Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, do you think a Laptop would be a big help at University? I'm thinking of getting a 12" Apple PowerBook, and I'd like to know if anyone's found their Laptop to be particularly helpful, if anyone wished they had one, or if they don't really serve any useful purpose at University. From what I guess, it would seem they're a good idea for taking notes and stuff.

(Don't tell me it's a waste of money, I've already decided on buying a computer of some sort).

And I'd probably be taking Law or Economics (if that helps you tell me what you think).

ReputationRep:
    Some lectures won't allow laptops, as they will create lots of noise when typing.

How come you decided to by an Apple notebook instead of a PC one? The laptops you are considering are good for your course, as you will be doing some word processing, spreadsheets, etc... and other stuff related to microsoft office.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I thought the new apple macs were very pc compatible? One of my colleagues at school has a salivatingly-lovely white one and its totally compatible with all the pc stuff we use on the school network (and it seems to run very smoothly!)

ReputationRep:
    An I-book or Powerbook running Microsoft Office X is a compatible as a PC for office documents, I use mine dailly (along side my PC and laptop), and quite a few of my friends use macs soley, and have never had problems, also they are far more reliable

ReputationRep:
    I decided on a PowerBook for many reasons; OS X 10.4 Tiger is incredible (and not affected by viruses, yay!), it's very light and only 12", so very small, great battery life, solid construction, and it's nice looking too. It just seems to be a very nice quality product, and I haven't had much experience with Macs, so it'll be interesting.

So, does anyone know if there are many opportunities to use a laptop at Uni? I guess it would mean I could work in my room instead of trekking down to an IT room.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will be able to use your laptop in your room (though you may get charged a small annual fee for the net connection). You will also be able to use your laptop around the uni. At Plymouth, there is a free T1 net connection in every room/location (either LAN or wireless).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Yes you will be able to use your laptop in your room (though you may get charged a small annual fee for the net connection). You will also be able to use your laptop around the uni. At Plymouth, there is a free T1 net connection in every room/location (either LAN or wireless).
    T1 connection? :eek: That is fast. Do many uni's have this kind of connection? If not, what is the speed?

Anyway, Mr.Fox, you would need this cable to connect to the internet: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...2&tm=undefined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Anyway, Mr.Fox, you would need this cable to connect to the internet: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...2&tm=undefined
    Not necessarily, as all PowerBooks have an Airport Extreme card built in, so if there's wireless internet available, it'll automatically detect it. Although I guess I'll know for sure when it comes to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Not necessarily, as all PowerBooks have an Airport Extreme card built in, so if there's wireless internet available, it'll automatically detect it. Although I guess I'll know for sure when it comes to it.
    Ok then. If you don't connect wirelessly, you need a cable though.

ReputationRep:
    I've invested (or rather parents have \o/) in a laptop, ill just be using it as a desktop replacment mind you, doing everything on it when im out then bringing it back and pluging it in.

ReputationRep:
    I use my laptop in lectures, but it's just a 10" tablet PC and fanless so no noise and quite quiet to type on. Just make sure you mute the sound first

ReputationRep:
    anyone wants to buy a nice system email me or pm me. its a dell one fast system with wireless technology so no wires, lol. reliable hard disk space and fast memory (1gb).

email is [email protected] i live in the york***** area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    T1 connection? :eek: That is fast. Do many uni's have this kind of connection? If not, what is the speed?

A t1 is really not very fast by university standards. I'd be surprised if any uni didn't have 100mbps everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    So, do you think a Laptop would be a big help at University? I'm thinking of getting a 12" Apple PowerBook, and I'd like to know if anyone's found their Laptop to be particularly helpful, if anyone wished they had one, or if they don't really serve any useful purpose at University. From what I guess, it would seem they're a good idea for taking notes and stuff.

(Don't tell me it's a waste of money, I've already decided on buying a computer of some sort).

And I'd probably be taking Law or Economics (if that helps you tell me what you think).
    That's my dream computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)

what type of cable i cant access th link really dont want ot turn up at uni and not be able ot plug into the internet!!!

ReputationRep:
    T1 is only 1mbit iirc?

Warwick have a 40MBit internet pipe iirc- last year when I was in halls i'd get downloads of up to about 4mb/s off the web. There was also a DC++ hub on campus over 100MBit LAN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    what type of cable i cant access th link really dont want ot turn up at uni and not be able ot plug into the internet!!!
    You'll need a 'straight-wired' ethernet cable - commonly known as a 'patch cable'.

ReputationRep:
    stationary :rolleyes: :top:

ReputationRep:
    Say what brother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Say what brother?
    :eek: me?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.