The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4580
Go running bare foot, best for you and your feet will soon become conditioned to it...

I only do running to make sure I have some cardio, can't stand it. Not very good at it either...
Original post by zKlown
Go running bare foot, best for you and your feet will soon become conditioned to it...

I only do running to make sure I have some cardio, can't stand it. Not very good at it either...

I don't think running barefoot is a viable option for several obvious reasons. Since I started getting back into running a few weeks ago, I'm loving it more than ever. Trying to run faster, beat your goals, run for longer; I thoroughly enjoy it. It's helping me lose weight and keeping me fit, too! Also using the Nike+ on my iPod and being able to track my progress is great. I think I'll be purchasing the Nike Fuelband when it comes out. Not 100% sure yet though.

I'm going to purchase a running jacket as well this weekend, then not even the rain will stop me :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4582
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I don't think running barefoot is a viable option for several obvious reasons. Since I started getting back into running a few weeks ago, I'm loving it more than ever. Trying to run faster, beat your goals, run for longer; I thoroughly enjoy it. It's helping me lose weight and keeping me fit, too! Also using the Nike+ on my iPod and being able to track my progress is great. I think I'll be purchasing the Nike Fuelband when it comes out. Not 100% sure yet though.

I'm going to purchase a running jacket as well this weekend, then not even the rain will stop me :biggrin:

I actually prefer running in the rain lol. And yeah I'm gonna try run for longer when I get back into it...
Original post by zKlown
I actually prefer running in the rain lol. And yeah I'm gonna try run for longer when I get back into it...

I do enjoy running in the rain, but there's only so much water a hoodie can absorb before it feels like I'm running in a wet towel!
I've done a couple of 1.5 mile runs (I know its small but have to start somewhere) and they haven't gone too badly but I end up getting really painful stitches, any idea on how to reduce that?

I'm doing a charity 3 mile run in 6 weeks and wanted to be running more regularly but I haven't due to the rain (poor excuse I know), so does anyone have any advice on how to improve my running to 3 miles within 6 weeks? (also baring in mind that I should be revising pretty much non-stop for my exams the next three and a half weeks)
Reply 4585
Original post by ChelseyElla
I've done a couple of 1.5 mile runs (I know its small but have to start somewhere) and they haven't gone too badly but I end up getting really painful stitches, any idea on how to reduce that?

I'm doing a charity 3 mile run in 6 weeks and wanted to be running more regularly but I haven't due to the rain (poor excuse I know), so does anyone have any advice on how to improve my running to 3 miles within 6 weeks? (also baring in mind that I should be revising pretty much non-stop for my exams the next three and a half weeks)

C25K, with week 1 missed out and then just do one run of week 2 and possibly week 3, depending on how challenging it feels. C25K is 9 weeks long but if you get through a few 'weeks' in the space of a fortnight you'll hit the target within 6 weeks. The podcasts are available for free on iTunes from NHS Choices. I honestly can't think of a better way to get into running.
Original post by ChelseyElla

When I first started running I got stitches frequently. I always slowed my pace, made sure I stretched off before I went running and obviously avoid a large meal before you run. This seemed to work for me. As for running a 3 mile run; you just have to keep working at it. I'm not very experienced though so others might be able to suggest something more constructive given the time frame you want to achieve it in. When I first started running I couldn't run longer than half a mile without stopping, and from my experience you just have to keep pushing yourself harder each and every time you go. Before I stopped running I could manage runs of 5 miles no problem, but it took me longer than 6 weeks to achieve this. Now I'm working my way back up to that.
Original post by Chrisateen
I was hoping to get a bit of insight on this as my runs recently has been a bit weird.

Ok so a few weeks ago I managed to do 5km on the treadmill in under 25min. Then
when I went home in Manchester I managed to do 12km in just under 1hr which was a personal best for me. This is a huge jump from me when I usually go on the treadmill in the gym and run at an average pace of 11.3km for an hour run.

Then I went back to the gym and since have been struggling to get anywhere near my road running pace. I tried upping my speed to around 11.5-11.7km per hour and end up pressing the stop button after about 40-45min which is really frustrating. Even when I tried doing 5km in under 25min its like its a huge struggle for me.

Then I decided this week that because of exams and I didn't have time to travel to and fro my gym to do a couple of runs in Finsbury Park. When I did it the first time it was absolutely awful due to the fact that Finsbury Park has very steep hills compared to where I run in Manchester and very slow running up hill, I had KFC 2hours before running so started to feel a bit sick and also hate dogs so got a bit scared running around the dogs. In the end I think it took me about 55mins to do a 10k and haven't ran that slow in a long time.

Then today I woke up feeling unwell and decided however just to burn off some calories so I can eat a bit more today to go to Finsbury Park again but wasn't aiming to run that fast. Surprisingly though I managed to do 12km in 61mins 21sec which is really really good for me especially due to running up steep hills and its only just 1m 21sec below my personal best (and I wasn't 100% well either).

What on earth is going on with my runs :confused:. Why am I struggling soo much when I am on the treadmill. I know I run best on the road but surely it can't be that bad. Also I notice that my pacing for 5km and for 12km is not that much different from each other either and my 5km should be faster than 25min if I can do 12km in 60-61.5min.

Am I just weird or does anyone know what's going on and also have any theory as to what's going on :confused:

Running on treadmills makes loads of difference to me. Primarily the heat.

