Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    And, like 2 + 2 = 5 has said, they obviously are clever if they obtain A*s... So what you're saying is, in effect, people who get A*s in exams are of nil intelligence, because they mis-spell words? Do you know how stupid that sounds? Guess not.
    So good, he had to say part of it twice. :rolleyes:

they obviously are clever if they obtain A*s

Do you know how stupid that sounds? Guess not.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oilcan)
    I sat my exams this year.
    Actually, forget my other point... That's even better... If you sat your exams this year, how can you tell what it was like in 2004? You can't, so keep shtoom, because you're digging a bigger hole for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter, the point I was trying to make was you are not an indicator of the majority of people who sit/ have sat exams... BTW that was a really immature reply and I was sort of expecting that from you.
    Then why did you open yourself up to it then?

ReputationRep:
    So good, he had to say part of it twice. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    Now who's the one who is not exercising "foundation in their points"... Keep it up, great case on your part.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, forget my other point... That's even better... If you sat your exams this year, how can you tell what it was like in 2004? You can't, so keep shtoom, because you're digging a bigger hole for yourself.
    How can I dig if I don't have a spade?

I read articles. I listen to what people say e.g. teachers. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to grasp this concept. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Then why did you open yourself up to it then?
    I was interested in getting my point across, not about dealing with a pathetic reply from you. No, see, the way most people deal with simpletons like yourself, is to improvise; yes improvise, the best way because why waste valuable time thinking ahead as to what a simpleton, like yourself, would say when you can argue your case much more strongly...

ReputationRep:
    Now who's the one who is not exercising "foundation in their points"... Keep it up, great case on your part.
    You're just exhibiting your naivety and how you take everything at face value, if you infer that if someone gets A*, it automatically means they are clever but why don't you do what you always do and agree with others, copy what I say and keep squeezing out these groundless posts of yours.

ReputationRep:
    How can I dig if I don't have a spade?

I read articles. I listen to what people say e.g. teachers. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to grasp this concept. :rolleyes:
    I don't think you know what your saying... If you had statements from say, 60% (a good cross section of candidates who sat the 2004 lit exam) then you could pass judgement... Until then, I don't acredit the judgements made when all you have to go on is "what people say" - again, too vague...

Of course, there is no place for good English in English Literature. :rolleyes:

Bad spelling has implications. How can be people express themselves if they don't even have the words to articulate what they want to say?

I said "morons" can do well, correct? Are you trying to say that people who mispell words, which are right in front of them are clever?
    Firstly: it's nice that you agree with me. English Language and English Literature are two distinct qualifications, and are not to be confused. Although it does have to be taken into account to some small extent (as it already is, with limited marks for spelling, punctuation and grammar), it should not be taken as some simplistic test for "intelligence" alone. Bad spelling does indeed have implications. Bad spelling should be taught and assessed. However, that is why you took an English Language GCSE, which I hear holds these skills in rather high regard.

Secondly: You seem once more to be working with a narrow and rigid definition of "cleverness", which in your interpretation appears to equate to spelling the words right, and copying them down correctly. Let me remind you, that even Shakespeare had around ten different spellings of his own name. Does this mean that he was unintelligent? If so, it must be rather offensive for someone so clearly intelligent as yourself to be learning from such a moron. If Einstein wrote the "Feory of Rellertiverty", would this make the content any less true? Thus, spelling is not in any way a measure of "cleverness"; indeed, you seem not even to be entirely sure of what "cleverness" would actually be.

This was the main point to my post but it did require initiative and reading between the lines so what more should I expect?.. :rolleyes:
    I understood the point. I refuted the point, by proving that the example was a rather meaningless one. Is that okay?

ReputationRep:
    I was interested in getting my point across, not about dealing with a pathetic reply from you. No, see, the way most people deal with simpletons like yourself, is to improvise; yes improvise, the best way because why waste valuable time thinking ahead as to what a simpleton, like yourself, would say when you can argue your case much more strongly...
    What case? What are you arguing?

As for improvisation, I didn't know that this is a game to you. Why don't you carrying arming the people around you with ammunition? You're so good at it we wouldn't want such a gift to be wasted now, would we?

ReputationRep:
    You're just exhibiting your naivety and how you take everything at face value, if you infer that if someone gets A*, it automatically means they are clever but why don't you do what you always do and agree with others, copy what I say and keep squeezing out these groundless posts of yours.
    Dude, use a full stop and be more coherent please... Are you trying to tell me that I am an imbisile for thinking that candidates who achieve A* are clever? Well, if that be what your saying, then I presume I'd need to think that F candidates who can spell, be more clever than A* candidates who can't spell?

