The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Shamen
Your search - stages+ pwnage - did not match any documents.

:rolleyes:

You were pretty naive to think they would, tbh.

However, that's you, taking things at face value and thinking in only one direction. Because, of course, English is the only language spoken in the world and search engines provide all the answers. :rolleyes:
Reply 261
zhivago
I'm not a scapegoat. You're a tit.

Grow up. When you can be mature and sensible, then come back, until then, go away (as it was so clear a few hours ago that you hated me and couldn't be bothered to reply to me).
Reply 262
oilcan
You were pretty naive to think they would, tbh.

However, that's you, taking things at face value and thinking in only one direction. Because, of course, English is the only language spoken in the world and search engines provide all the answers. :rolleyes:

Hmm, just wanted to shut you up really (gosh that backfired). :rolleyes:
Reply 263
Shamen
Hmm, just wanted to shut you up really (gosh that backfired). :rolleyes:

Let's not beat around the bush, yeah; I humiliated you in front of the whole forum and you couldn't take it so now you've come back for cheap shots and I've ridden them all thus meaning you have to resort to this - openly admitting I am getting to you and not being able to do a thing about it. :smile:
Reply 264
oilcan
Let's not beat around the bush, yeah; I humiliated you in front of the whole forum and you couldn't take it so now you've come back for cheap shots and I've ridden them all thus meaning you have to resort to this - openly admitting I am getting to you and not being able to do a thing about it. :smile:

Why don't you let people make up their own minds as to what happened in this argument? Stop feeding them with thoughts, that's just, desperation... Anyway, I could've wasted alot more energy on you and maybe even, in your eyes, been a better debater; however, no matter what is said to you, you won't admit defeat/that you are wrong, and that makes a bad debater. You have to know when to admit defeat, and I am admitting defeat here, and shamfully so, I am doing so because it is almost impossible to have a coherent, straight forward, sensible argument with you. Nighty night.
Reply 265
Shamen
I am admitting defeat here, and shamfully so. Nighty night.

Sweet dreams. :smile:
Reply 266
Sweet dreams.

Nice.
Reply 267
Meat Loaf Rocks
GCSE's are designed to be a measure of intelligence, ie the understanding you have of a subject.

Dedication commitment are personality traits, which shouldn't be measured by GCSE's.

Obviously personality traits will have an effect on your grades but they should not be the determining factor.

There is a proven theory, I can't remember what it is called but in effect it says ' everyone has a maximum potential of intelligence, which is determined by genetics. Reaching as near to their potential is governed by environmental factors'

Applying this to GCSE's simply means 'natural intelligence' is your potential to get top grades and the grades you do get are governed by environmental factors like persoanlity traits, upbringing, wealth, standard of school etc

Hope this clarifies

Intelligence is different then knowelege and uderstanding. Knoweldge and understanding and be there and a person might have trouble expressing it on paper.
Reply 268
browninghead
I'm so bored with GCSEs and jumping through hoops. Anybody unchallenged by them and has anyone found themselves anything else interesting to do?

I hated doing my GCSEs this year. They are patronising, boring and tedious. I heartily wish I could have done them a year or two early, when I might have found them more interesting. Instead I've had to put up with two years of patronising drivel designed for morons. :mad:

Basically, yeah, I totally, totally empathise. :smile: I joined several clubs at school to give me other things to do - Debating Club, the school choir, etc. and I started to study music theory. Some of my teachers were really sympathetic and gave me A level work to do, which I was very grateful for, but in the end they couldn't change the curriculum for me... I'm so glad to have finished Year 11 at last. There were times when I felt I could have quit school out of sheer frustration.
Just because you work unnecessarily and stupidly hard, and are clever enough to take 6 AS levels doesn't mean that GCSEs are are a "mockery of education" and are only for morons like you claim. Maybe you should take a step back from the textbooks and take a look at the real world around you, before you become so engrossed in education the only future you could ever possibly have is as a disillusioned scientist working for BT on a very poor wage. Seriously. If you're as arrogant and un-balanced in what you do as you make out there, you don't have much to look forward to. Education is far from the only thing which makes a successful person a success, and while I can see and understand that some people didn't find them hard, to say that it's "patronising drivel designed for morons" is actually quite pathetic.
Reply 270
NSiky
Just because you work unnecessarily and stupidly hard, and are clever enough to take 6 AS levels doesn't mean that GCSEs are are a "mockery of education" and are only for morons like you claim. Maybe you should take a step back from the textbooks and take a look at the real world around you, before you become so engrossed in education the only future you could ever possibly have is as a disillusioned scientist working for BT on a very poor wage. Seriously. If you're as arrogant and un-balanced in what you do as you make out there, you don't have much to look forward to. Education is far from the only thing which makes a successful person a success, and while I can see and understand that some people didn't find them hard, to say that it's "patronising drivel designed for morons" is actually quite pathetic.

