Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i just finished AS maths (cant predict how well i did), i got an A at gcse's with only one year teaching rather than 2, so i am not too bad at it but it doesnt come naturaly .. was wondering how difficult it gets at A2 , i am worried about taking it next year. does anyone find that it is extremely different from AS or do u usualy get about the same grade at A2 and AS if u work consistantly?
    i hope this makes sense
    thnx

ReputationRep:
    In terms of applied modules, A2 units are harder than AS units, especially with mechanics....core 3 maths is alright when compared to C2, a bit harder perhaps....C4 is generally considered quite tricky, with some integration and vectors questions fiendish...you will see a difference in difficulty, is all I will say :p:

ReputationRep:
    c4 is a differnet ball game to c1/c2

c3 can be mastered providing you are ok with c2. That's about it for the core modules. [edexcel]

For the old syllabus, s2 isn't much of a step up from s1 [imo] not sure how other people think about it [s1-s2 ocr mei]

ReputationRep:
    Easy - c1,c2,m1,
    tricky c3,s1
    evil c4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    Hi i just finished AS maths (cant predict how well i did), i got an A at gcse's with only one year teaching rather than 2, so i am not too bad at it but it doesnt come naturaly .. was wondering how difficult it gets at A2 , i am worried about taking it next year. does anyone find that it is extremely different from AS or do u usualy get about the same grade at A2 and AS if u work consistantly?
    i hope this makes sense
    thnx
    I think most people end with roughly the same grade.

But I think the jump is going to be greater now that with the previous (P) specification as in terms of Core you will only have done C1 and C2 which is more than GCSE but not massively difficult.

However C3 is tougher (but largely similar to C2) and C4 is rather tough indeed (although very thin physically).

In terms of applied modules it depends whether you do S or M, although I have heard that both S2 and M2 are of similar difficulty to S1 and M1 respectively (with some people claiming that stats gets easier).

So can you do it? Probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Easy - c1,c2,m1,
    tricky c3,s1
    evil c4
    A fair summary I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    i hope this makes sense
    thnx
    I've just done C3 and I'm doing C4 at the moment. You have to like trig. And calculus. If you don't like those, you're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    i reckon anyone can do good in A-levels if they work for it...gcse grades dont reflect to A-level grades..some of my friends just about got 5 passes(A-C) in gcse's but now in A-levels r gettin A's

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.