Turn on thread page Beta

How do you plan on opening/receiving your results? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Lol, my bf's a bit like that. Last year I got 4 As (including 100% for English) and one B, and all he could focus on was the one B! Really took the wind out of my sails!
    Awww, that's so harsh! It's not unusual for parents and teachers to be like that unfortunately, but you wouldn't expect it from a boyfriend! Did he happen to get 5 As or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazzie)
    Praying DOES help!
    not in reality...maybe only phychologically. I'm atheist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    not in reality...maybe only phychologically. I'm atheist!
    Me too Praying is not an option then.......bribery maybe???

ReputationRep:
    Lol, my bf's a bit like that. Last year I got 4 As (including 100% for English) and one B, and all he could focus on was the one B! Really took the wind out of my sails!
    my parents are weird...didn't ask for my results at all, lol...oblivious to the fact that i even did AS!!!!....i told then a few weeks later that i got 4A's and they were like, oh thats nice( in that uninterested way they do)! - wish my parents took as much notice as yours, lol...i got one B in a module too!...physics practical, lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Me too Praying is not an option then.......bribery maybe???
    not even that - what has happened has happened, lol...worrying/thinking about it wont help you or anyone else...just relax and enjoy your well deserved summer

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    anyone got the link for the delightful death clock... err the results day countdown?
    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1957/countdown.htm

ReputationRep:
    Awww, that's so harsh! It's not unusual for parents and teachers to be like that unfortunately, but you wouldn't expect it from a boyfriend! Did he happen to get 5 As or something?
    Erm, well he's graduating from Oxford University next week with a PhD in cardiac physiology...

ReputationRep:
    I am giving serious consideration to opening the envelope, and then reading what it says on the piece of paper inside.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Erm, well he's graduating from Oxford University next week with a PhD in cardiac physiology...
    Ooooh I see.....

ReputationRep:
    when i opened my gcses i was like shockingly pleasantly surprised - sooo much better than i thought i would get. phoned my dad who was at a sheep sale (after telling him i was pregnant - a favourite hobby of mine) he said i will buy a sheep in your honour
    my friends had a ball
    hehe

ReputationRep:
    hey, i dont understand this stuff about going to get results and taking a calculator...are the letter grades not simply written on the sheets of paper or do you have to actually take a few minutes and work out the grade you achieved. is it different for different schools?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_Flawless)
    hey, i dont understand this stuff about going to get results and taking a calculator...are the letter grades not simply written on the sheets of paper or do you have to actually take a few minutes and work out the grade you achieved. is it different for different schools?? :confused:
    some people may be only taking on module and adding it to their existing results. But for nearly everyone, the results will be out of 300 or 600 depending on whether you are AS a final year a level student.

480 - A
    420 - B
    etc

ReputationRep:
    the grade should be shown but I'm sure I was told that it costs extra for the school so depends if they pay ...although don't quote me on that because I'm not sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazzie)
    Praying DOES help! Its always got me through!

I think i too am going to have to ask one of mates to tell me if i got into do uni or not. Very unfair on them, i know, but for GSCE's i misunderstood the i thought i'd got 4D's and was shocked, until someone pointed out they were 4 distnctions for GNVQ IT!

The coming of the results this time is worse than all the previous...this time they'l actually count!
    Praying 'kind of' work for me, but not always. :p:

(Original post by Phil23)
    my parents are weird...didn't ask for my results at all, lol...oblivious to the fact that i even did AS!!!!....i told then a few weeks later that i got 4A's and they were like, oh thats nice( in that uninterested way they do)! - wish my parents took as much notice as yours, lol...i got one B in a module too!...physics practical, lol
    :eek: That is strange to me. My parents always ask me for results, including what grades I'm predicted for A2 before applying to university. You should ask them why don't they ask to see the results. In addition, you should show it to them.

(Original post by Singh_Flawless)
    hey, i dont understand this stuff about going to get results and taking a calculator...are the letter grades not simply written on the sheets of paper or do you have to actually take a few minutes and work out the grade you achieved. is it different for different schools??
    It is written on the piece of paper. It shows an overall grade for AS or A-level, not the individual modules. At the back of the exam board results, there is chart to determine what grade you got when looking at the UMS you have.

