Quote as a Personal Statement beginning... Corny or Catchy?? :S

Watch
This discussion is closed.
XBurkeyX
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey im just putting final touches to my PS and just need a nice beginning

quote too corny or a decent idea if i can find a good one?
Starwave
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It can be a good idea as long as its a relevant one.
goldsilvy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Terrible idea.
Alexandra1234567
Report 10 years ago
To start it, I would say it was a bad idea. If it's relevant and you're determined however, post the entire statement into the PS helper threads and see what they think.

I did that, and I had a relevant quote at the end and they liked it I think. It all depends on how you use it and what it's linking to I'd say...But at the start it is at risk of being too cliche!
Nfixlol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think it can be a pretty good idea, tbh, as long as what follows is really ******* good :yy:
XBurkeyX
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yeh i cant find any decent ones anyway
just was a quick idea.
I got a nice ending just need a darn beginning xD
any other help guys
and thanks btw
secretmessages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you actually make it relevant to your statement and write something good after it, it could work, but generally I tend to say avoid them..
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nfixlol)
i think it can be a pretty good idea, tbh, as long as what follows is really ******* good :yy:
What if an admission tutor will be put off by a quote at the beginning of PS and will have a negative attitude towards the PS throughout the process of reading (assuming that process will actually take place)?
Nfixlol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why would s/he be put off by a relevant quote if you back it up and explain it well? just don't quote nick griffin or anything and you should be fine, in most cases :beard:
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by goldsilvy)
What if an admission tutor will be put off by a quote at the beginning of PS and will have a negative attitude towards the PS throughout the process of reading (assuming that process will actually take place)?
This.
Do you think after decades of reading the same old guff year after year any admissions tutor will be impressed with a quote. I doubt you could find one they hadn't read loads of times before anyway!
Nfixlol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
This.
Do you think after decades of reading the same old guff year after year any admissions tutor will be impressed with a quote. I doubt you could find one they hadn't read loads of times before anyway!
so what? it's not the quote they're going to base their judgments on anyway, it's what you write following the quote and how you write it.
AlCapwn
Report 10 years ago
There is nothing you can really do that will truly stand out considering the amount of personal statements admissions tutors have read. Don't include the quote if it is using up valuable character space that you could use better, but if you have space I don't see a problem.
maljebo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by XBurkeyX)
Hey im just putting final touches to my PS and just need a nice beginning

quote too corny or a decent idea if i can find a good one?
wat course you applyin for?
Joy Division
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
stay clear *****
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apart from the fact that most of them have only forced relevance, as illustrated by the OP's inability to think of one, the use of quotations has a number of disadvantages and few, if any, advantages. They have a strong tendency to be irrelevant, corny, cliches. They represent what someone famous said about something unrelated to the candidate's application; the matter would be very different if a famous and relevant person had said something positive about the applicant's interest, ability and potential in the subject being applied for - but this is never the case. On the plus side, they demonstrate that the candidate either has access to a dictionary of quotations or can use an on-line search engine. That isn't very much is it? And we had a poster here a week or two back who managed to misquote his quotation. Not impressive.

Perhaps the worst thing about using a quotation is that it wastes space. You have to quote the words, and then go on to explain their (usually rather tenuous) relevance. When you consider that most applicants have difficulty in squeezing their statements into the space, this is negligent use of the space that is available and demonstrates poor judgement.

My firm advice is to steer clear.
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so what? it's not the quote they're going to base their judgments on anyway, it's what you write following the quote and how you write it.
We can only assume how admission tutors (AT) think.

One scenario is,

1) AT sees a quote at the beginning of PS
2) AT thinks - 'oh, yet another quote, yet another unimaginative applicant'
3) AT skims through the rest of PS without paying any attention to it
4) AT rejects an applicant without having a look at applicant's predicted grades, the rest of UCAS and/or reference. Reason for rejection - 'PS'. Time taken: < 1 minute.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well it depends. Can't say it's a good or bad idea without reading the thing really. :dontknow:
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by goldsilvy)
We can only assume how admission tutors (AT) think.

One scenario is,

1) AT sees a quote at the beginning of PS
2) AT thinks - 'oh, yet another quote, yet another unimaginative applicant'
3) AT skims through the rest of PS without paying any attention to it
4) AT rejects an applicant without having a look at applicant's predicted grades, the rest of UCAS and/or reference. Reason for rejection - 'PS'. Time taken: < 1 minute.
Well let's be honest, that's just bullcrap isn't it?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Assuming your PS is read at all, then any part of it may have an effect on the admissions tutor. Not necessarily a positive effect, but an effect nevertheless. Quotations have a strong tendency to give the impression that the candidate has run out of things to say, or can't think of anything original, or hasn't the judgment and ability to write a statement that is interesting without being tedious or corny.
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Well let's be honest, that's just bullcrap isn't it?
A possible to happen bullcrap.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (20)
22.99%
No (67)
77.01%

Watched Threads