ReputationRep:
    What case? What are you arguing?

As for improvisation, I didn't know that this is a game to you. Why don't you carrying arming the people around you with ammunition? You're so good at it we wouldn't want such a gift to be wasted now, would we?
    *Looks around him* Nope... I don't see anyone else helping me out here... Why, is there an invisible helper by my side? I have to credit you for your use of interesting metaphors, it's more than can be said about your debatery skills.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you know what your saying... If you had statements from say, 60% (a good cross section of candidates who sat the 2004 lit exam) then you could pass judgement... Until then, I don't acredit the judgements made when all you have to go on is "what people say" - again, too vague...

So the opinions of school officials hold no value in an educational context?

As you so correctly stated;

I don't think you know what your saying.

ReputationRep:
    So the opinions of school officials hold no value in an educational context?

As you so correctly stated;
    But of course... However, they do not sit the exam personally and therefore are not liable to make those sort of errors. Its fairly relaxing being a teacher on the sidelines, compared to a student who is sitting exams, dealing with puberty (the ups and downs and what not) and more importantly, sitting exams which compensate a large way towards their future..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Firstly: it's nice that you agree with me. English Language and English Literature are two distinct qualifications, and are not to be confused. Although it does have to be taken into account to some small extent (as it already is, with limited marks for spelling, punctuation and grammar), it should not be taken as some simplistic test for "intelligence" alone. Bad spelling does indeed have implications. Bad spelling should be taught and assessed. However, that is why you took an English Language GCSE, which I hear holds these skills in rather high regard.

Secondly: You seem once more to be working with a narrow and rigid definition of "cleverness", which in your interpretation appears to equate to spelling the words right, and copying them down correctly. Let me remind you, that even Shakespeare had around ten different spellings of his own name. Does this mean that he was unintelligent? If so, it must be rather offensive for someone so clearly intelligent as yourself to be learning from such a moron. If Einstein wrote the "Feory of Rellertiverty", would this make the content any less true? Thus, spelling is not in any way a measure of "cleverness"; indeed, you seem not even to be entirely sure of what "cleverness" would actually be.

I understood the point. I refuted the point, by proving that the example was a rather meaningless one. Is that okay?
    Firstly: it's nice that you agree with me.
    Did I?

Let me remind you, that even Shakespeare had around ten different spellings of his own name

This is because there was no formal rules for spelling then.

If Einstein wrote the "Feory of Rellertiverty", would this make the content any less true?
    Einstein was dyslexic.

I refuted the point, by proving that the example was a rather meaningless one.
    How did you do this then? Through opinion? LoL...need I say more? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This is because there was no formal rules for spelling then.
    * This is because there were no formal rules...

ReputationRep:
    *Looks around him* Nope... I don't see anyone else helping me out here... Why, is there an invisible helper by my side? I have to credit you for your use of interesting metaphors, it's more than can be said about your debatery skills.
    Maybe you should improve your skills of interpretation.

I said you "agree with others" to try and get them on your side as exhibited in the following examples:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...73#post2482173
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...44#post2482244
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...66#post2480766

Einstein was dyslexic.
    Therefore, he couldn't spell properly. People who cannot spell properly, by your previous logic, are stupid. Was Einstein stupid? Apparently not. So how do you make these two conclusions meet? Really, I'm interested.

How did you do this then? Through opinion? LoL...need I say more? :rolleyes:
    You tried to back up that the "Average Joe" could get A*s, I argued that your support for this argument was weak at best. You seem unable to be able to further support your "back up" in any intelligent way, so your point rests solely on opinon: most people watching this thread will almost certainly see that you do indeed have a lot more to say.

ReputationRep:
    * This is because there were no formal rules...
    Like a lamb to the slaughter, he takes the bait.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should improve your skills of interpretation.

I said you "agree with others" to try and get them on your side as exhibited in the following examples:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...73#post2482173
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...44#post2482244
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...66#post2480766
    You're very unaware of whats going on around you, for a start I have been arguing my points against yours for the past few hours, why would I want you on my side? I was agreeing with everything, as, I thought it stood strong as a point... I agreed with you on an off-topic comment about zhivago, sorry if that wasn't what you were hoping to read.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.