Turn on thread page Beta

How do you plan on opening/receiving your results? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I still don't see how having results in your signature, when it's something almost everyone does, is 'showing off', but we shall agree to disagree :p: I agree with you that GCSEs don't say much though; it's A-levels and degrees that do that.
    I don't think it's always showing off as such - it just seems to have become a traditional TSR thing. In some cases it probably is, when people have achieved extremely well and want to publicise it - on the one hand I can understand that, but especially speaking as one of the people who didn't uber-achieve, it gets pretty annoying at time when people list their exceptional grades

You can never say for definite somebody's motives though (unless of course they've actually posted saying how brilliant they are etc :rolleyes: ) and I definitely don't think you do it to show off or anything like that - it comes across to me as being because a) it's something a lot of people do b) so people know they can ask you about help in certain subjects c) because you worked hard for them and are proud of them - as people have a right to be. In the end it doesn't really mean anything

ReputationRep:
    We all line up outside of our respective classes and then at the front of the queue the teacher awaits, it is really hard to not say the wrong thing when you're talking to someone who has done worse than you, easy if they've done better though, just say you want to kill them and get a little jealous but all in good fun.

That was for the January exams at least, not sure what'll be like in the summer though.

I expect there to be a huge queue though since I guess there won't be queues for each class, I'm kind of nervous even though I think I did good in my exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    We all line up outside of our respective classes and then at the front of the queue the teacher awaits,it is really hard to not say the wrong thing when you're talking to someone who has done worse than you, easy if they've done better though, just say you want to kill them and get a little jealous but all in good fun.

That was for the January exams at least, not sure what'll be like in the summer though.

I expect there to be a huge queue though since I guess there won't be queues for each class, I'm kind of nervous even though I think I did good in my exams.
    hey TomX!

just looking at your GCSE results in your sig....... i got quite similar results too........ and then your AS grades.... woah! maybe theres still hope for me after all

I'm dreading results day Scudy is expecting me to get an A for psychology, but i think i fell a bit short of one :bawling: lol

other than that, possibly an A in ICT, and C's in maths + Physics :bawling:

Hope you do get your predicted grades! what are your plans for after 6th form? will you be going to university?

maybe this would better suit a pm, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    hey TomX!

just looking at your GCSE results in your sig....... i got quite similar results too........ and then your AS grades.... woah! maybe theres still hope for me after all

I'm dreading results day Scudy is expecting me to get an A for psychology, but i think i fell a bit short of one :bawling: lol

other than that, possibly an A in ICT, and C's in maths + Physics :bawling:

Hope you do get your predicted grades! what are your plans for after 6th form? will you be going to university?

maybe this would better suit a pm, lol
    spamming up the thread i started? :mad:
    hey, i've said it before, and i'll say it again: gcse's mean NOTHING!! I'm sure you'll get your A in psychology, you only need just over half on each paper :rolleyes: (for AQA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I don't think it's always showing off as such - it just seems to have become a traditional TSR thing. In some cases it probably is, when people have achieved extremely well and want to publicise it - on the one hand I can understand that, but especially speaking as one of the people who didn't uber-achieve, it gets pretty annoying at time when people list their exceptional grades

You can never say for definite somebody's motives though (unless of course they've actually posted saying how brilliant they are etc :rolleyes: ) and I definitely don't think you do it to show off or anything like that - it comes across to me as being because a) it's something a lot of people do b) so people know they can ask you about help in certain subjects c) because you worked hard for them and are proud of them - as people have a right to be. In the end it doesn't really mean anything
    Hey, don't put yourself down- your GCSE grades were excellent, and when you add in the fact that you were ill, they're even better! I think in the majority of cases, it is for the reasons you stated. There are a few arrogant people who do it to show off, but they're pretty easy to spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    spamming up the thread i started? :mad:
    hey, i've said it before, and i'll say it again: gcse's mean NOTHING!! I'm sure you'll get your A in psychology, you only need just over half on each paper :rolleyes: (for AQA)
    Lol, sorry, it's an old habbit :rolleyes:

GCSE's, They dont mean nothing, no, lol i knew that!

an it was OCR, but i hope it was only half marks for each paper! Lol

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not showing off, if that's the impression I'm giving. If it's any consolation my mum wasn't impressed by my results, she threw a fit at my B and accused me of not doing enough work for English. As for my really high Spanish mark that I was psyched about, she said "Well it must have been really easy then". So thank you guys for being impressed, at least some people are, cos I did work last year.

Sorry that post was all about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Well I'm not showing off, if that's the impression I'm giving. If it's any consolation my mum wasn't impressed by my results, she threw a fit at my B and accused me of not doing enough work for English. As for my really high Spanish mark that I was psyched about, she said "Well it must have been really easy then". So thank you guys for being impressed, at least some people are, cos I did work last year.

That's really harsh of your mum! So a B is because you didn't work hard enough, and an A is because the exam is too easy? Just ignore her - you know you worked and you got the grades you deserve and in the end, it doesn't concern your mum anyway.