Well, thanks for jumping to all the wrong conclusions.

Just because you work unnecessarily and stupidly hard,

Where did you get that idea from?! I'm one of the least studious pupils I know. You don't necessarily have to study to be able to get good grades, though a lot of people think that that's what you have to do. I'm not boasting about academic ability in any way here - you seem to think I'm some kind of computer geek with no other hobbies except from studying, and I take offence at that. You've never met me; don't assume what I'm like from a couple of lines on a forum signature.

I am not talking about 'success' when I complain about GCSE standards, and nor do I think that education is the only way to achieve things. I am talking about a Curriculum which is dumbed down to the extent that students that should be achieving the highest grades fail because the exam system is tailored for middle and lower ability students only. I am not trying to blow my own trumpet by having my AS Levels in my signature, or by calling GCSEs patronising - I'm giving my opinion taken from my and my friends' experiences. I can see that you don't agree with what I've said, and I accept that - but I don't appreciate your insults.

This thread asked for my opinion and my experience of GCSEs, and I gave it. I'm sorry you seemed to find it offensive, but it's what I feel and I'm not going to change it.
Reply 271
Lidia
Some of my teachers were really sympathetic and gave me A level work to do, which I was very grateful for, but in the end they couldn't change the curriculum for me... I'm so glad to have finished Year 11 at last. There were times when I felt I could have quit school out of sheer frustration.

You may be of above average academic ability, but with an attitude like that I doubt many people would want to employ you... It's not fair to say that GCSEs are
Lidia
designed for morons.

Just because you found them easy. :rolleyes:
Reply 272
Lidia
I am talking about a Curriculum which is dumbed down to the extent that students that should be achieving the highest grades fail because the exam system is tailored for middle and lower ability students only.

Do you know how arrogant you sound? This is really false pretense when you think about it; I know some very intelligent and bright people who find some aspects of GCSE highly toilsome and more importantly, highly complex. A friend of mine, who works his arse off, has been predicted mostly A*s, yet he still finds GCSEs a challange...
It was your opinion that GCSEs were designed for "lesser abled" students - I'm sorry but this is an opinion which is ignorant beyond belief, and I feel that this was highly insensitive of you to post it on a student forum such as this.
Reply 273
Shamen
You may be of above average academic ability, but with an attitude like that I doubt many people would want to employ you...

Surely the fact that I kept doing them despite disliking them would make me employable - it shows I don't give up easily. Besides, I'm not gaining qualifications just so I'm employable, I'm working for them because they teach me stuff I want to learn. And if it was only my opinion, I'd agree with you that 'morons' is harsh - but the fact is, it's not just my opinion, it's also the opinion of my friendship group at school, my teachers, and my family. I'm not the only person who thinks that GCSEs are too easy.
Reply 274
dem dere gcses were ****ing easy.
Reply 275
Lidia
Surely the fact that I kept doing them despite disliking them would make me employable - it shows I don't give up easily.

If you said in an interview, "I think GCSEs were designed for morons, and they are sooo easy and boring, but I carried on doing them despite my frustration, this shows I am dedicated." You would get laughed at and a big fat REJECTED would be stamped on your application form. You won't be employable if you have a self-righteous ignorant view on GCSEs.

