The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
...and overrated.
IZZY!
GCSEs are ****ing boring.Life is boring.Everything is boring. But everything is challenging. So shut ur ****ing mouth and dont say that GCSEs are easy

Is it hell!! Boring!! What do you live for, do you have no kicks? The challenges give the thrill - sounds like you need to do something with yourself if your life is boring.
Meat Loaf Rocks
I agree there are different types of intelligence apart from academic, but they are all interlinked, ie if you are emotionally intelligent then you aren't going to do a subject because all your mates therefore you pick subjects you will get better grades in and concentrate more. they are all interlinked, and 'true' intelligence is having all the different intelligences academic emotional practical etc

Any kind of system will favour some more than other but that is why coursework is done to try and minimise this. I personally perform well in exams generally but I hate and am relatively poor at coursework.

I put natural intelligence quoting from a previous post. The theory is on the GCSE Biology syllabus in the genetics module in with the which is environmental and which is genetic. I did seperate sciences though so I'm not sure if it's on the double course.

I don't claim that one person is worth more than another. The most intelligent person can be selfish etc whilst a relative idiot can be a real 'good person'. Babies are relatively thick but who dislikes a baby. Most CEO's are very intelligent alot more of them are selfish and money driven.

Commitment is a personality trait. Just because you inevitably have different commitment levels to things you like and you don't, doesn't mean that commitment isn't a trait. The stronger trait is being able to fully commit yourself to something which you don't want to do but will help you/a friend/ another.

Had my rant, any comments welcome

People have different intelligences that others don't have. I think you're talking crap basically, what you're saying is that some people are 'intelligent' and will suceed whilst others are 'thick' and won't. Which is bull sh it obviously. Intelligances aren't interconnected at all and I would ike to know where exactly you got that from, someone who is an academic genius might not have any interpersonal skills whatsoever, someone who is sound in their spot might find it harder to write an essay, but they are still intelligent, kinesthetically (sp -sorry) and you will probably find if you taught them in a different way that met tham individually, they would excel in more ways than you can think.

So, you are poor at coursework, but you're good at exams. What if the entire assesment was done by coursework?

I REALLY want to see this theory can you PLEASE tell me where I can find it.

Thus you compltly contradict your first paragraph with your fourth.

Commitment is not a trait, is is something people do, if someone enjoys something and feels that they will get alot out of it they will commit to it. You will find the most seemingly uncommited person become very commitful when they come across something they want to commit to. No one will commit to something they don't want to do unless it is in someone elses favour. I will give you a typical example of people at school who simply aren't commited to their schooling at all, however when it comes to their part time job they are working several nights a week, are there on time and get on quite well. You are saying that if someone is uncommited in one area they will be in every other area as well which is simply untrue.
Reply 63
I haven't read most of this thread, but...

Yes, people are all intelligent in different ways as there are various different types of intelligence, and it's a matter of "how are you intelligent", not "how intelligent are you". Read that bit off somewhere.
Reply 64
Meat Loaf Rocks
I agree there are different types of intelligence apart from academic, but they are all interlinked, ie if you are emotionally intelligent then you aren't going to do a subject because all your mates therefore you pick subjects you will get better grades in and concentrate more. they are all interlinked, and 'true' intelligence is having all the different intelligences academic emotional practical etc

Any kind of system will favour some more than other but that is why coursework is done to try and minimise this. I personally perform well in exams generally but I hate and am relatively poor at coursework.

I put natural intelligence quoting from a previous post. The theory is on the GCSE Biology syllabus in the genetics module in with the which is environmental and which is genetic. I did seperate sciences though so I'm not sure if it's on the double course.

I don't claim that one person is worth more than another. The most intelligent person can be selfish etc whilst a relative idiot can be a real 'good person'. Babies are relatively thick but who dislikes a baby. Most CEO's are very intelligent alot more of them are selfish and money driven.

Commitment is a personality trait. Just because you inevitably have different commitment levels to things you like and you don't, doesn't mean that commitment isn't a trait. The stronger trait is being able to fully commit yourself to something which you don't want to do but will help you/a friend/ another.

Had my rant, any comments welcome

You do not do yourself justice with that post; It's not very well explained at all, however I do understand generally the point you are trying to make. I don't agree with it at all though! I believe intelligence is not interlinked, in any way. I know many academically intelligent people who struggle in basic social settings such as "school proms" and "group classwork". This is not because they are dumb and can't tell what makes someone else smile/laugh/interested, as they get A*s in most of their asignments. I think it's wrong to say intelligence is interlinked as if that were the case you would have "clever people" and "dumb people" (the clever people being able to excel academically, be a socialites and have creative minds etc... and the dumb people having nothing positive about their mind) - Thats basically what you are insinuating, yes?
Reply 65
Can we stop having the whole "intelligence" debate please, it's saturated about five different threads and it's pointless, not to mention completely off-topic.
I don't think there's any way that anyone could say GCSEs weren't challenging to be honest. Perhaps not the most difficult exams in the world but to the people who've been sitting them (including me!) they're probably the hardest exams they've had to do so far in their lives.

