The Student Room Group

i feel im wasting my time!

I know what i want to do but it feels like im wasting time since my friends are working and earning money while i have no job. Im doing a degree in sports science (first year) and went to college an all to get 3 rubbish grades - C D E lol. My aim is to be a physiotherapist preferably in sport but it means im gonna have to waste at least 5 years cause i'l have to finish what im doing now in order to get on a physio course. It will be 3 years of my potential money gaining that im gonna lose before i even start the course.

My friends have full time jobs and no qualifications and are kinda laughing at me when they compare their £250 a week incomes to my 0 income lol. Ive been looking hard for a part time job for a year now and no luck.

What should i do?
Reply 1
saturn
I know what i want to do but it feels like im wasting time since my friends are working and earning money while i have no job. Im doing a degree in sports science (first year) and went to college an all to get 3 rubbish grades - C D E lol. My aim is to be a physiotherapist preferably in sport but it means im gonna have to waste at least 5 years cause i'l have to finish what im doing now in order to get on a physio course. It will be 3 years of my potential money gaining that im gonna lose before i even start the course.

My friends have full time jobs and no qualifications and are kinda laughing at me when they compare their £250 a week incomes to my 0 income lol. Ive been looking hard for a part time job for a year now and no luck.

What should i do?

Just keep looking for a job and carry on with what your doing, it should be worth it in the end :smile:
Reply 2
To be honest, £250 a week in a full time job isn't that much, I know you may feel like you want to be earning money too, but seriously if you enjoy what you're doing then stick at it - it'll be worth it in the end when you've got the well paid job that you've wanted all this time instead of some dead end admin job that still pays a rubbish salary and you don't enjoy.

As for the part time job, have you tried your union? The union bars are always a good place to try, ours employs a lot of people. I wouldn't worry too much, just enjoy your time at uni as its an experience lots of your friends won't have, and hopefully it'll get you where you want to be one day :smile: .
Reply 3
Think about in 20 years time where you'll be, and the feeling that if you hadn't have gone to uni to pursue youre chosen degree and how much you would have regretted it.
Reply 4
Chicken
To be honest, £250 a week in a full time job isn't that much, I know you may feel like you want to be earning money too, but seriously if you enjoy what you're doing then stick at it - it'll be worth it in the end when you've got the well paid job that you've wanted all this time instead of some dead end admin job that still pays a rubbish salary and you don't enjoy.

As for the part time job, have you tried your union? The union bars are always a good place to try, ours employs a lot of people. I wouldn't worry too much, just enjoy your time at uni as its an experience lots of your friends won't have, and hopefully it'll get you where you want to be one day :smile: .

Tbh id say £250 is good for a dead end job i think my mum only gets about that and shes a nurse. Not sure how much physio pays id say about the same though dont wanna upset saturn lol im probably wrong anyway.
Really like you said its finding a job that you enjoy your mates probably hate work everyday whereas you'l be getting a career and you'l have a lot more options and possibly more days off.
Reply 5
When I worked full time on just over min. wage I was coming out with £167.50 for working a 5 day week 9-5.30, it's really not a good wage to be on for the rest of your life, I feel in exactly the same position as you which is one of the reasons why I'm not going to uni, I am however definetly looking to get a job where I know I can work my way up the ladder, I have little preference over the job I get (I see it as just a job) but hey if you know you def. want to do physiotheraphy I'd def. stick it out and get a part time job, if you really want to you could be earning almost as much as a full-time person :smile:
Reply 6
The thing is im actually living at home doing nothing 90% of the time so im not getting the uni experience. Although i dont mind living like this i just think im wasting years i mean if i get on a physio course then the sports degree wont be worth anything and i'l have wasted 3 years since most people go straight onto physio after college or at least after working and earning valuble cash. Since I'l be 22 at the end of this degree i'l be classed as a mature student (who get onto courses quite easily with no qualifications) so i might as well spend 3 years earning cash and then apply for a physiotherapy course. Does anyone know what i mean?
saturn

What should i do?

