The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dipless
Just did 5.1 miles in 41.14 mins... fairly please with that as it's hot and my calf is still a little tight... trying to start to build my weekly miles aiming for 25-28 this week so not a bad start

Have you tried rolling on it?

If you have a rolling pin put as much weight onto your calves as you can and try to roll back and forth over the most painful bits. It'll hurt a LOT but it works.
Going to be doing my third and final Week 8 run tomorrow :smile: I'd like to end up going a little bit further than I have done in my previous two runs. Then on Thursday its Week 9 = 30 mins running. Ahh!
Reply 2282
Original post by MHorman
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

I used to get shin splints epically after every run even fairly small ones(like 10/15 mins)and i would be unable to run for over a week...

Main thing i did was get proper running shoes fitted and tried to find grass to run on when i could.

Now i can run for 30 mins on solid ground and be fine(well i'm not fine, i fall over and almost die but my shins are fine:colondollar:)

Arg it's so annoying. A week on and I still have pain. Even doing little things brings on the pain, eg. I was out kite-flying this weekend and the pain returned (admittedly I was kite jumping a bit :tongue:). Guess I'm worried that all my hard work in building up my running fitness will be going to waste as I'm resting.
Original post by warwickorbristol
Have you tried rolling on it?

If you have a rolling pin put as much weight onto your calves as you can and try to roll back and forth over the most painful bits. It'll hurt a LOT but it works.

No I must say I haven't tried this! Will give it a try... do you know why it works? :confused: Thanks for advice
Reply 2284
Hello, shoe question I know nothing about this.

I've run about 400 miles in my current pair of shoes, which I think means they're nearing the end of their life. I think I want to buy two new pairs - one for training and one for a few 10ks and half marathons I have coming up, ending up with a marathon in september.

I probably don't want to spend much more than £150 for them both. Does anyone have any suggestions for either or both pairs?

I know nothing about the differences between shoes really, but just based on what I've seen available I was thinking these for racing - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/adidas-adizero-mana-5-shoes/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products and then a £60-80 pair of asics from sports direct for training...

Any input greatly appreciated!
Original post by Chewwy

Original post by Chewwy
Hello, shoe question I know nothing about this.

I've run about 400 miles in my current pair of shoes, which I think means they're nearing the end of their life. I think I want to buy two new pairs - one for training and one for a few 10ks and half marathons I have coming up, ending up with a marathon in september.

I probably don't want to spend much more than £150 for them both. Does anyone have any suggestions for either or both pairs?

I know nothing about the differences between shoes really, but just based on what I've seen available I was thinking these for racing - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/adidas-adizero-mana-5-shoes/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products and then a £60-80 pair of asics from sports direct for training...

Any input greatly appreciated!

I'm only a newbie at running but go and get your gait analysed at a proper running shop - they'll recommend you shoes within your price range. They even gave me tips on my running technique that's massively cut down the agonising pain I'm usually in :p: Sweatshop was the one I went to but there'll be others
I am a failure and didn't go for my dreaded run again today. Tomorrow morning, I will attempt it. Though running outdoors is a lot harder than on the treadmill so may not do very well. Oh well - it's all around A&E anyway!
What are the most important running stretches? I genuinely don't have a clue and google reveals all sorts so I tend to do a mix of everything after my run.
Original post by Aemiliana
I am a failure and didn't go for my dreaded run again today. Tomorrow morning, I will attempt it. Though running outdoors is a lot harder than on the treadmill so may not do very well. Oh well - it's all around A&E anyway!

How come you didn't go? Was it lack of motivation or was it time? I really struggled to start with until I realised WHY I was doing it, once I realised this I then found my motivation to get out and do it! For me it was realising that if I wanted to get better at climbing I HAD to lose some weight... I had reached a point where I couldn't improve.

Yours will be an entirely personal reason... but find that reason and put posters up related to that target... notes of your tagets around home, work, desks ... this seems to help keep me focused and driven!

Not trying to be preachy, just trying to offer some advice!

Keep going, good luck and yeah outdoor running is harder, think it's because the ground is solid and is quite hard on the joints.
Original post by dipless

Original post by dipless
How come you didn't go? Was it lack of motivation or was it time? I really struggled to start with until I realised WHY I was doing it, once I realised this I then found my motivation to get out and do it! For me it was realising that if I wanted to get better at climbing I HAD to lose some weight... I had reached a point where I couldn't improve.

Yours will be an entirely personal reason... but find that reason and put posters up related to that target... notes of your tagets around home, work, desks ... this seems to help keep me focused and driven!

Not trying to be preachy, just trying to offer some advice!

Keep going, good luck and yeah outdoor running is harder, think it's because the ground is solid and is quite hard on the joints.

Because of time - keep putting off revision :rolleyes: Which is of course a higher priority right now than running.
Original post by sleekchic
What are the most important running stretches? I genuinely don't have a clue and google reveals all sorts so I tend to do a mix of everything after my run.

HAMSTRINGS

By god mine are a mess

/probablyuselessadvice
Because of time - keep putting off revision :rolleyes: Which is of course a higher priority right now than running.

Fair enough - revision is certainly more important at the moment :biggrin: Hope it's going well!
Original post by dipless

Original post by dipless
Fair enough - revision is certainly more important at the moment :biggrin: Hope it's going well!

Yeah it is but running (well any exercise) helps me focus, so I should probably give it a higher priority! I'll be going at 5 though to try - my hip hurts every time I breathe in :lolwut: so I might not manage it. But I'll give it a bloody good try!

Hamstrings, quads, both calf muscles and maybe hip flexors. Do you need actual stretches?

Original post by dipless
No I must say I haven't tried this! Will give it a try... do you know why it works? :confused: Thanks for advice

It's all about soft tissue damage, the ideal thing is obviously getting a massage but rolling them is the next best thing.

If it's a recurring injury what's your warm up/down like? It might be you're not warming up properly or your calves aren't strong enough, both are easily fixable.
Hamstrings, quads, both calf muscles and maybe hip flexors. Do you need actual stretches?

It's all about soft tissue damage, the ideal thing is obviously getting a massage but rolling them is the next best thing.

If it's a recurring injury what's your warm up/down like? It might be you're not warming up properly or your calves aren't strong enough, both are easily fixable.

That's not really any different from what I already do.

Thanks
That's not really any different from what I already do.

Thanks

Yeah don't take my word for it; I'm a terrible strecther but those are the essentials I'd say.
Just been for a 1.3 mile run :smile:
My calf muscles were feeling pretty tight beforehand...anyone know any good stretches I can do?

TBH it's probably my warm down! My calfs are pretty strong... i'm a climber mainly. My warm up is good but my warm down is almost non existant. It's not been reoccuring so probably just a bit of over training on it.

I'll get te rolling pin on it tonight :wink:
I DID IT! I did 25 minutes without stopping! :woo: It was only 6k/hour but still! So proud of myself :colondollar:

Also, I've worked out that what normally stops me isn't that I'm not fit enough but that my calves hurt, so just need to get my body used to running and then I am gonna love it :woo:
I DID IT! I did 25 minutes without stopping! :woo: It was only 6k/hour but still! So proud of myself :colondollar:

Also, I've worked out that what normally stops me isn't that I'm not fit enough but that my calves hurt, so just need to get my body used to running and then I am gonna love it :woo:

wow! well done :biggrin:
I am nowhere near that yet lol :P I'm getting there...veeery slowly! I just need to find more interesting places to run!

Latest