Definitely agreed that the amount of subjects was the thing that provided the most stress. With A levels I believe from what I've been told they go in to MUCH more depth but the advantage is you can pick subjects which you enjoy and are good at, and there are less of them...

I really agree with sherunsaway, think your post was excellent!

Actually though someone said that GCSEs don't really challenge what's in your own head, and opinions but just facts you have to memorise. To an extent I agree with this but it also tests the way you apply these facts to answering questions (such as maths, and science) and with subjects like history it tests the way you can connect events which have happened and see how they all relate to one another etc....English and RE are very opinion based too!

I found GCSEs very stressful mainly cos of the large amount of subjects, and papers to sit, looking back they were probably easier than I would have imagined to be at the start of year 10 and it made me realise how much I actually have learnt over the past two years. Saying that, I don't think they were unchallenging or easy. Never once did I walk out of an exam thinking that the paper was easy. :smile:
Reply 67
tris_xx
Sorry just get a bit het up when people say that people who are bright dont deserve good marks

No i think that lazy bright people should get a worse mark than less clever, hard working people
Reply 68
flyboy123
No i think that lazy bright people should get a worse mark than less clever, hard working people

Maybe so, but that's not the way life works unfortunately. :frown: Not fair is it?
Reply 69
flyboy123

why? so all the people who are stupid and can do nothing but remember things off a piece of paper run the world? great. you should be president.
Reply 70
why? so all the people who are stupid and can do nothing but remember things off a piece of paper run the world? great. you should be president.

lol.
shortysally
I don't think there's any way that anyone could say GCSEs weren't challenging to be honest. Perhaps not the most difficult exams in the world but to the people who've been sitting them (including me!) they're probably the hardest exams they've had to do so far in their lives.

Definitely agreed that the amount of subjects was the thing that provided the most stress. With A levels I believe from what I've been told they go in to MUCH more depth but the advantage is you can pick subjects which you enjoy and are good at, and there are less of them...

I really agree with sherunsaway, think your post was excellent!

Actually though someone said that GCSEs don't really challenge what's in your own head, and opinions but just facts you have to memorise. To an extent I agree with this but it also tests the way you apply these facts to answering questions (such as maths, and science) and with subjects like history it tests the way you can connect events which have happened and see how they all relate to one another etc....English and RE are very opinion based too!

I found GCSEs very stressful mainly cos of the large amount of subjects, and papers to sit, looking back they were probably easier than I would have imagined to be at the start of year 10 and it made me realise how much I actually have learnt over the past two years. Saying that, I don't think they were unchallenging or easy. Never once did I walk out of an exam thinking that the paper was easy. :smile:

Agree, with you here. Its sometimes just frustrating how unforfilling GSCE's are.
Reply 72
soulsussed
Agree, with you here. Its sometimes just frustrating how unforfilling GSCE's are.

GCSEs - like everything else in this society - are designed to suit the morons.
In every other walk of life, people are ridiculed and mocked if they can't do something, but when it comes to education, the powers-that-be pander to the needs and wants of people who don't even give a toss about learning.

There should be a simple system where, if you can't hack it, you fail and you should know you fail. You should have to resit the year or something.

Unfortunately, our society is one which - in contrast to say Japan - hard work and level-headedness often goes unrewarded. The intelligent and the clever are mocked and ridiculed while the morons are accepted and rewarded; essentially, we are taken down to the level of the morons instead of them being forced to come up to our level.

This is why our society is in such decline; the people with the money and power didn't have to work for it, in some cases. However, this will only perpetuate unless a revolution takes place in our school halls - the grass roots of living.

Personally, I think there should be a law against nepotism so ickle william can't just coast through school, not try, disrupt lessons, get Us and then take over daddies business and send his kids to priate school.

We should have a pure system where the best go to the best schools. Good education shouldn't be a luxury which can be bought by the rich in this country. Good education should be a right, like good health care, but that's for another day!
oilcan
In every other walk of life, people are ridiculed and mocked if they can't do something, but when it comes to education, the powers-that-be pander to the needs and wants of people who don't even give a toss about learning.

There should be a simple system where, if you can't hack it, you fail and you should know you fail. You should have to resit the year or something.

