Turn on thread page Beta

INDIE Vs METAL!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Indie all the way!

All the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Why is it that everyone thinks that you can't hear metal/gothic bands!
    Maybe I just have bad hearing Trust me, I'm not totally against metal/gothic bands. I have RATM, SOAD, Deftones (well, those 3 aren't exactly indie :p: ) CDs... I just prefer indie music to heavier stuff. I can hear the lyrics!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so much stereotyping in this thread, so why even bother posting. And for what it's worth, I prefer metal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    Maybe I just have bad hearing Trust me, I'm not totally against metal/gothic bands. I have RATM, SOAD, Deftones (well, those 3 aren't exactly indie :p: ) CDs... I just prefer indie music to heavier stuff. I can hear the lyrics!
    Then you have Alkaline trio, simple plan, jimmy eat world ect. There is not just one kind of metal, there is many different types and each of these sub-genres will have a different sound.

ReputationRep:
    you can hear SOADs lyrics basically all the time....you just cant when serj says them super fast thats all!
    + ian u realise your fave members is just the whole Dizzy Gangstas crew lol:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    simple plan is basically pop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajdabrill)
    simple plan is basically pop!
    Well, I was using a wide range of bands as an example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Then you have Alkaline trio, simple plan, jimmy eat world ect. There is not just one kind of metal, there is many different types and each of these sub-genres will have a different sound.
    Hang on, you're saying they are metal?

Aw, Jimmy Eat World was my first gig

Anywho! I still prefer indie

ReputationRep:
    you can hear SOADs lyrics basically all the time....you just cant when serj says them super fast thats all!
    + ian u realise your fave members is just the whole Dizzy Gangstas crew lol:rolleyes:
    yeah lol, thats all i can think of
    INDIE is for people that want to get away from pop and end up with that type of music...not realising that its basically pop and there back where they started. Its pop but with guitars and drums people immedialty think its rock

ReputationRep:
    well i suppose very few bands fall simply into any catergory so you cant say.
    i can though seeing as i dont like indie music anymore
    metal is much more my style
    :rock:

ReputationRep:
    Indie isn't a genre. And neither are you. Yes, you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    Hang on, you're saying they are metal?

Aw, Jimmy Eat World was my first gig

Anywho! I still prefer indie
    I am syaying that they can be counted by some people, just as much nu-metal can be.

ReputationRep:
    well i suppose very few bands fall simply into any catergory so you cant say.
    i can though seeing as i dont like indie music anymore
    metal is much more my style
    :rock:
    yeah same here. like that maroon 5 cd i bought. replaced with soad, metallica, nivana, etc

ReputationRep:
    I like the good music from either type, why would you listen to rubbish metal over good indie or vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    because there is no good indie

ReputationRep:
    I believe that if your a fan of music, genres are just a wall that prevents you from exploring and experiencing all different kinds of musicians and styles. Dont limit yourself. And if i was going to judge, indie and metal are not a million miles apart of the musical spectrum. But then again, you could say that about any genres i suppose, as is music.

I therefore, like both.

ReputationRep:
    metal wins hands down!!!

ReputationRep:
    whoo! Indie

ReputationRep:
    RAMMSTEIN! lol :P

I like Indie and I like Metal, but then again, I listen to pretty much everything - ranging from Classical, Pop, Trance/Dance, Metal, Rock, Indie...I could go on listing insignificant genres - Everyone always redefines genres anyway! I mean now there's "Screamo" and "Post Hardcore blah blah blah"

I like the energy of metal/rock, whether it be heavy "screaming" vocals or awesome vocals such as Serj from SOAD. 36 Crazyfists, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Deftones, Korn, Slipknot, Metallica, Rammstein, Tool, Limp Bizkit, Norma Jean, Disturbed, Dry Kill Logic, Linkin Park, Nine Inch Nails (if you consider them Metal) - the list goes on of awesome "Metal"/"Rock" bands!

Indie is good in my opinion, when done well - Bloc Party are a current indie fave of mine - great jangly guitars! The Cure and Kasabian are also quality bands. Let us not forget The Stone Roses also

Unfortunately I think there is a lot of "bad" indie coming out at the moment, more so than "bad" metal/rock. Everything is beginning to sound very "samey" in the indie charts...but this happens everywhere I suppose....

I do notice that when I go out (I go to Metal/Rock clubs) there's a lot of hatred for "Emo" and indie - But everyone thrives off stereotypes don't they?

ReputationRep:
    guys, what happened to the system of the down thread???? cant find it!!!!!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.