sure you could compare yourself to yr mates and what they asre doing now BUT compare yourselves to 10 years time... it will be hard for them to get promoted cos of limited skils, so will most probably be stuck on n more than £15000 top. You on the otherhand, if you hang on, will be able to get at least double that amount. I know what I'd prefer to do!
Reply 8
Long Term > Short Term.
Reply 9
You're not 'wasting' your time - you're gonna earn some qualifications, get a great job that you'll love.... and then you'll be rolling in it :wink:

I had the same argument a while ago with a then-friend about me going to 6th form when she pointed out how much money she earnerd *cough* dancing :wink: and i pointed out how much more i'd earn as a Doctor :p: (yes yes i changed my mind... but i'm still gonna earn more than her... especially when she gets old and saggy :wink: :p: )
Reply 10
saturn
The thing is im actually living at home doing nothing 90% of the time so im not getting the uni experience. Although i dont mind living like this i just think im wasting years i mean if i get on a physio course then the sports degree wont be worth anything and i'l have wasted 3 years since most people go straight onto physio after college or at least after working and earning valuble cash. Since I'l be 22 at the end of this degree i'l be classed as a mature student (who get onto courses quite easily with no qualifications) so i might as well spend 3 years earning cash and then apply for a physiotherapy course. Does anyone know what i mean?

actually a lot of people do an other degree first before they do physiotherapy. My cousin is doing physiotherapy at Cardiff and she says there are loads (nearly half the people on the course) who have been doing other things first and who have loads more experience than her.
Reply 11
saturn

With your degree, though, you'll prob find it easier to get a job in physiotherapy - the employer is gonna be more likely to employ a graduate than somebody who just did the course straight from college! Plus, won't they be more likely to accept you onto the physio course than someone who has fewer qualifications?

Getting a part time bar job would be a good idea too - earn a bit of cash and have more fun too, get out there!
Reply 12
saturn

What should i do?

Same position I was in when I went to uni. Trust me, you'll see the benefits of sticking at your plans, although it does get depressing when you got no cash, and your amtes are going on hols etc etc
Definitely stick at it. Your friends may be earning a lot compared to you since you don't have a job at the moment, but they probably hate what they do and if they don't have any qualifications, they probably won't have a lot of opportunities for progression and promotion. When you finally finish your education, you'll have a career you've wanted for ages and will hopefully be earning a fair bit of money too. It should be pretty easy to find part-time work at university; try the bars, shops etc, and if not, there should plenty of places in town used to employing students.
Reply 14
plus with your sports science dgeree you can applyfor a place on a physiotherapy MSc course - its 3 year degree in two years andthe pre-requisite is that you have to have a2:1 in a degree already .........so you wouldn't necessarily have to do a 3 year physio degree (I am, but thats only because I didn't get in on the MSc)

Check out the healthcare section in the uiversity part of this site - loads ofus doing physio as a second degree!
Reply 15
JackieS
plus with your sports science dgeree you can applyfor a place on a physiotherapy MSc course - its 3 year degree in two years andthe pre-requisite is that you have to have a2:1 in a degree already .........so you wouldn't necessarily have to do a 3 year physio degree (I am, but thats only because I didn't get in on the MSc)

Check out the healthcare section in the uiversity part of this site - loads ofus doing physio as a second degree!

I wanted to do physio but i heard its not well paid and really hard work ie lifting people etc im not all that strong lol. Does the msc apply if youve done psychology at degree?
Reply 16
saturn

You can do a masters on physio which only takes 2 years :smile:
Reply 17
horrorboy
I wanted to do physio but i heard its not well paid and really hard work ie lifting people etc im not all that strong lol. Does the msc apply if youve done psychology at degree?

well that would depend on what your definition of well paid is!!!! There issome manual lifting etc but you're taught safe waysto lift so tha even small and unstrong people can manoeuvre patients.................yesthey would accept your with psychology - ones of the applicants at KCL had done mechanical engineering!
It's about what you want to do with your life, not just the immediate financial returns. When a load of my mates left school they were all earning more money than I was, and this continued to be the case even when I graduated and started teaching. In fact I didn't pass a lot of them in earning capacity for many years,
however -
I eventually did and I enjoyed the job I was doing far more than they did. You will reach an age when your career gives you opportunities for earning that far outweigh theres- believe me it will have been worth it then.

Latest

Trending

Trending