Otherwise though, yeah sometimes it seems odd when you run fast and when you don't. I think a lot of the time its quite psychological, and also factors that can make a big difference that people forget about are time of day (afternoons>>mornings), things like rest periods, and the weather.

I don't think anyone can analyse what you are doing right/wrong on a day to day basis more than you can though.
Is it better to have one set of trainers exclusively for road running and one for off-road use? Advice appreciated! :smile:

You may find that road shoes don't offer enough support for off-road running. I made the mistake of wearing road shoes and kept slipping. My off-road shoes (Nike Alvord) offer a lot more support than either pair of running shoes I have.
Original post by Ronove
C25K, with week 1 missed out and then just do one run of week 2 and possibly week 3, depending on how challenging it feels. C25K is 9 weeks long but if you get through a few 'weeks' in the space of a fortnight you'll hit the target within 6 weeks. The podcasts are available for free on iTunes from NHS Choices. I honestly can't think of a better way to get into running.

Thanks, I'm jumping straight to week 5 run two and seeing how that goes so should be ready in time :smile:

When I first started running I got stitches frequently. I always slowed my pace, made sure I stretched off before I went running and obviously avoid a large meal before you run. This seemed to work for me. As for running a 3 mile run; you just have to keep working at it. I'm not very experienced though so others might be able to suggest something more constructive given the time frame you want to achieve it in. When I first started running I couldn't run longer than half a mile without stopping, and from my experience you just have to keep pushing yourself harder each and every time you go. Before I stopped running I could manage runs of 5 miles no problem, but it took me longer than 6 weeks to achieve this. Now I'm working my way back up to that.

Thanks, I'll make sure I stretch properly this time, I tend not to do that so probably doesn't help me!
Looking forward to tomorrow's Parkrun; hopefully I'll do sub-nineteen...
Original post by zKlown

Running barefoot only works if you're prepared to analyse your stride and foot ball developing them for running barefoot, otherwise you risk doing more harm than good, which is why for one i've left my very clever friend to do it all by themselves :smile:
Reply 4592
Hi guys, I posted a thread on this, but this might be a better place for it:

I was wondering if my routine was okay. I'm an 18 year old guy, I'm 5"9.5 and weigh 154lb. Although I'm not overweight in terms of BMI, I would like to cut on the belly and face 'chubbiness' etc. for when I go to University in September.

I started doing high intensity running 3 times a week, where I warm up for 3 minutes on 5mph, sprint on 10mph for 30 seconds, then roughly a minute on 3.5, rinse and repeat for 6 times. Then warm down on 3.5 until I'm not out of breath any more.

I also do some (a few) ab, chest and arm work outs with the only weights we have in our house (Two 5kg dumbells). I do that about 3 times a week as well.

I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good way to cut on belly fat and also get some decent muscle going? (Ladies love a lean man, I'm told). Also how long would it take for the results to show? I've done it six times so far (I'm on my third week) and it's not really had any effect aesthetically or weight-wise to be honest.

I bolded my actual routine for the lazy people who don't care about my life. Is that okay for belly fat loss?
Looks like I'll be doing my first half-marathon in October.

Better get training!
I know this may seem like a silly question, but should runners take oil supplements? I've been told before that my rheumatoid level is a little high, but no action was needed, but I am a little afraid of damaging my knees. I have read two articles from livestrong and runners world that seem to purport the benefits of taking fish oil. Would it be wise to start consuming them, or would it be safer to consume one portion of oily fish a week? I have never taken any vitamin or mineral tablets.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tedaus
Hi guys, I posted a thread on this, but this might be a better place for it:

I was wondering if my routine was okay. I'm an 18 year old guy, I'm 5"9.5 and weigh 154lb. Although I'm not overweight in terms of BMI, I would like to cut on the belly and face 'chubbiness' etc. for when I go to University in September.

I started doing high intensity running 3 times a week, where I warm up for 3 minutes on 5mph, sprint on 10mph for 30 seconds, then roughly a minute on 3.5, rinse and repeat for 6 times. Then warm down on 3.5 until I'm not out of breath any more.

I also do some (a few) ab, chest and arm work outs with the only weights we have in our house (Two 5kg dumbells). I do that about 3 times a week as well.

I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good way to cut on belly fat and also get some decent muscle going? (Ladies love a lean man, I'm told). Also how long would it take for the results to show? I've done it six times so far (I'm on my third week) and it's not really had any effect aesthetically or weight-wise to be honest.

I bolded my actual routine for the lazy people who don't care about my life. Is that okay for belly fat loss?

Controlling diet is the most important part of any weight loss program.

Keep the weights heavy and you should get some muscle tone. It is good for weight loss to gain muscle too - raises basal metabolic rate.
(edited 11 years ago)
After thirty-one attempts and nearly four years, the Parkrun Personal Best is finally beaten...:woo: :woo: :woo:
Knee injury. Wah. I have a race in 2 weeks and then a half marathon 4 weeks after that.
Original post by KingMessi
After thirty-one attempts and nearly four years, the Parkrun Personal Best is finally beaten...:woo: :woo: :woo:

Congrats! What was your time in the end?
Original post by Nichrome
Congrats! What was your time in the end?

Thanks. :biggrin: 18:18...:colondollar:

Latest