Unfortunately, our society is one which - in contrast to say Japan - hard work and level-headedness often goes unrewarded. The intelligent and the clever are mocked and ridiculed while the morons are accepted and rewarded; essentially, we are taken down to the level of the morons instead of them being forced to come up to our level.

This is why our society is in such decline; the people with the money and power didn't have to work for it, in some cases. However, this will only perpetuate unless a revolution takes place in our school halls - the grass roots of living.

Personally, I think there should be a law against nepotism so ickle william can't just coast through school, not try, disrupt lessons, get Us and then take over daddies business and send his kids to priate school.

We should have a pure system where the best go to the best schools. Good education shouldn't be a luxury which can be bought by the rich in this country. Good education should be a right, like good health care, but that's for another day!

Wow.....

Are you going in to politics?! :biggrin:

Agree with a lot of what you say. My boyfriend (who goes to local Catholic state school with me) has a friend who pays to go to the local grammar school (something like £9000 a year) and he now will not talk to my boyfriend because he was doing 10 GCSEs and grammar school boy was doing 9 :p: Aw, diddums :wink:

This isn't a slagging off of grammar schoolies btw, I know lots of decent people attend them and are genuinely bright and work hard, but I still think the system is a little unfair..
oilcan

Oh right, so those who work hard and get good grades in their GCSE's are morons then? And people deserve to be mocked and made to feel inadequate do they? Have you ever considered that there might be reasons why some people are good in school and others aren't, do you know why people become disruptive? Some of the most intelligent people on the planet didn't do brilliantly in school, MC Escher for example. People become like that because they have a certain 'system' shoved down their throats that simply does not bring out the best in them, they get bored and unmotivated. People fail not because of their own fault in ridiculous systems such as you are suggesting, every person is different with different skills and intelligences.

I am very confused at who exactly you are calling a moron; most people who fail their GSCE's do not do well at all, I disagree entirely with what you are saying. Society would be in a decline if we took up a system like the one you are suggesting because at the end of the day everyone has something to offer to society and education is about building skills and bringing out talents that can be valueable to society, the sytem you suggest will disciminate against entire groups oof people meaning only certain people who the system suits the best will flourish - NOT those who are the best.

I think you're talking absoloute crap basically. It will never happen, and alot of what you've said isn't true - keep sitting in your pessimistic world I'm sure people will love you for it.
Reply 75
Shamen
Maybe so, but that's not the way life works unfortunately. Not fair is it?

No :frown:

If someone works really hard for GCSEs then it shows that they will work hard in other things that they do.

Thanks for saying i should be president chewwy
Reply 76
soulsussed
Oh right, so those who work hard and get good grades in their GCSE's are morons then? And people deserve to be mocked and made to feel inadequate do they? Have you ever considered that there might be reasons why some people are good in school and others aren't, do you know why people become disruptive? Some of the most intelligent people on the planet didn't do brilliantly in school, MC Escher for example. People become like that because they have a certain 'system' shoved down their throats that simply does not bring out the best in them, they get bored and unmotivated. People fail not because of their own fault in ridiculous systems such as you are suggesting, every person is different with different skills and intelligences.

I am very confused at who exactly you are calling a moron; most people who fail their GSCE's do not do well at all, I disagree entirely with what you are saying. Society would be in a decline if we took up a system like the one you are suggesting because at the end of the day everyone has something to offer to society and education is about building skills and bringing out talents that can be valueable to society, the sytem you suggest will disciminate against entire groups oof people meaning only certain people who the system suits the best will flourish - NOT those who are the best.

I think you're talking absoloute crap basically. It will never happen, and alot of what you've said isn't true - keep sitting in your pessimistic world I'm sure people will love you for it.

Aww, I really hit a nerve with you didn't I? :smile:

Oh right, so those who work hard and get good grades in their GCSE's are morons then?

Well, tbh mate, it isn't hard to do well in GCSEs so to a certain extent yes, as even morons can do well in them. You don't have to work hard to do well in GCSEs.

And people deserve to be mocked and made to feel inadequate do they?

Yes. The bullies in a school are usually the people with the bad results. It's time they were made to feel like crap; it's time the bullied turned the guns on the bullies.

People fail not because of their own fault in ridiculous systems such as you are suggesting, every person is different with different skills and intelligences.

Ah yes, the short-term view, a trait rife throughout British society. Have you ever heard of Natural Selection? It's important that the people with the skills survive instead of finishing themselves off because they can't excel at school without being mocked and scorned.

