The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
addylad
Me. They're insanely good. I got the Garmin 405CX, which comes with a heart rate monitor, for about 250 quid.

250 quid :eek: Talk about day light robbery :biggrin:

Well I was looking for something cheap and cheerful, that just tells me how much I have ran, currently looking at the nike strap, not sure whether its worth it or not ?
Reply 581
happydinosaur
I haven't been running for a week now :frown: Had a bad week and didn't feel up to it and now I'm feeling very unmotivated. Tomorrow morning I will drag myself out of bed and out for a long run, just hope I haven't lost too much fitness.

I only do one run a week but I make it a long one, I don't find myself losing any fitness. According to the competitive runners handbook, I think it's okay to take a week off but anything after that and de-training starts kicking in rapidly.

The best time to train I find is when you don't feel up to it, I know that sounds like a paradox. Forcing yourself to exercise when you can't even be bothered getting out of bed is a really good exercise in self-discipline and mental strength. No matter how bad you feel beforehand, you always end up feeling better afterwards.
Reply 582
Handbag
Wow! They are very colourful! How did your toenails get to that stage?

I'm training for a marathon at the minute and my minimum run is 3 hours. According to runners world, running downhill can cause it. If I'm running alone, I just do repeated laps on this path near my house so I'm up and down hill all the time. I average about 18 laps in a run, 18 uphill and 18 downhill. It's a bad path to run on really, it's covered in litter/debris and it's really uneven. It's convenient though.

I've read 'Ultramarathon man' by Dean Karnazes (in fact that book inspired me and my mate to start running) and he lost all his toenails doing an ultramarathon.
iwwhty
I only do one run a week but I make it a long one, I don't find myself losing any fitness. According to the competitive runners handbook, I think it's okay to take a week off but anything after that and de-training starts kicking in rapidly.

The best time to train I find is when you don't feel up to it, I know that sounds like a paradox. Forcing yourself to exercise when you can't even be bothered getting out of bed is a really good exercise in self-discipline and mental strength. No matter how bad you feel beforehand, you always end up feeling better afterwards.

Normally I would have forced myself out, but I haven't been eating well and have felt quite sick all week so decided running would end badly.
happydinosaur
I haven't been running for a week now :frown: Had a bad week and didn't feel up to it and now I'm feeling very unmotivated. Tomorrow morning I will drag myself out of bed and out for a long run, just hope I haven't lost too much fitness.

it takes three months not training to lose sufficent fitness so I wouldn't worry as long as you take it slow. I didn't run for a fortnight then managed my furthest distance
How far do you run?
5K alone or 10k with friends.

How long do you run for?
20 mins alone or double that when with friends.

Where do you run?

Parkrun.org In the UK. In the countryside when at home.

What do you listen to?

The silence of the land.

Why do you do it?
Like chassing after bikes, good motivation especially if one's going slowly enough.

Do you have any aims?
Beat 17 min mark for 5k
Todays run was terrible but I'm glad I tried. Managed about 30mins running but wasn't feeling it at all. My dad is taking me out tomorrow and will help me attempt to reach 6km.
Does this sound ok to maintain a good level of fitness in running (Marathon 3 hours 45 mins, Half 1 hour 42 minutes 9 seconds):
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 6 miles fast
Wednesday - 13 miles
Thursday - 6 miles easy
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 4 miles with 8 short sprints
Sunday - 13-15 miles?

Thanks.
Sort your goals out guys !!

A half marathon in 1:09 equates to a marathon time of ~2h25 (it is FAR better than a 3 hour marathon which anyone can do). If you ever want a hope to run anything like this fast you will never do it without first getting the base speed blatchcorn.

Also pie monster if you are only just running 40 mins dont try and aim for a ridiculous 5k time. UK ranking for the senior male 5000m race starts at 16.45 and you need to be running at 5.20 min miles to achieve this.

Have your goals as achievable ones to keep your motivation high. Good luck.
Revenged
Sort your goals out guys !!

A half marathon in 1:09 equates to a marathon time of ~2h25 (it is FAR better than a 3 hour marathon which anyone can do). If you ever want a hope to run anything like this fast you will never do it without first getting the base speed blatchcorn.

Also pie monster if you are only just running 40 mins dont try and aim for a ridiculous 5k time. UK ranking for the senior male 5000m race starts at 16.45 and you need to be running at 5.20 min miles to achieve this.

