Turn on thread page Beta

INDIE Vs METAL!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tidasquall)
    Easily Metal, metal wins hands down because Indie IMO is utter sh*t. I do like one or 2 indie songs, however metal is so much better - metal musicians are so much more talented, and there are tons of metal bands with talented singers, lets see: Iron Maiden, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Megadeth, Metallica. Even though I cant stand bands like Cradle of Filth and Trivium, I still recognise their talent, their guitar riffs are way better than what any Indie band plays... At the end of the day, Indie sucks, metal rules, I just cant stand indie, it depends on opinion really, so IMO metal is a billion times better than indie music.
    Top man. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joppajoppa)
    id say both are boring and have been watered down and packaged for you lot by the majors... probably some good old back catalogues, but if you're talking about new music, neither is exciting anymore
    "boring" is your opinion but if you think metal has been "watered down and packaged for you lot by the majors" then you obviously haven't explored the genre well if at all. Out of curiosity, what interesting, fully flavoured style of music do you listen to?

Indie. Metal is utter ****. I mean I like a bit of a rock (a la Aerosmith et al). But Metal, as in what, Slipknot and people? Pass me a bucket...or a ****ing hearing aid seen as you can never tell what they're saying anyway...
    No, not Slipknot. What is it they say about "know your enemy"? We're talking about genuine metal bands (or at least I am) - see my earlier post where I listed 50 or so metal bands.

The ignorance in this thread astounds me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    erm...it's indie rock and roll for me?

ReputationRep:
    INDIE, INDIE, INDIE...

The ignorance in this thread astounds me
    The arrogance in this thread astounds me!

I can't be bothered going back to look at the bands you listed, but those you did, I've probably never heard of anyway...because I don't like Metal.

ReputationRep:
    Metal. More recently I've listened to indie bands a bit, but there are far more amazing metal bands than indie. Indie is like rock but not proper rock. Gah. It's okay.

ReputationRep:
    metal all the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    The arrogance in this thread astounds me!
    Please show me one example of my arrogance.

I can't be bothered going back to look at the bands you listed, but those you did, I've probably never heard of anyway...because I don't like Metal.
    You've never heard of the bands, yet you know you don't like them. Have you heard any metal bands? I'd guess you're probably basing your opinion of metal on nu metal bands.

ReputationRep:
    You've never heard of the bands, yet you know you don't like them. Have you heard any metal bands? I'd guess you're probably basing your opinion of metal on nu metal bands.
    Nah, Nu-Metal is all Linkin' Park and Limp Bizkit isn't it? My uncle likes proper Metal from 'back in the day' as he would say. I think it's dire, personally. :p: I mean, don't get me wrong, I like classic rock, such as; Aerosmith, Queen, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi etc, I just don't like metal. Rock rocks though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah Skermer)
    What does everyone prefer? indie music or metal???

we tend to have this argument pretty much daily at sixth form, i think Indie wins hands down

LexXx
    METAL!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the people who are saying 'Indie musicians are crap on their guitars' have got it quite right. In some cases bands like Babyshambles/Libertines/Pavement etc are supposed to sound rough around the edges, so the instruments may not sound exactly 'polished'. However on the other band a lot of metal bands just drop down to drop D and bounce around on the open strings. There isn't a great deal of technical ability in that at all. If we're harping on about technical musicianship then prog rock wins hands down, as the players in that genre are, more often than not, at an astounding level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    "boring" is your opinion but if you think metal has been "watered down and packaged for you lot by the majors" then you obviously haven't explored the genre well if at all. Out of curiosity, what interesting, fully flavoured style of music do you listen to?
    alright, ill bite

ive got a friend whoes sorted me out a lot of metal mp3's ... hes well into it, not 'nu' metal either [which i told him i couldnt be doing with]... I was basically saying that of the things hed sent me, it was the older material like ACDC etc which i had enjoyed most. I think metal today has got pretty one dimensional [thats what i thought when i listened to it anyway] compared to those earlier incarnations of the genre. I actually really like the 'sound' of metal... harsh distortion etc etc , but its become almost formulaic now to my ears.

Currently, if i wanna hear something exciting, ill listen to Grime which i think is really pushing things musically, and Baile Funk from Brazil, which is mad music from the Favelas made by 14 year old kids.

Also: Of course its my opinion, how else am i supposed to answer? with a statistical analysis of the music? you gonna explain how to not respond with an opinion with regards to music? Dont be stupid sunshine, its always gonna be subjective.

"The ignorance in this thread astounds me"

That comment is pretty immature and ill advised, you know nothing of my knowledge of music beyond the comment i made in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kan3)
    If we're harping on about technical musicianship then prog rock wins hands down, as the players in that genre are, more often than not, at an astounding level.

Proof that great technicial ability does not always mean the songs will be good

ReputationRep:
    Melodic Metal. Or goth Metal.

Therefore whoever said you can't hear any of that "shouting crap", is SO wrong :p:

Hmmm... I like metal but a lot of the time, the vocals ruin it for me. So I'll say indie.

ReputationRep:
    I think metal today has got pretty one dimensional [thats what i thought when i listened to it anyway] compared to those earlier incarnations of the genre. I actually really like the 'sound' of metal... harsh distortion etc etc , but its become almost formulaic now to my ears.
    Listen to Cannibal Corpse then Blind Guardian then Stratovarius then Slayer then Dark Throne. Metal is actually one of the most diverse genres out there IMO certainly more so than indie which falls into one of two catergories - dirge and whine

ReputationRep:
    ive got a friend whoes sorted me out a lot of metal mp3's ... hes well into it, not 'nu' metal either [which i told him i couldnt be doing with]... I was basically saying that of the things hed sent me, it was the older material like ACDC etc which i had enjoyed most. I think metal today has got pretty one dimensional [thats what i thought when i listened to it anyway] compared to those earlier incarnations of the genre. I actually really like the 'sound' of metal... harsh distortion etc etc , but its become almost formulaic now to my ears.
    I don't think metal is one dimensional at all. Please give some examples of the bands that you drew this conclusion from.

Also, ACDC are not metal.

Also: Of course its my opinion, how else am i supposed to answer? with a statistical analysis of the music? you gonna explain how to not respond with an opinion with regards to music? Dont be stupid sunshine, its always gonna be subjective.
    You misunderstand. Read the sentence again - I was saying that "boring" is your opinion (and you're entitled to it) but I disagree with your statement that metal has been "watered down and packaged."

"The ignorance in this thread astounds me"

That comment is pretty immature and ill advised, you know nothing of my knowledge of music beyond the comment i made in this thread.
    It wasn't aimed at you.

ReputationRep:
    indie, but a bit of metal every now and again is good

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.