Turn on thread page Beta

INDIE Vs METAL!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)

Secondly, most of you aren't even talking about "proper" metal. SOAD, Deftones, Slipknot, etc are all nu-metal bands. Try listening to some: After Forever, Amon Amarth, Angra, Anthrax, Arch Enemy, Behemoth, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, Bloodbath, Brainstorm, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Dio, Dream Evil, Dream Theater, Edguy, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Firewind, Gamma Ray, Hatesphere, Helloween, Iced Earth, Intense, Jag Panzer, Judas Priest, Kamelot, Katatonia, Kreator, Megadeth, Metallica, Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Opeth, Orphaned Land, Pantera, Rhapsody, Rush, Sentenced, Sinergy, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Tarot, Testament, Turisas, Warmen...
    See that's why indie has to win look at the names of those bands hardly very cheerful are they?

ReputationRep:
    nice username.....

ReputationRep:
    Both Indie and Metal are equally as good as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silhouette)
    METAL METAL METAL.

No two ways around that one. Metal wins in every single way. I havn't read any posts on this thread but everyone who says Indie is silly. Metal owns this poll.
    In that case I'm silly. So shoot me.

ReputationRep:
    I say Metal, mainly because I identify a lot with what some of these bands are saying in their music. The people who keep going on about not being able to hear the lyrics obviously haven't listened to a very broad range of bands, i.e. try comparing Napalm Death with Iron Maiden/Judas Priest and yet all bands are considered to be metal (although Maiden apparently have always seen themselves as heavy rock ).

I dunno, shoot me down if you disagree but what indie I've heard has been about catchy happy music with little depth to it or a depressing dirge and I just want to listen to stuff with a lot more energy and meaning. I think Iron Maiden have written one semi-quasi love song in their entire 25+ years as a band and that was in 1981. So yeah, Metal all the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    Firstly, indie is utter boring crap.

Secondly, most of you aren't even talking about "proper" metal. SOAD, Deftones, Slipknot, etc are all nu-metal bands. Try listening to some: After Forever, Amon Amarth, Angra, Anthrax, Arch Enemy, Behemoth, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, Bloodbath, Brainstorm, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Dio, Dream Evil, Dream Theater, Edguy, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Firewind, Gamma Ray, Hatesphere, Helloween, Iced Earth, Intense, Jag Panzer, Judas Priest, Kamelot, Katatonia, Kreator, Megadeth, Metallica, Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Opeth, Orphaned Land, Pantera, Rhapsody, Rush, Sentenced, Sinergy, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Tarot, Testament, Turisas, Warmen...
    You are totally right and I love nearly all of those bands.

Also being able to understand the vocals does not make music bad you know. There is some very good music that doesn't even have vocals. Erm I think you can already tell which type of music I prefer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nisko)
    I love metal but I hate hardcore, its usually just a bunch of big blokes shouting about how hard they are. I've heard it described as "chav metal", very fitting.
    most of its political rather than just "i'm hard"
    whereas most metal is "i'm hard and i'll chop the orcs up with my axe"

ReputationRep:
    Metal, but it would be better if bands such as Metallica, SOAD and others didn't attempt to claim their music to be metal, they juss = lame.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone like Kreator, my friend likes them and im juss getting into them, they are the ****ing bomb.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Kreator are awesome \m/

ReputationRep:
    I like both. I don't like metal that is too hardcore though, i much prefer dark, more powerful/orchestral, rather than just loud/random guitar thrashing.
    With indie, it depends on my mood if i like it or not. Sometimes its good, but sometimes it can sound a little vanilla.

ReputationRep:
    Indie all the way, although i do like some metal like linkin park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pirate Roberts)
    (although Maiden apparently have always seen themselves as heavy rock ).
    I'd say they are NWOBHM.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm indie vs metal? great bands from both....couldnt really decide between the two. based on my current mood id go with indie, but it really does depend on my mood.
    anyway, they're both great genres

ReputationRep:
    Indie. Metal is utter ****. I mean I like a bit of a rock (a la Aerosmith et al). But Metal, as in what, Slipknot and people? Pass me a bucket...or a ****ing hearing aid seen as you can never tell what they're saying anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Why is it that everyone thinks that you can't hear metal/gothic bands!
    A lot of them you can, right? The ones I listen to anyway. I seem to be able to hear what they're saying better than pop bands!

ReputationRep:
    Hey out of curiosity, is Indie like 'alternative' music? I'm just wondering b/c I'm not from UK, but where I live, bands such as Linkin Park, Smashing Pumkins and Silverchair are generally under the alternative umbrella. Which is why I'm asking

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, generally I don't listen to metal, so that leaves me with indie by default.

But so many bands fall under both terms so it's hard to say.

I listen to most things really. A lot of twee indiepop-type stuff at the moment. You just can't beat a good pop song...

ReputationRep:
    Easily Metal, metal wins hands down because Indie IMO is utter sh*t. I do like one or 2 indie songs, however metal is so much better - metal musicians are so much more talented, and there are tons of metal bands with talented singers, lets see: Iron Maiden, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Megadeth, Metallica. Even though I cant stand bands like Cradle of Filth and Trivium, I still recognise their talent, their guitar riffs are way better than what any Indie band plays... At the end of the day, Indie sucks, metal rules, I just cant stand indie, it depends on opinion really, so IMO metal is a billion times better than indie music.

ReputationRep:
    id say both are boring and have been watered down and packaged for you lot by the majors... probably some good old back catalogues, but if you're talking about new music, neither is exciting anymore

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.