My system isn't ridiculous. The people who want to do well will be able to flourish and those who choose to mess around will have a whole class of people like them. This will avoid the example YOU pointed out that some people get bored at school and consequently results in disruption.

most people who fail their GSCE's do not do well at all

But I thought you said it wasn't their fault? :rolleyes:

Society would be in a decline if we took up a system like the one you are suggesting because at the end of the day everyone has something to offer to society and education is about building skills and bringing out talents that can be valueable to society, the sytem you suggest will disciminate against entire groups oof people meaning only certain people who the system suits the best will flourish - NOT those who are the best.

Apart from the distinct lack of punctuation, you also don't actually manage to explicitly articulate the point you are trying to make. All I can gather from what you're saying is that people who (want to) do well in schools aren't the best. :confused: What makes a good pupil at school then? Someone who messes around and jeopardizes the future of others but because he is popular or because he is captain of the football team it's a-ok...

I think you're talking absoloute crap basically. It will never happen, and alot of what you've said isn't true

As with so many others on this forum, you run out of words to express yourself and resort to groundless comments.

I can see why YOU disagree with me on the current system... :rolleyes:
Reply 77
oilcan, seriously, you really don't make much sense... I think you try to mask your incoherency with inappropriate use of long words... I'd like to have a proper argument with you, to put you in your place, but I can't argue with anything you say, I mean there are just too many mistakes... Tone down the mistakes and I'll give you a run for your money, captain!
oilcan
Aww, I really hit a nerve with you didn't I? :smile:

Well, tbh mate, it isn't hard to do well in GCSEs so to a certain extent yes, as even morons can do well in them. You don't have to work hard to do well in GCSEs.

Yes. The bullies in a school are usually the people with the bad results. It's time they were made to feel like crap; it's time the bullied turned the guns on the bullies.

Ah yes, the short-term view, a trait rife throughout British society. Have you ever heard of Natural Selection? It's important that the people with the skills survive instead of finishing themselves off because they can't excel at school without being mocked and scorned.

My system isn't ridiculous. The people who want to do well will be able to flourish and those who choose to mess around will have a whole class of people like them. This will avoid the example YOU pointed out that some people get bored at school and consequently results in disruption.

But I thought you said it wasn't their fault? :rolleyes:

Apart from the distinct lack of punctuation, you also don't actually manage to explicitly articulate the point you are trying to make. All I can gather from what you're saying is that people who (want to) do well in schools aren't the best. :confused: What makes a good pupil at school then? Someone who messes around and jeopardizes the future of others but because he is popular or because he is captain of the football team it's a-ok...

As with so many others on this forum, you run out of words to express yourself and resort to groundless comments.

I can see why YOU disagree with me on the current system... :rolleyes:

Yes, you have hit a nerve, I hit 'groundless' comments because I mean them. Because, to be frank, hunni, this attitude is pissing me off.

There is one thing I can not stand more it is narrow mindedness and those who judge and condemn other people. People are individual with individual learning needs, are you saying that those who are dyslexic should be shoved in this system and 'fail', and be ridiculed for it as well. Fortunatly we do not live in your society so the learning needs of those people are met and they thrive and become a valueable member of society. Unfortunatly there are many learning needs unrecognised and they are left unmet, so these people are unfortunatly at a diadvantage and remain let down by the educational system (therefore it is not their fault).

I think the comment about bullies is rather ignorant. Bulllies are insecure and have low self esteem as it; if the educational system was affective to the needs of everyone, and was a healthy place to be there would be alot less bullies because education makes people feel valued and worth something, therefore there is no need to be disruptive because people wouldn't be bored. People would become extremly disruptive under your system because sorry; we're not robots.

Bullies will become worse if you 'turn the guns' on them, do you have any experience of this by the way?
Shamen
You do not do yourself justice with that post; It's not very well explained at all, however I do understand generally the point you are trying to make. I don't agree with it at all though! I believe intelligence is not interlinked, in any way. I know many academically intelligent people who struggle in basic social settings such as "school proms" and "group classwork". This is not because they are dumb and can't tell what makes someone else smile/laugh/interested, as they get A*s in most of their asignments. I think it's wrong to say intelligence is interlinked as if that were the case you would have "clever people" and "dumb people" (the clever people being able to excel academically, be a socialites and have creative minds etc... and the dumb people having nothing positive about their mind) - Thats basically what you are insinuating, yes?

I will drop this topic after this post, I just wish to clarify myself.
Aplogies for not explaining myself very well. What I was trying to say was true intelligence for example is the ability to have a cogent converstaion, that takes academic skills, interpersonal skills etc. When i talk about intelligence i mean true intelligence. People who are academically skilled but cannot socialise well aren't intelligent.

What makes the world interesting is that very few people are of 'true intelligent' (ie have skills covering the spectrum) Most people have a few skills and that is why we live in a cohabbiting society, to fulfil all the skills as a group.

This is probably poorly explained but it is quite difficult idea to explain.

Latest