Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    *shuders* those CGP books crack such immature jokes all the time, makes me think they arent good enough for AS levels. I trust the letts books more ot be honest. Just ordered psychology text book http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg nice little picture of a cat on a brain there I tried revising biology but seemed too complicated, should get a textbook for that too rather than revision guide.
    My sister's got that exact same book lol! Should've asked me I'd have had her sent you it! :> Mja, I agree about CGP, I detest the "joke-like" and "not-serious but serious" approaches to learning. All I want from a guide is coherence, enough detail (without being detailled), examples, expert advice and most importantly sample questions. Another reason I dislike CGP is because I feel they are highly patronising. I mean, this is "advanced education" we are in, and yet CGP make out as if its "easy and simple" - which is false and misleading.
    I'm going to start revising Bio soon too hopefully; I agree it does seem complicated. What exam board are you doing for Bio?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting.....wait for it.....a piano stool if I do well in my exams. Fair though, considering my parents splashed out 3 grand on my new sexy beast of a piano. My brother though is getting £20 for each subject if he gets the highest grades in his year 9 SATS. How unfair is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    My sister's got that exact same book lol! Should've asked me I'd have had her sent you it! :> Mja, I agree about CGP, I detest the "joke-like" and "not-serious but serious" approaches to learning. All I want from a guide is coherence, enough detail (without being detailled), examples, expert advice and most importantly sample questions. Another reason I dislike CGP is because I feel they are highly patronising. I mean, this is "advanced education" we are in, and yet CGP make out as if its "easy and simple" - which is false and misleading.
    I'm going to start revising Bio soon too hopefully; I agree it does seem complicated. What exam board are you doing for Bio?
    Lol i know, surprised CGP sell to be honest, and im doing OCR for bio

And thanks for the offer for psycho book I should have gone ot the bloody biology lesson today, mates and I felt like a long 2 hour lunch, lol my school doesnt mind if 6th formers waltz in an hour after lunch

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me, I was recommended Fullick & Fullick for Bio and Chem textbooks... Might be worth you doin' an online search and maybe getting an online discount... I'm personally gunna wait a while and see what these Philip Allan books do for me. You are right though, in the end you will need some more extensive reading to help give a broader view of how everything fits.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i know, surprised CGP sell to be honest, and im doing OCR for bio

And thanks for the offer for psycho book I should have gone ot the bloody biology lesson today, mates and I felt like a long 2 hour lunch, lol my school doesnt mind if 6th formers waltz in an hour after lunch
    Ahh, are your school giving you a few days to of Sixth Form life? Trying to wet your tongues are they? :eviltongu

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, are your school giving you a few days to of Sixth Form life? Trying to wet your tongues are they? :eviltongu
    Yep, my school are really laid back with 6th formers. I think that approach will mean some pupils will be late to every lesson and might not even turn up for them.

Biology book cover looks scary :eek: looks good though..

ReputationRep:
    have you all got your alevel text books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowie88)
    Not textbooks, but I've got some Philip Allan revision guides (quality). I may get some textbooks sooner-or-later (definitely before the end of the holidays). But there are definitely a few of us on here (myself and Markus namely) who have started a bit of prep work for AS.

ReputationRep:
    Not textbooks, but I've got some Philip Allan revision guides (quality). I may get some textbooks sooner-or-later (definitely before the end of the holidays). But there are definitely a few of us on here (myself and Markus namely) who have started a bit of prep work for AS.
    ive started some too, mainly art. Ive almost completed all my prep and what ive done im really happy with.

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to get a slight head start and ease myself into AS level intensity really. Make the "gap" between AS and GCSE smaller so-to-speak.

ReputationRep:
    I have to pay for two of my own (psychology and economics) and dont know about biology and history. We havnt been given them yet but it's advantegeous just to start a bit of studying before september. Also it's something to do over another 2 months of free time..

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to get a slight head start and ease myself into AS level intensity really. Make the "gap" between AS and GCSE smaller so-to-speak.
    dont out do yourself, remember youre on holiday!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. But I like studying ( :rofl: I sound like such a geek ).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. But I like studying ( :rofl: I sound like such a geek ).
    (Speak in a voice similar to Derek from Big Brother)
    "Knowledge is power"

ReputationRep:
    Holidays are supposed to be fun...im not having fun, just plain bored out of my skull. So studying seems an attractive prospect at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Speak in a voice similar to Derek from Big Brother)
    "Knowledge is power"
    You know the old lottery ads where the massive finger comes down ad says "it could be yooouuuu"

Would sound better in that voice :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    You know the old lottery ads where the massive finger comes down ad says "it could be yooouuuu"

Would sound better in that voice :rofl:
    yes thats really appropriate. Do you watch Big Brother?

ReputationRep:
    yes thats really appropriate. Do you watch Big Brother?
    Sure do, i get so ridiculed because of the fact i watch it and i seldom find a response contradicting the fact that im sad because of it :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm lovin' BB this year; although they are getting desperate, I mean Makosi pregnant? LOL.

P.S. Why isn't my sig showing?

ReputationRep:
    Ok it is... (Pointless post count builder this is).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.