The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

flyboy123
They do usually have harder questions at the end of the paper particulary in subjects like maths. Also i dont see any reason why a naturally clever person should get as good a mark as someone who has revised for ages. If they are revising this shows they are dedicated, commited and care about thier work. Its not fair that someone who isnt naturlaly as bright but works very hard gets a worse mark than someone who is naturally clever and uses this to get themself through the exams although i do realise life isnt fair and this is how it works

Just before I start - THIS IS NOT A GENERALISATION!
Some people who revise hard and long did not work hard over the previous years, so they need to revise. Alos some people who do not do much revsion may have been revisng as they go along, and just go over it before the exam!!! Just because people revise a lot doesnt always mean that they are dedicatied to getiing their best, they may have realised that they need GCSEs to get into college or whatever they want to do!
Sorry just get a bit het up when people say that people who are bright dont deserve good marks
there are too many intelligent people on these forums.
im not going to get all A*s though. i am sorry.
trish xx
Just before I start - THIS IS NOT A GENERALISATION!
Some people who revise hard and long did not work hard over the previous years, so they need to revise. Alos some people who do not do much revsion may have been revisng as they go along, and just go over it before the exam!!! Just because people revise a lot doesnt always mean that they are dedicatied to getiing their best, they may have realised that they need GCSEs to get into college or whatever they want to do!
Sorry just get a bit het up when people say that people who are bright dont deserve good marks

i think that what you said was right, but IS a generalisation... because you can always find exceptions.
for example, i worked hard over past 2 years, well at least i generally knew what was going on all the time, to extent i can help my friends, but still had to do a LOT of revision simply so that i dont get all the details muddled up. so i had to do lots of revision but that doesnt mean that i didnt work hard along the way.

for example, i revised last christmas (well, for my mocks), over half terms and over easter... yet a lot of little details i just always forget, because my memory is like that. when it came to these exams, things i revised over easter i forgot. like the poem blessing i revised over easter, really well, and i thought i knew it well, and when it came up in the exam i was like yay... but then realised because id been working on poems that i didnt know so well, well i forgot what i DID know well.

its definitely not because i dont understand things because i dont work hard, and im not a thick person. i like to think not. but i DO have to revise a lot for exams.
Sona
i think that what you said was right, but IS a generalisation... because you can always find exceptions.
for example, i worked hard over past 2 years, well at least i generally knew what was going on all the time, to extent i can help my friends, but still had to do a LOT of revision simply so that i dont get all the details muddled up. so i had to do lots of revision but that doesnt mean that i didnt work hard along the way.

for example, i revised last christmas (well, for my mocks), over half terms and over easter... yet a lot of little details i just always forget, because my memory is like that. when it came to these exams, things i revised over easter i forgot. like the poem blessing i revised over easter, really well, and i thought i knew it well, and when it came up in the exam i was like yay... but then realised because id been working on poems that i didnt know so well, well i forgot what i DID know well.

its definitely not because i dont understand things because i dont work hard, and im not a thick person. i like to think not. but i DO have to revise a lot for exams.

i did kinda try not to make it a generalisation - its just ma views on this particular subject! btw sorry if i offended any one!!!
trish xx
i did kinda try not to make it a generalisation - its just ma views on this particular subject! btw sorry if i offended any one!!!

oh it's ok! sorry.. *blush*.
all i was really saying was that gcses arent amazingly good indicator of how intelligent you are. coz of reasons i said. well, in my opinion:smile:

I love you though!!! *huggles*!!
Reply 45
GCSES are difficult because of the breadth (11 :O) not the depth :smile:
Reply 46
Definitely not the depth... anyone who gets A* grades should be unchallenged by them.. they really are trivial.

11, though? I only did 9...
Vazzyb
GCSES are difficult because of the breadth (11 :O) not the depth :smile:

