Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so bored with GCSEs and jumping through hoops. Anybody unchallenged by them and has anyone found themselves anything else interesting to do?
    DITTO! I am very bored an unmotivated and can't wait to get on to AS levels where hopefully I will be a bit more challenged

ReputationRep:
    I don't think GCSE are unchallenging! Although I do agree that many involve jumping through hoops - especially English etc. I am assured that A Level is not like this (although I'm doing sciency subjects anyway) and you are allowed to express yourself more.

ReputationRep:
    tell me about it, i cant be bothered to revise for my food paper tomorrow. they are challenging and food is quite hard, i just cant be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    I understand what the person in who started the thread is saying, they're kind of teadious and boring, and you're working to a certain level you get no credit for exceeding. Alot of it is just sponging information, and there are people who can sponge information well and there are people who can't. I'm not sure, Ican see now the GCSE's are nothing compared to A levels, I'm not really finding them particually stressful - I know they're easier than what I'll face at A level any way and I know I'll be stretched alot more then, GCSE's are more boring because of the amount of subjects, but they're amost over now so good luck for results day all!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by browninghead)
    I'm so bored with GCSEs and jumping through hoops. Anybody unchallenged by them and has anyone found themselves anything else interesting to do?
    Some have been laughable, sciences and maths in particular. And german reading.

Can't wait til further maths next year.... real maths! :P

ReputationRep:
    By the end of my GCSEs I was so bored that I gave up revising. However, I still found them quite difficult and have much preferred A-level exams. Yes, I am weird!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with soulsussed. They're not neccessarily difficult, but they're based on being able to learn only what you need to and gaining the marks is done by using certain techniques, which aren't easy for everybody. I drop a lot of marks in science and english, because although what I put is usually right, it is not conveyed in the right manner, or explained in the correct way. I think that is why they are tedious, I didn't find them too difficult, but I might have mis-judged what was being asked (as I know I did on some questions). I prefer not to say anything until results day because I don't know what is going to happen, but I wouldn't call them unchallenging because they're always only easy if you are confident on the area that they questions are being asked. On my seoncd RE paper I don't think I did myself justice, because none of my best areas were on the question paper. There's always goign to be some questions that you mis-read or make a mistake on, making the questions harder might be good for some, but not for those who stuggled with the questions that were set. If they faced harder questions, they would panic more and probably get lower results, in contrast to those such as the one's who brag about how they should get '100%' whose grades wouldn't change at all.

When people who aren't near the top of the classes start getting A*'s is when I will beleive GCSE's are unchallenging. At my school, that's not happening yet.

Think that's the longest post I've ever made. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidt)
    Can't wait til further maths next year.... real maths! :P
    i definatly agree with that!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've found most of my exams challenging, apart from perhaps Media Studies (we already know what the questions are, pretty much, so we just memorise our essays) and English (apart from the literature questions, you just give your own opinions for the other questions really).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    i bet you will die of heartattack if you didn't get 100% for everything lol
    does seem a rather fitting end!! tee hee lol!!

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it is unchallenging in the sense that it was boring and the facts were just taught to you and you were merely a sponge to soak in the info... but I wouldn't neccessarily class them as 'easy', as in some subjects there are alot of facts to learn. A Levels will definately be more challenging, as you actually have to think for yourself and you won't always have the teachers there to 'spoon feed' you.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't revised a lot and I've been surfing on the Internet for 2 hours everyday, but I'm still expecting to get A*s and As. GCSE is really too easy.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were pretty challenging - as someone else said, its always going to be hard to try and swallow the textbooks and their info for 11 different subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Well if browninghead (and anyone else who says GCSEs are unchallanging) does not get straight A*s then i think that we should all laugh very long and hard at them. I cant believe you say theyre unchallanging after all the weeks and years that ive(and most people) have put into them

ReputationRep:
    Hey my post was deleted off here! And cinderella's. Why do you always do that when things get interesting!? Lol only kidding. The mods know all... all... all...

ReputationRep:
    Unchallenging was probably the wrong word but so long as you memorise all of your notes you will get full marks and there is no independent thinking involved.

I do not believe that everyone can get A*s but i do believe that they are not a good way of distinguishing between the top candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyboy123)
    Well if browninghead (and anyone else who says GCSEs are unchallanging) does not get straight A*s then i think that we should all laugh very long and hard at them. I cant believe you say theyre unchallanging after all the weeks and years that ive(and most people) have put into them
    that would be stupid of you. I would say there is a +/- 10% variance in grades in exams - in writing subjects due to the marker you get, and in the others the specific points it asks for. a clever guy who knew everything on the syllabus could well get 80% in an exam because he didn't know what the examiner was really asking for.

yes, gcse were easy. pathetically easy in fact. why on earth couldn't they, for example, just put one really hard question at the end to distinguish the generally clever people from the people who just revised because they think that's what life is all about?

ReputationRep:
    i love how everyone who found them easy is doing further maths

ReputationRep:
    They do usually have harder questions at the end of the paper particulary in subjects like maths. Also i dont see any reason why a naturally clever person should get as good a mark as someone who has revised for ages. If they are revising this shows they are dedicated, commited and care about thier work. Its not fair that someone who isnt naturlaly as bright but works very hard gets a worse mark than someone who is naturally clever and uses this to get themself through the exams although i do realise life isnt fair and this is how it works

ReputationRep:
    Creating a thread on an internet forum to complain about how easy gcse's are to impress your "web friends"???

Seriously mate, get some friends or something 'cos you sound like a bit of a loser to me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.