Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    5 minutes without reply - shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oilcan)
    The problem of bullying will be solved as much as there will never be peace across the world, for example. However, incidents like Columbine brought to light bullying. Schools everywhere were affected and schools re-evaluated their bullying policies as a result of catalysts, such as Columbine because they didn't wantto be the next school to have blood on their hands. Columbine also made "jocks" back off a bit because nerds, geeks, dorks, dweebs etc. had a feeling of power installed them. Harris and Klebold represented many shunned youths and anyone who fitted similar descriptions was left alone and feared afterwards, in some cases.

Seeing as you like statistics so much, here's one for you: every week 2 schoolchildren commit suicide with 79% of these cases directly relating to bullying. In between 1997-2002, 39 people died in school shootings. It's clear therefore that "senseless slaughter" is a small price to pay as more bullied people die than bullies.

I'm not suggesting people have the same mindset. However, there is less of a chance of persecution of people because of the grades they get, if everyone is at a certain standard.
    I haven't used a straight stat yet.

I'm aware of the problem I don't need it spelling out

It doesn't surprise me bullying policies were re looked at, no doubt it would have an affect, but what I'm saying is that there's a better way of dealing with it rather than depending on incidents like that.

I have never once said bullying would be completly solved, I am talking about dealing with it and fighting against it as best as physically and emotionally possible, I have already said there is and will be bullying every where.

However, what you are suggesting is unrealistic and I don't believe it will work, as I said, even the most willing to learn and intelligent people participate in bullying.

I don't understand what you mean by 'a small price' I consider life a huge price to pay. Which is why it is so urgent to deal with the problem directly and properly so we can reduce these incidents rather than depend on them to get any where.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't reply within 2 seconds, love. I'm doing other things apart from corresponding with you.
    Such small worlds...
    Its just you respond very quickly to your bickering and then I don't hear from you for 7/8 minutes. Its good to know you're still with me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Feb. 2, 1996
    Moses Lake, Wash. Two students and one teacher killed, one other wounded when 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis opened fire on his algebra class.

ReputationRep:
    Oct. 1, 1997
    Pearl, Miss. Two students killed and seven wounded by Luke Woodham, 16, who was also accused of killing his mother. He and his friends were said to be outcasts who worshiped Satan.

I'm starting to regret googling "school shootings"

ReputationRep:
    14 students (including killers) and one teacher killed, 23 others wounded at Columbine High School in the nation's deadliest school shooting. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, had plotted for a year to kill at least 500 and blow up their school. At the end of their hour-long rampage, they turned their guns on themselves.

Ok, Enough posting from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)

It doesn't surprise me bullying policies were re looked at, no doubt it would have an affect, but what I'm saying is that there's a better way of dealing with it rather than depending on incidents like that.

I have never once said bullying would be completly solved, I am talking about dealing with it and fighting against it as best as physically and emotionally possible, I have already said there is and will be bullying every where.

However, what you are suggesting is unrealistic and I don't believe it will work, as I said, even the most willing to learn and intelligent people participate in bullying.

I don't understand what you mean by 'a small price' I consider life a huge price to pay. Which is why it is so urgent to deal with the problem directly and properly so we can reduce these incidents rather than depend on them to get any where.
    So you admit you used a bent stat to strengthen your argument thus making your argument deceptive and by proxy.

Are you sure? You only see one point of view and that is of the bully and not the bullied thus meaning you aren't aware of the problem.

You're completely missing the point. Most bullying is borne out of jealousy; jealousy of the well-doers as they pose a threat. Therefore, if you put well-doers together, this will be reduced straight away and there is more likely to be more empathy as quite a lot of well-doers have been on the receiving end of bullying at one stage or another.