I agree, its the amount of time it takes up that gives the challenge, if you can do better than GCSE there tends to be no means of you doing so and you don't get any credit for going beyond. I can see why you could call them unchallenging, but I have found the workload very challenging to deal with.
Its not how difficult the work is to understand its more about how much of it there is cos i've done 12 GCSE's and GNVQ ICT worth 4 and half a maths AS level and these are all in lesson time i haven't taken up ne extras! it would've been a lot easier to do well if u do half the number!
I wouldn't go as far as to say that GCSEs are unchallenging, as the sheer volume of knowledge that you're expected to absorb and remember presents something of a challenge. I think the problem with GCSEs is that they do not test intelligence- they test the ability to memorise facts and methods (with the possible exceptions of RS and English). This only comprises a small part of intelligence and is not indicative of someone's ability to use reasoning and initiative- which are surely greater parts of intelligence.
Personally, I would find GCSEs less challenging if they actually tested all aspects of intelligence and were centred around using initiative and logic; at present it is necessary to either have a nearly photographic memory or spend a long time memorising things so as to be able to regurgitate them in the exam. This surely defeats the object of what GCSEs should be about; at the moment it is too difficult to distinguish between those who are genuinely intelligent and those who are able to memorise facts (how will this help in the progression of the world? being able to replicate someone else's ideas is not constructive- it is necessary to have new ideas and initiative- these play a major part in true intelligence). well, that's my little rant against the pointlessness of GCSEs over :smile:
Reply 50
So guys... hiee me new ova here.. so may i hav ur intro.. so i can talk to u confortably.. .. OK?? nd yaa abt GCSE.. i hav questions.. but first asl?? all of u plzz
Reply 51
So guys... hiee me new ova here.. so may i hav ur intro.. so i can talk to u confortably.. .. OK?? nd yaa abt GCSE.. i hav questions.. but first asl?? all of u plzz

Eh? Txt speak...Most people have their location in the right hand side of their posts (ie. me - Liverpool), most people also have their sex displayed adjacent to location. If not, click on people's usernames to view their profiles. But this isn't really the place to be honest, there's a welcome forum - go there instead. And I presume most people here in the GCSE forum are either 15/16 years of age.
flyboy123
They do usually have harder questions at the end of the paper particulary in subjects like maths. Also i dont see any reason why a naturally clever person should get as good a mark as someone who has revised for ages. If they are revising this shows they are dedicated, commited and care about thier work. Its not fair that someone who isnt naturlaly as bright but works very hard gets a worse mark than someone who is naturally clever and uses this to get themself through the exams although i do realise life isnt fair and this is how it works

GCSE's are designed to be a measure of intelligence, ie the understanding you have of a subject.

Dedication commitment are personality traits, which shouldn't be measured by GCSE's.

Obviously personality traits will have an effect on your grades but they should not be the determining factor.

There is a proven theory, I can't remember what it is called but in effect it says ' everyone has a maximum potential of intelligence, which is determined by genetics. Reaching as near to their potential is governed by environmental factors'

Applying this to GCSE's simply means 'natural intelligence' is your potential to get top grades and the grades you do get are governed by environmental factors like persoanlity traits, upbringing, wealth, standard of school etc

Hope this clarifies
i agree with people here. the work isnt expecially difficult like at degree and a level, but it's MANAGING all the 5 pieces of coursework youve got due in on monday as well as all this other exam pressure youve got put on you of SO MANY idfferent subjects. hopefully a levels will be easier to manage.

edit: however because they're so crap, well wrong word, just not very in-depth and the majority of information you simply willl not NEED for your chosen career or in life... well for that reason theyre not a good indicator of intelligence... i completely agree with pixie
Meat Loaf Rocks
GCSE's are designed to be a measure of intelligence, ie the understanding you have of a subject.

Dedication commitment are personality traits, which shouldn't be measured by GCSE's.

Obviously personality traits will have an effect on your grades but they should not be the determining factor.

There is a proven theory, I can't remember what it is called but in effect it says ' everyone has a maximum potential of intelligence, which is determined by genetics. Reaching as near to their potential is governed by environmental factors'

Applying this to GCSE's simply means 'natural intelligence' is your potential to get top grades and the grades you do get are governed by environmental factors like persoanlity traits, upbringing, wealth, standard of school etc

Hope this clarifies

And unfortunatly standard of schooling and social enviroment can have a huge affect. But there are different kinds of intelligences, people who completly screw up do really well in life. Just because someone isn't superb academically doesn't mean they're thick. I do not agree it measures intelligence because also I don't believe examination such as these are right for individuals, it is a system were some indivduals will prosper and others won't, what a thing to put 'natural intelligence' like some people are better or are worth more than others? Could you re look up your proven theory please.

Also, commitment isn't always a personality trait, people commit to things they believe they are or will get alot out of, that apllies to everyone, just because someone isn't commited to a one thing doesn't meant they wouldn't commit to something else they enjoy.
soulsussed
And unfortunatly standard of schooling and social enviroment can have a huge affect. But there are different kinds of intelligences, people who completly screw up do really well in life. Just because someone isn't superb academically doesn't mean they're thick. I do not agree it measures intelligence because also I don't believe examination such as these are right for individuals, it is a system were some indivduals will prosper and others won't, what a thing to put 'natural intelligence' like some people are better or are worth more than others? Could you re look up your proven theory please.