Lidia
Besides, I'm not gaining qualifications just so I'm employable, I'm working for them because they teach me stuff I want to learn.

Fair enough.

Lidia
And if it was only my opinion, I'd agree with you that 'morons' is harsh - but the fact is, it's not just my opinion, it's also the opinion of my friendship group at school, my teachers, and my family. I'm not the only person who thinks that GCSEs are too easy.

You must be very dependent on other people to make decisions for you then? Just because your family (who seem very immature to say the least) think that GCSEs are for 'MORONS' doesn't mean that you have to exercise sheepish behaviour and agree with them. It also seems highly unlikely that your teachers would deem GCSEs fit for morons.
Reply 276
chewwy
dem dere gcses were ****ing easy.

I'm sorry, what? LOL, try using proper grammar and spelling and that might seem more believable coming from you.
oilcan
Because you have such rigid ideas, don't you?..

:rolleyes:

You are by far the most arrogant and ignorant person on this forum. You are rude, have your narrow minded ideas, just don't press them on me because I'm not interested anyomre, and anyone else who argueing with this jerk should stop because he's small minded and not worth the time. Hunni, I wouldn't give you a sob story in a million years, its you giving me pathetic sob stories, I wander how pathetic your life really is.
Reply 278
Shamen
Do you know how arrogant you sound? This is really false pretense when you think about it; I know some very intelligent and bright people who find some aspects of GCSE highly toilsome and more importantly, highly complex. A friend of mine, who works his arse off, has been predicted mostly A*s, yet he still finds GCSEs a challange...
It was your opinion that GCSEs were designed for "lesser abled" students - I'm sorry but this is an opinion which is ignorant beyond belief, and I feel that this was highly insensitive of you to post it on a student forum such as this.

I'm sorry I sound arrogant, I didn't intend to.

In some ways, it's not content of GCSEs I criticise, but their structure. I bet your friend will find A levels easier than GCSEs because they're more straightforward to approach answer and coursework wise. I think if GCSEs were more broad in structure and catered for different types of learning, then more people would be able to get the grades they are capable of instead of having to conform to certain types of learning.

I do believe that GCSEs are designed to make it easier for lower-ability students to get better grades; you only have to look at older papers to see how standards have changed. I don't consider myself to be 'ignorant' - I've done 12 GCSE exams. I know the system. I also know that not everyone has the same experience as I, and that's fine - but I wanted to share my views. I hoped to find some people who share my opinion, but obviously not many of you do.

I wish you luck with your exam results anyway... and I hope your friend gets the result he worked for too...
Reply 279
Lidia
I'm sorry I sound arrogant, I didn't intend to.

It's ok, but maybe you were too "abrupt" with the way in which you expressed your views? It's alright having a reserved opinion whereby you think GCSEs did not challange you enough, but making sweeping generalisations is not the way to get popular. :p:

Lidia
In some ways, it's not content of GCSEs I criticise, but their structure. I bet your friend will find A levels easier than GCSEs because they're more straightforward to approach answer and coursework wise. I think if GCSEs were more broad in structure and catered for different types of learning, then more people would be able to get the grades they are capable of instead of having to conform to certain types of learning.

I agree, A-Levels will be much less focused on breadth but more on depth, i.e. going into more detail in less subjects than less detail in more subjects. I as well as many of my friends eagerly anticipate A-Levels, and, I have already ordered some Philip Allan Biology and Chemistry AS Unit revision guides, to help me get that edge before enrolement.

Lidia
I do believe that GCSEs are designed to make it easier for lower-ability students to get better grades; you only have to look at older papers to see how standards have changed. I don't consider myself to be 'ignorant' - I've done 12 GCSE exams. I know the system. I also know that not everyone has the same experience as I, and that's fine - but I wanted to share my views. I hoped to find some people who share my opinion, but obviously not many of you do.

I do agree partially with what your saying, and I admit, GCSEs are very limited in the levels they cover. However I don't agree with the terminology you use to express your opinion. It just came across as ignorant.

Lidia
I wish you luck with your exam results anyway... and I hope your friend gets the result he worked for too...

Latest