How I plan on opening my results - I'm tempted to ask a teacher to tell me if I got into Nottingham before opening them. Last year I was in tears before I even looked at my results and I refused to open them lol! - teacher was rather shocked considering I came out with AAAC at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    What I did at GCSE worked pretty well - slide it out of the envelope slowly so that you see the results one at a time and can pause between each one as needed...
    Hmm yeh as someone else has said - that would be torture!

I'd rather not open them altogether

ReputationRep:
    Just go and get the results and open them! it aint a big deal and no rituals will change the grades that one gets i.e hanging upside down with your head facing a toilet bowl smeared in toffee cheesecake. If you do good, well done. If not, tough.

Vincent

ReputationRep:
    Lol. that does sound like an interesting night out though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)

Oh my God :eek: Good job my mum's not like that, I wouldn't be alive to do A-levels :rofl: I wouldn't have let her get away with that though! Honestly, some parents! :mad: The amount of pressure they put on their kids to get amazing results, and the way they put them down for getting a few less than perfect grades! Your results are fantastic and I'm sure you worked really hard for them- don't let your parents, or anyone else, put you down :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I always intend to run off and refuse to open them til I'm alone - but like my annual promises that I "won't tell anyone what I got" this never actually happens - as soon as I get my hands on it I just can't stop myself For the GCSEs my parents came in with me on the train, and I met most of my friends there - I opened mine with my cleverest friend who got 8A*s and 3As but I was just genuinely happy for her and so relieved to have passed everything I wasn't jealous, lol! Then for the January results we all opened them together.

It's horrible though, cos if you badly it must just be a nightmare, and if you do better than your friends some get really upset and you don't know what to say.

I can't believe we have to wait 2 months
    Aw, I know the feeling! I don't like the fact we have to wait for so long either, but as my parents are examiners I can sympathise with what they are going through right now. They have a very strict series of deadlines for marked scripts to be checked and sent back etc to make sure the final mark is as accurate as possible. Tis scary to think that right now someone could be marking my work! (and struggling to read my increasingly frantic scribble hehe :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    Is anyone going to take pictures?! It will be a historic day.
    :O:O:O:O that is scary,arrrgh thinking about it makes shake
    anyway we dont get our results in an envelope that are all taken out and the headteache kinda sees them all and stuff,I don't know I don't want that actully I want to get in an envelope and maybe let my mom see it first.

ReputationRep:
    my teacher will probably look at them before i come to collect them so all i have to do is look at her face. Last year when i went to get my AS results she said 'you should be pleased'. Ill only get worried if there is negative response. she better say well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishrose)
    I'm exactly the same with practical exams! I'm fine in written exams, and don't get the nerves 'til results day, which I've always though is the wrong way round.

As for collecting results, I'll probably do similar to what I did last year; get my results, walk just outside the school building, where it's quieter with less people, look at my results and take them in, then go and talk to my friends and teachers. This year I promised to get one of my friend's results for him as he's on holiday. I don't see the point, I can tell him what he's going to get now. 4 As, 100% in all of them. Clever git.
    think I might collect my friend's result as she wont be here though I'm not sure.hope I'll deliver some great news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused?)
    my teacher will probably look at them before i come to collect them so all i have to do is look at her face. Last year when i went to get my AS results she said 'you should be pleased'. Ill only get worried if there is negative response. she better say well done
    hehehe my teacher is the same she looks at them,though in jan results I had to call her,but she didn't get them so at noone I was teaching my little brother as he had an exam the next day,and she called me I was litrally shaking I couldn't stand until she gave me the results I kept shaking for another hour afterwords was really hediously scary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    :O:O:O:O that is scary,arrrgh thinking about it makes shake
    anyway we dont get our results in an envelope that are all taken out and the headteache kinda sees them all and stuff,I don't know I don't want that actully I want to get in an envelope and maybe let my mom see it first.
    We don't get them in envelopes too. I think they don't want to waste envelopes on us. We have an A4 sheet which specifies the summary of subjects and modules taken and a UMS and grade next to them, and after the A4 sheet, it's the exam board's candidate statement of results stappled together. Anyway, when I got my AS results last year, the teacher looked pleased, but I when I look at my results, they weren't that good. I think she was happy that I met my AS target grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)

Don't worry hun been there!
    In my P1 exam I got a UMS of 90 - but because the Maths Dpt got the raw scores they actually knew I'd dropped one mark on the entire paper.
    I know that's easier in Maths than other subjects, and since I finished P1 literally months before the exam (we had a whole range of abilities in our class so myself and Jon were given a textbook and told teach yourself) but naturally I was totally over the moon about it.
    My Dad's response? What happened to the 1 mark?

ReputationRep:
    we get given them in envelopes. unfortunately, (at a-level)l the marks are numerical so after opening the envelope you get to spend ten minutes having a little nervous breakdown whilst you try and add up your modular marks, remember what the grade boundaries are and get someone to double check it. i've decided that i'm going to be hiding in a corner having a panic attack and getting someone else to open the results.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.