Also, commitment isn't always a personality trait, people commit to things they believe they are or will get alot out of, that apllies to everyone, just because someone isn't commited to a one thing doesn't meant they wouldn't commit to something else they enjoy.

I agree there are different types of intelligence apart from academic, but they are all interlinked, ie if you are emotionally intelligent then you aren't going to do a subject because all your mates therefore you pick subjects you will get better grades in and concentrate more. they are all interlinked, and 'true' intelligence is having all the different intelligences academic emotional practical etc

Any kind of system will favour some more than other but that is why coursework is done to try and minimise this. I personally perform well in exams generally but I hate and am relatively poor at coursework.

I put natural intelligence quoting from a previous post. The theory is on the GCSE Biology syllabus in the genetics module in with the which is environmental and which is genetic. I did seperate sciences though so I'm not sure if it's on the double course.

I don't claim that one person is worth more than another. The most intelligent person can be selfish etc whilst a relative idiot can be a real 'good person'. Babies are relatively thick but who dislikes a baby. Most CEO's are very intelligent alot more of them are selfish and money driven.

Commitment is a personality trait. Just because you inevitably have different commitment levels to things you like and you don't, doesn't mean that commitment isn't a trait. The stronger trait is being able to fully commit yourself to something which you don't want to do but will help you/a friend/ another.

Had my rant, any comments welcome
I reckon it's all relative. After (most of us) have finished GCSEs, we look back and see that the exams weren't as frightening as we expected, and the coursework wasn't too demanding (except when you had 11 pieces on the go at the same time) and generally it all came together at the end. However, I bet at the start of year 10, most of us saw the amount of stuff that we had to learn as a pretty daunting task, although at that point the urgency and stress wasn't apparent. Wind back to year 7, and GCSEs seemed like the scariest things in the world. I bet most of us here got wound up a little by those. Year 9 SATS, the first in proper exam halls (well for us at least) sure seemed challenging at the time. It's all relative. As we move on, some may get jobs, and maybe even move out for the first time. What a leap and a challenge. Some may do A levels where you finally begin to start speciallising, and have to learn in depth about things. Challenging also as the work committment piles up. Moving on to uni is another great challenge. Living on your own, having to get to lectures in a less structured environment, being completely overworked, and then spending months revising for individual papers. Getting a job is another great challenge. Then follows advancing in the carreer ladder, finding a home, starting a family, fullfilling what you want from life, retirement. It's one challenge after another. As we get older we become wiser, and looking back we realise what a good deal we had back then when the work was easy (although it didn't seem so at the time). GCSEs are taken by pupils of all abilities, and while to the brightest, most organized and hardest working they can become easy, they are certainly still a challenge. Taking 9-11+ of them means that you have to broaden your knowledge and use a wide range of skills.
Reply 57
sherunsaway
I reckon it's all relative. After (most of us) have finished GCSEs, we look back and see that the exams weren't as frightening as we expected, and the coursework wasn't too demanding (except when you had 11 pieces on the go at the same time) and generally it all came together at the end. However, I bet at the start of year 10, most of us saw the amount of stuff that we had to learn as a pretty daunting task, although at that point the urgency and stress wasn't apparent. Wind back to year 7, and GCSEs seemed like the scariest things in the world. I bet most of us here got wound up a little by those. Year 9 SATS, the first in proper exam halls (well for us at least) sure seemed challenging at the time. It's all relative. As we move on, some may get jobs, and maybe even move out for the first time. What a leap and a challenge. Some may do A levels where you finally begin to start speciallising, and have to learn in depth about things. Challenging also as the work committment piles up. Moving on to uni is another great challenge. Living on your own, having to get to lectures in a less structured environment, being completely overworked, and then spending months revising for individual papers. Getting a job is another great challenge. Then follows advancing in the carreer ladder, finding a home, starting a family, fullfilling what you want from life, retirement. It's one challenge after another. As we get older we become wiser, and looking back we realise what a good deal we had back then when the work was easy (although it didn't seem so at the time). GCSEs are taken by pupils of all abilities, and while to the brightest, most organized and hardest working they can become easy, they are certainly still a challenge. Taking 9-11+ of them means that you have to broaden your knowledge and use a wide range of skills.

You rock! :smile:
Reply 58
GCSEs are ****ing boring.Life is boring.Everything is boring. But everything is challenging. So shut ur ****ing mouth and dont say that GCSEs are easy
Reply 59
IZZY!
GCSEs are ****ing boring.Life is boring.Everything is boring. But everything is challenging. So shut ur ****ing mouth and dont say that GCSEs are easy

Wooooo go you :biggrin: and yes, life is boring, it is it is it is.

Latest