Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Englishness is more of a cultural thing as in reality the coutry of England doesn't exist. Do you consider yourself to belong to the English culture?

ReputationRep:
    The English culture?

ReputationRep:
    The reason these stories dont appear on the UK main news is that they dont involve westerners being killed - notice on TV reports from Iraq it'll say a coalition soldier was injured today in Iraq but is now recovering - also, about 50 Iraqis died in the same incident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Englishness is more of a cultural thing as in reality the coutry of England doesn't exist. Do you consider yourself to belong to the English culture?
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    The English culture?
    If the English culture is getting drunk on Friday and waking up on Saturday with a hangover, then I'm not English. If being English is respecting the values and traditions of England then yes I am.

ReputationRep:
    Those are just aspects of the same culture. You get a middle class Londoner, a working class northerner and an Italian. Then tell me that there isn't an English culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    If the English culture is getting drunk on Friday and waking up on Saturday with a hangover, then I'm not English. If being English is respecting the values and traditions of England then yes I am.
    What are the values and traditions of England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    What are the values and traditions of England?
    Traditionally we have thought of ourselves as a white christian nation, and have valued our right to repel invasion of, say, millions of non-white non-christians.

Some traditions are worth reviving.

Not morris dancing tho'!

ReputationRep:
    More traditionally still, the english were a bunch of nonchristian invaders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Traditionally we have thought of ourselves as a white christian nation, and have valued our right to repel invasion of, say, millions of non-white non-christians.

Some traditions are worth reviving.

Not morris dancing tho'!
    If English tradition is repelling non-white Christians, then I'm glad I'm Welsh *waits for comment on Welsh tradition and sheep*

Seriously, that comment sounded like it had come straight from LC01.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you know, ArthurOliver is the new member of the extreme far right on TSR? Although I have my suspicions that there is, in fact, only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Didn't you know, ArthurOliver is the new member of the extreme far right on TSR? Although I have my suspicions that there is, in fact, only one.
    I was thinking along those lines

ReputationRep:
    :hahaha: clowns.

I'm not left/right/far/LCO1/Andy or anyone else.

You probably think that it's unusual in this day and age to value your national heritage. In fact most people around the world would fiercely protect their nations from outsiders -any nation that would hope to survive must repel outsiders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    :hahaha: clowns.

I'm not left/right/far/LCO1/Andy or anyone else.

You probably think that it's unusual in this day and age to value your national heritage. In fact most people around the world would fiercely protect their nations from outsiders -any nation that would hope to survive must repel outsiders.
    Unfortunately this day and age is a good 700 years after the medieval period you seem to belong in. People are a lot more accepting of other cultures, and the mixing of cultures means that it is very difficult to divide the entire population of the world into set nationalities.

I certainly wouldn't protect my nation from outsiders. Especially nice intelligent ones who may work as doctors or teachers and benefit the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    I certainly wouldn't protect my nation from outsiders.
    Then you won't have a 'nation' for very long. :rolleyes: Good luck to you, but you are the peculiar exception. Africans, Arabs and Asians say, are never going to open up their borders to each other if it would mean becoming minorities in their own homelands (if at all). It's a curiously white pathology.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.