and Crosses- ish. What did everyone else think?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I always thought Callie chose Tobey in the end, since they started to argue a lot towards the second half of the book, while Callie and Lucas were getting on fairly well, and Callie says she never would have thought she chose who she did. Tobey also reminded me a little of Callum sometimes, I don't know if that's what Malorie Blackman intended the readers to think. I'm not so sure who Sephy chose though, personally, I would have preferred Sephy to chose Nathan.

I agree with Euge, the book got a lot better as Callie got older, although I think I actually like Knife Edge more than Noughts and Crosses. What I really found moving though was what happened between Jasmine, Jude and Meggie. While I admired Jasmine's willingness to sacrifice herself for Sephy and Callie, I wonder if she would have done it if she didn't have cancer, and if escaping the pain from her cancer was a reason for her actions, it did seem like Jasmine was running away to an extent, she thought she was dying from her cancer, as far as I remember, she was never actually told that she would die.

Another reason why I found that part so moving is that, I actually thought Jude could be saved, he does have some feelings for Callie, to a limited extent, and still remembers (and in my opinion,) loves Cara, years after he killed her. I never really liked the way Cara's death was shown to portray Jude as an evil cold blooded killer, he never intended to kill her, it was a fit of emotion, not premediated, and he did regret it afterwards, but was too focused on his revenge on Sephy and Andrew Dorn. That said, I don't think there was anyway the trilogy could have ended with Jude still alive.

I did not like the way Callum's letter was resolved. It seemed a out of character to me, even the L.M. Callum. I personally always thought that Kamal was involved in the letter somehow. I would have liked it if Callum had told Sephy in his truthful letter that Kamal offered him a short prison sentence, had he admitted to raping Sephy.

I thought the start of Checkmate was better the second time I read it, I still find Callie annoying to start with, but that is understandable, she doesn't have as much to think about as Sephy and Callum did when they were her age.

I liked the book alot though, especially the second half.

ReputationRep:
    !!! i'm so pleased that i'm not the only person who thinks she ought to have stopped with 'noughts and crosses'!!!

i've read both the sequels and, although there's nothing much wrong with them, i don't think that they were necessary. although 'knife edge' and 'checkmate' carry on the story, all they really do is take the events of the first book to their logical conclusion. i finished reading the third book and although it didn't leave me dissatisfied, i didn't feel that it had been worth my while reading it. 'noughts and crosses' is powerful, thought-provoking and relevant - it's exactly the kind of book that i think young people ought to be reading, because they are the people who are going to grow up in an increasingly multicultural society, and they are the ones who need to be inspired to make that society one which is tolerant of cultural differences, race and religion. i feel that the final chapter of 'noughts and crosses' is so potent simply because it leaves the conflict unresolved, almost inviting a reader to consider his or her own reactions and opinions. for me, the two sequels somehow lessen the inspirational power of the first novel. so if anyone on here hasn't already read them then i'd advise them not to.

ahem, sorry about the mini-essay. i've been wanting to say that since i finished the third book, and i haven't yet found a suitable customer to pounce on.

ReputationRep:
    It is a *good* book, but nothing mega amazing

ReputationRep:
    I loved noughts and crosses. my friend reccommended it to me. she never crys and it had her in floods of tears. I still thought knife edge was good but i don't think i could have ever matched up to the standard of noughts and crosses.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Checkmate still left me hangign though. i wanted Callie rose to go with Tobey and sephy to go with Sonny. I cried at the end when Jude dies. i thinks its because i can't resist a bad boy and even though he's kind of evil and killed innocent people i still had a soft spot for him but i don't think i could have ended without that happening to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caffine)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Checkmate still left me hangign though. i wanted Callie rose to go with Tobey and sephy to go with Sonny. I cried at the end when Jude dies. i thinks its because i can't resist a bad boy and even though he's kind of evil and killed innocent people i still had a soft spot for him but i don't think i could have ended without that happening to him
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't really like Sonny to be honest, he let Sephy down in Knife Edge, Rhino was the only one who was willing to let Sephy stay in the group. Even though Sonny knew he was letting Sephy down, by the way he lets Meggie talk to him, he still sided with Jaxon.

Then in Checkmate I was really disgusted with the way Sonny kept dating other girls, while he "waited" for Sephy. He knew that he still loved Sephy yet he slept with other girls. I thought he was too pushy as well, especially with the marriage thing.

Although I felt sympathy with Jude, and I still say that he could have been saved, I didn't like him, and thought he was amazingly stupid for infamous terrorist, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    wow..this trilogy is truly wiked!im currently reading the 3rd one..its soo good..its such a kewl gripping book tht makes u think at the end of it..

ReputationRep:
    OK i am reading knife edge atm and tbh it is no-where near as good as the 1st... but n&c was way high up.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm one of the few people who really liked Knife Edge.

ReputationRep:
    I liked it!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could write like Malorie Blackman!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.