Turn on thread page Beta

'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    I wish I could write like Malorie Blackman!
    My only complaint about her writing is that she always seems to use so many exclamation marks (more so in earlier books like Hacker) :confused:

But that's just me... I have an irrational fear of exclamation marks...

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did anyone else think it was a little ironic that Meggie donated all the money Jude gave her in Checkmate to the church? She refuses to take the money because it's "covered in blood" as she actually says, so she gives it to the church? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Very well written indeed. Great book, with some very interesting and daring ideas. i have to admit, i cried in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a third in the series?? 'Cause Knife Edge doesn't exactly end conclusively :*(

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Checkmate. It came out last month.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Noughts and Crosses was amazing but then I think she spoiled it with Knife Edge - I didn't think it was very good at all, I'll probably read checkmate but after reading Knife edge I think it would have been better to leave it at noughts and crosses and not make a series

ReputationRep:
    i agree, Noughts and crosses was amazing and the conclusion had me in tears. However, Knife edge disappointed me and was no way near as good as Noughts and Crosses. I am part way through Checkmate and although it is a good read i agree that neither have come close to matching N+Cs

ReputationRep:
    Checkmate does get a lot better later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caffine)
    I loved noughts and crosses. my friend reccommended it to me. she never crys and it had her in floods of tears. I still thought knife edge was good but i don't think i could have ever matched up to the standard of noughts and crosses.
    Yes it did have me in floods of tears ='(
    I also thought that knife edge didn't match up to the standards of noughts and crosses, however I think it helps you understand Jude a bit more.
    I also cried at checkmate! I think it meets up to the standard of noughts and crosses!

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite books, i REALLY enjoyed it. It is so different and contraversial yet taps into such serious ideas of equality. Recommend

ReputationRep:
    well i read the whole trilogy whilst on holiday and i have to say i loved every word of it. i was quite disappointed with knife edge, but it just made me take m ore interest in the finale. i particularly liked the way the record of events was re-told back-to-front. The last chapter had me in tears. The best book I have ever read.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the way the book makes you think. Like with not having plasters the right colour of Noughts and God being black (it was the first time I had realised that I had never seen a black or Asian biblical character, despite the fact that they're more likely to be so!).

Anyway, I absolutely adore this book. So emotional and touching. Knife Edge was nowhere near as good, although I enjoyed Checkmate. I think the problem with the sequels is that nothing could live up to how absolutely amazing and unique Noughts & Crosses was. Probably would have been much better to let it stand alone- it's not as if there were lots of unconcluded (is that even a word?) events...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.