Turn on thread page Beta

Salters Chemistry of Materials! watch

ReputationRep:
    i want to do a level intesnsive course this yr in sep 05.do u know which college i can do.plz pm me with any inf it would be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    was the Mr for the first question 93 or 92? cos the only way it seemed to work was if it was 93 and i swear thats wrong. what order reactions did everyone get? that was the hardest paper ever!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexbex)
    was the Mr for the first question 93 or 92? cos the only way it seemed to work was if it was 93 and i swear thats wrong. what order reactions did everyone get? that was the hardest paper ever!!!
    I put 93, I think I should have put 92.

Orders, i got first first second, in that order

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    I put 93, I think I should have put 92.

Orders, i got first first second, in that order

it was 93, don't worry, which meant the peak at 77 corresponded to a loss of 16, which was equal to the amine (NH2) group coming off the benzene ring. Took me a little while to get that, i'd shoved down 92 and 15 = ch3 before thinking about it properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    it was 93, don't worry, which meant the peak at 77 corresponded to a loss of 16, which was equal to the amine (NH2) group coming off the benzene ring. Took me a little while to get that, i'd shoved down 92 and 15 = ch3 before thinking about it properly
    ah phew I got the same. I first put 94 though (why would it be 92? each peak corresponds to a positive ion right so surely if the Mr one was 93, it had lost an electron so should be 93+1?) Anyhow I changed it all and wrote down what you did.

did anyone get 1,6 - diaminohexane for that diamine and what is the reagent for amide formation? I know I got that wrong cos I put down the other reactant instead (ethanoic acid). doh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    I did that at first, then changed my mind. My motto for this paper was 'read the bloody question'.. you would not believe how many marks I lose by being so eager to get an answer down.

and jakatak, what do you mean by
    what is the reagent for amide formation? I know I got that wrong cos I put down the other reactant instead (ethanoic acid). doh.
    I can't remeber the qustion :-'

ReputationRep:
    I did that at first, then changed my mind. My motto for this paper was 'read the bloody question'.. you would not believe how many marks I lose by being so eager to get an answer down.

and jakatak, what do you mean by

I can't remeber the qustion :-'
    I think it was the first question with acetanilide - NH2 goes to NH2COCH3 (both attached to benzene ring).The question was what are the conditions and reagents for the formation of acetanilide? I put conditions: heat under reflux but not sure about reagents.

ReputationRep:
    Wow i'm glad it was the amine group and 93!!
    I was sat there thinking is it Carbon13?? because where would the amine group come from!? Cos i didn't read that A was an amine so i was busy making it a phenol somehow... so can't remember any chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Aw Bekaboo don't worry about it. What's done is done, no amount of worrying about it is going to change anything.. she says frantically seeking the 'truth' ..ahem. You may find that you're pleasantly surprised in August anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    I remember writing something about heat under reflux with H2SO4, couldnt' remember if it was conc or dilute.

How about that question saying what did it mean by heat under reflux?????

ReputationRep:
    I remember writing something about heat under reflux with H2SO4, couldnt' remember if it was conc or dilute.

How about that question saying what did it mean by heat under reflux?????
    That was a bit sneaky, could have given space to draw diagram (this goes for the TLC one too). I just basically wrote how the reflux apparatus is set up - pear shaped flask etc. Thinking back I should have written how it is used to boil volatile liquids, gases can't escape etc. doh. what did u put?

ReputationRep:
    Oh hell i couldn't remember if you put a lid on to reflux
    either you DO or that is a HUGE mistake - i remember it as an extreme :p:
    I just said about containing volatile products so they could be reheated many times...

ReputationRep:
    LEAVE THE LID OFF! that was the extreme!

I put both reagents heated in a pear shaped flask so reaction goes to colpetion without loss of reactions by evaporation on heating

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.