Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Talking in Politics today it's pretty common knowledge that alot of people won't vote for certain parties, even if they believe in its policies, just because they think or know that it won't get enough votes to win. 2 people in my group who currently vote Labour say they would vote Lib Dem if they felt they could win. There's also of course the electoral bias towards certain parties, what I want to know is firstly:

Which party you currently vote for and if any party could win would you change your vote?
    Also with complete equality which party do you think would have the most chance of winning and would any decrease dramatically? And how do you feel this would impact the country?

I personally vote Labour now and even if there was equal chance I still would vote Labour.

ReputationRep:
    I vote Libdem and still would... it annoys me when people don't vote for a party they dont feel has a chance - it would be better IMO if everyone voted for who they WANTED to win, not who they thought was going to win anyway - I suppose you'd see a drop in numbers from Labour.Conservatives and an increase for Greens, UKIP, possibly libdems and independent candidates

ReputationRep:
    I would still vote Conservative. They are the party that best represents my views and my area (rural farming place). Thats not to say that I totally agree with them on everything, but on most things our interests converge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    I vote Libdem and still would... it annoys me when people don't vote for a party they dont feel has a chance - it would be better IMO if everyone voted for who they WANTED to win, not who they thought was going to win anyway - I suppose you'd see a drop in numbers from Labour.Conservatives and an increase for Greens, UKIP, possibly libdems and independent candidates
    Not to mention the BNP!!

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the general election and mayoral election in stoke, you can see how people vote for different parties.
    In the general election if you add up stoke south/central/north the BNP got 7000 less votes than in the stoke mayoral election(where we took 20% of the vote) although we did get our deposits back from all of them.

ReputationRep:
    I vote Conservative in British elections and UKIP in European elections. I wouldn't change my vote - unless the new Conservative leader abandons our principles and moves us to the centre ground like Tony Blair did with New Labour.

If all parties were on an equal footing I think the Lib Dems would suffer the most. I take the view that many of their votes are protest votes and aim to punish Labour without allowing the Conservatives in. If the Conservatives had a real chance in those constituencies then these votes would remain with Labour.

Saying that, there is a good chance Labour would suffer as many of its constituencies are massively Labour and currently require 10%+ swings in the vote to change. Labour have a relatively large majority based on a small share of the vote (35%), if there were no electoral bias the Conservatives would have the majority of seats in England and probably Westminster.

ReputationRep:
    I personally vote Liberal Democrat now and even if there was equal chance I still would vote Liberal Democrat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I personally vote Liberal Democrat now and even if there was equal chance I still would vote Liberal Democrat.
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    The important thing to remember is that the Conservatives have their strongholds in the countryside, suburbs and the South generally which is underrepresented in Parliament, often held with huge majorities, while Labour has its fortresses in the cities and North, which are overrepresented at the moment. The Lib Dems I think have their heartlands in the South West and in the progressive middle class seats, as well as some Old Labour seats. Now, without a bias in the system towards the Northern Labour seats, the Conservatives would have more Southern seats favourable to them and win many more constituencies. The Lib Dems are also advancing in Labour heartlands, and of course Labour has only 35% of the vote, so by the next election things will be much more favourable to the opposition parties, so voting patterns may change.

ReputationRep:
    I vote RESPECT and I would vote RESPECT.

Labour would suffer a lot, with the Lib Dems, Greens and BNP gaining and tories staying the same. The LibDems have already let down their protest voters by supporting the war when it started and the illegal occupation, by sropping their income tax plans as well as their local income tax plans. They have lied like the other two have. Only no one reports it much and even when they dio betray their voters, it doesn't have much actual impact.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.