Have your goals as achievable ones to keep your motivation high. Good luck.

Sorry but a did a quick reply, which messed up the formatting of my times. I have ammended them now.
ok fair enough. stick to 1 long run a week mate + also with the speed sessions you'd need the next the day off / short easy recovery run to recover.
If you're looking to increase speedwise with it being track season, what sort of distance would you do for the long weekend run? Doing speedwork twice a week now, plus the occasional run in-between.
Benny_b
Ermmm correct me if I'm wrong but 4.15 miles in 35 mins works out at over 8 minute miles, infact according to my calculator that is 8.43minute miles. That's decent though, keep increasing the distance and incorporate shorter, faster runs as well which will be vital if you want to do a 1:45 half marathon.

I had big problems with my shins when I started running, after a few months it went away, resting up properly, only going for 3 highly quality runs a week helped as well. As opposed to doing 4/5 shorter runs that is.

My bad, it was in 31.58, which is 7m43s per mile. :smile:
addylad
My bad, it was in 31.58, which is 7m43s per mile. :smile:

I appreciate the rep, thank you! :biggrin:
BrightGirl
I appreciate the rep, thank you! :biggrin:

It was well deserved miss. :smile:
manx1991
it takes three months not training to lose sufficent fitness

I missed almost the whole month of March and I really do feel like my fitness took a hit. :eek3: I've lost a bit of pace, easy runs were at about 8.45/mile before and now they are 9-9.10/mile pace. Frustrating, but I just have to build back up to where I was. 6-8 mile long run tomorrow, weather permitting...
Does anyone know how I can incorporate some slow steady state running into my routine? I've been doing 20 minute HIIT sessions for a month or so now, but I also want to do some slow running sessions on other days. How do I incorporate it and where do I start?

Obviously I'm not expecting that I'll be able to do a full on 20minute run/jog since its not as intense as HIIT so should I just start with a 10 minute jog on other days and increase it every session or ever week?
addylad
If you're looking to increase speedwise with it being track season, what sort of distance would you do for the long weekend run? Doing speedwork twice a week now, plus the occasional run in-between.

hard question to answer. lots of variables. my training is primarily focused on speedwork so i'd say do more speedwork :biggrin:.

i'd say 3 speed session + 1 hour jog. for the summer i'd do 2 anaerobic sessions + 1 aerobic (with the long run being aerobic) - so it's a good 50:50 balance.

i have had to cut the long run out completely due to work but i still do one endurance session so my fitness is very good but i really miss running. i cant wait until i'm free to train again. love it :woo: :yep:
sleekchic
Does anyone know how I can incorporate some slow steady state running into my routine? I've been doing 20 minute HIIT sessions for a month or so now, but I also want to do some slow running sessions on other days. How do I incorporate it and where do I start?

Obviously I'm not expecting that I'll be able to do a full on 20minute run/jog since its not as intense as HIIT
so should I just start with a 10 minute jog on other days and increase it every session or ever week?

:confused: I think HIIT is a lot tougher than LISS running. Or is there a typo?

I have a question for you running experts - I have had 3 kneecap dislocations in the past, and stopped running - I used to run outside. So anyway I started running again a year after my last dislocation -
but this time on treadmills for short periods of HIIT (20 mins) or perhaps up to 45 minutes of fartlek type treadmills. So I need new trainers.

Would it be worth my getting a proper consultation, given I probably run for a maximum of 2 hrs 30 mins a week? Or will I be okay just getting a cheapish pair of Asics with motion-control? Right now I don't fancy spending more than £50 for a pair of trainers and there are sales on at my local sportsworld - unless of course it really is necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated.
pearlearrings
:confused: I think HIIT is a lot tougher than LISS running. Or is there a typo?

I have a question for you running experts - I have had 3 kneecap dislocations in the past, and stopped running - I used to run outside. So anyway I started running again a year after my last dislocation -
but this time on treadmills for short periods of HIIT (20 mins) or perhaps up to 45 minutes of fartlek type treadmills. So I need new trainers.

Would it be worth my getting a proper consultation, given I probably run for a maximum of 2 hrs 30 mins a week? Or will I be okay just getting a cheapish pair of Asics with motion-control? Right now I don't fancy spending more than £50 for a pair of trainers and there are sales on at my local sportsworld - unless of course it really is necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Latest