I don't understand what you mean by 'a small price' I consider life a huge price to pay.
    I mean that the in relative terms, less bullies die by gunfire than bullied people who top themselves, However, we don't recognize this because more media coverage is given to school shooters who are then depicted as "evil" etc. and the reasoning behind their massacre is forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    Well, tbh mate, it isn't hard to do well in GCSEs so to a certain extent yes, as even morons can do well in them. You don't have to work hard to do well in GCSEs.
    That's a load of *******s. Although you may have found GCSE's easy, not everyone does. Here's an example: my younger sister. She has struggled throughout her GCSE's due to learning disabilities, and despite all of her hardwork, she probably won't get any C's.

For the small percentage of the population blessed with a high level of natural intelligence, I'm sure that GCSE's are easy. But they're not easy for everyone, and its a ridiculous generalisation to make.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think GCSEs are easy by all means. They are specially designed to stretch even the most intellectual of students and I don't think you have the right to say it's a piece of cake unless you get 100%, which 1 or 2 people get every year per subject on average. Especially in Edexcel Maths, the last couple of questions are ridiculously hard to ensure the brightest students are stretched, so if you found that easy then it's an insult to the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    I dis agree with you oilcan, simple as that I take a much wider view of things, I've sent you a private message. I don't think you really have any solid ideas to be honest, we seem to be going in circles so, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect to all involved, I think we should move on a bit. It's not solving anything, all this bickering (I should know as I've already been involved in such futile activity over the last couple of days), and everybody is just rehashing their own points, and god knows why school shootings and Columbine have been brought into this debate. I'm not sure what the relevance is of bullying and school shoot-outs to GCSEs and how challenging/unchallenging people find them. Hell, kids don't even do GCSEs in the schools where these shootings are taking place, thus they are obviously irrelevant to the topic. I say we just focus on how you personally found the GCSEs, challenging or unchallenging? That really is all there is to it, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    I dis agree with you oilcan, simple as that I take a much wider view of things, I've sent you a private message. I don't think you really have any solid ideas to be honest, we seem to be going in circles so, whatever.
    Because you have such rigid ideas, don't you?..

I dis agree with you oilcan, simple as that
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh the peacemaker has restored harmony... As if...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    I don't think GCSEs are easy by all means. They are specially designed to stretch even the most intellectual of students and I don't think you have the right to say it's a piece of cake unless you get 100%, which 1 or 2 people get every year per subject on average. Especially in Edexcel Maths, the last couple of questions are ridiculously hard to ensure the brightest students are stretched, so if you found that easy then it's an insult to the rest of us.
    You've completely missed the point, as has the clown above you.

For Average Joes, who don't put effort in and aren't particularly clever, they can still get Cs, Bs and even As and A*s.

I didn't say they were easy; I just said it's not difficult to do reasonably well in them.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh the peacemaker has restored harmony... As if...
    You referring to me?

ReputationRep:
    For Average Joes, who don't put effort in and aren't particularly clever, they can still get Cs, Bs and even As and A*s.
    What a load of old cods-whollop... *blows raspberry* I can smell you manure on your breath, yuck!

I didn't say they were easy; I just said it's not difficult to do reasonably well in them.
    Slight contradiction there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    You referring to me?
    Well, yeah... I mean this morning you were using such obscenities and acting like a complete fool who has lost touch with her emotional senses, and now you're telling us that we should stop arguing... I'm sorry I just don't buy your bull$hit!

ReputationRep:
    *blows raspberry* I can smell you manure on your breath, yuck!
    Stop being immature and get over it now, you're doing my head in and it's not even my argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    Well, yeah... I mean this morning you were using such obscenities and acting like a complete fool who has lost touch with her emotional senses, and now you're telling us that we should stop arguing... I'm sorry I just don't buy your bull$hit!
    people change...

ReputationRep:
    You've completely missed the point, as has the clown above you.

Clown? Thanks, I've always wanted to be funny.

Anyway, my point still stands. To some people, it is difficult to do reasonably well in them. I think its incredibly narrowminded of you to generalise like that.

And how can you back up your claim that 'Average Joes' can get A*s with little work?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.