ReputationRep:
    Tis hard enough trying to live up to your own expectations imo, without having relations/bfs who have even higher ones, lol. I think they should at least lay off when you're younger and bound to be less committed anyway: I remember it all starting with primary school SATs (why didn't I get all 6s) and entrance exams to selective schools (why did I only come 2nd) :rolleyes: Parents.

Still, I'd settle for just getting As in French and History 5/6 weeks from now, but it doesn't seem likely best o' luck with yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Tis hard enough trying to live up to your own expectations imo, without having relations/bfs who have even higher ones, lol. I think they should at least lay off when you're younger and bound to be less committed anyway: I remember it all starting with primary school SATs (why didn't I get all 6s) and entrance exams to selective schools (why did I only come 2nd) :rolleyes: Parents.

Still, I'd settle for just getting As in French and History 5/6 weeks from now, but it doesn't seem likely best o' luck with yours
    Damn, your parents have some bloody high expectations! Level 6 is the national average in Year 9, let alone Year 6! My SATs results were 544 at Key Stage 2 and 776 at Key Stage 3! And they weren't happy when you came 2nd in an entrace test? I remember how happy mine were when I passed the 11+ and I only just passed; the pass mark was 1898 and I got 1898 :cool: I guess it's different when your parents are spending money on your education like yours were, but still, that's harsh!

I'm sure you'll get your As; I hate all this waiting though! 5 weeks and 5 days....

ReputationRep:
    Damn, your parents have some bloody high expectations! Level 6 is the national average in Year 9, let alone Year 6! My SATs results were 544 at Key Stage 2 and 776 at Key Stage 3! And they weren't happy when you came 2nd in an entrace test? I remember how happy mine were when I passed the 11+ and I only just passed; the pass mark was 1898 and I got 1898 :cool: I guess it's different when your parents are spending money on your education like yours were, but still, that's harsh!

I'm sure you'll get your As; I hate all this waiting though! 5 weeks and 5 days....
    Yeah it's weird really, considering my dad went to what is now De Montford and got a 3rd and my mum dropped out of university after one week (well she was supposed to be applying to Oxford and she got 98% in her mock A level - unfortunately, her dad was an alcoholic and made their lives misery, &she had a bit of a breakdown) Well they weren't spending *that* much money on it as I had a 70% bursary, but still. Yeah I was really proud at the time, cos I tried for Hereford Cathedral and Shrewsbury High, came 2nd in Hereford's English and 12th overall in Shrewsbury's despite being crap at maths and science, &that was the first time mum really deflated me over something like that. I think it's basically because of her expectations that I now set ridiculous targets for myself - it rubbed off I know I sound stupid when I start off just wanting an A at English AS, then decide I'd like 280+, then 300, then full raw marks :rolleyes: Even if I got that though, I think she'd find some way to criticise it. Still I keep trying to bring myself down 2 earth and set more realistic goals It's so stupid to be like the above, because you can never be satisfied! I guess a lot of people's parents are like that.

hehe nice one with the 11+, that is cool

Ha I have promised to do some really dodgy dare things if I actually get an A in French - so bad in fact, that I almost hope I don't :eek: I think though I'd be in such a state of delirious shock if I did that I wouldn't notice what I was doing anyway :rolleyes: I know, I hate waiting this long :bawling: tis like a well honed form of torture.

ReputationRep:
    Level 6 in year 6 isn't the same as Level 6 in year 9. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Yeah it's weird really, considering my dad went to what is now De Montford and got a 3rd and my mum dropped out of university after one week (well she was supposed to be applying to Oxford and she got 98% in her mock A level - unfortunately, her dad was an alcoholic and made their lives misery, &she had a bit of a breakdown) Well they weren't spending *that* much money on it as I had a 70% bursary, but still. Yeah I was really proud at the time, cos I tried for Hereford Cathedral and Shrewsbury High, came 2nd in Hereford's English and 12th overall in Shrewsbury's despite being crap at maths and science, &that was the first time mum really deflated me over something like that. I think it's basically because of her expectations that I now set ridiculous targets for myself - it rubbed off I know I sound stupid when I start off just wanting an A at English AS, then decide I'd like 280+, then 300, then full raw marks :rolleyes: Even if I got that though, I think she'd find some way to criticise it. Still I keep trying to bring myself down 2 earth and set more realistic goals It's so stupid to be like the above, because you can never be satisfied! I guess a lot of people's parents are like that.

hehe nice one with the 11+, that is cool

Ha I have promised to do some really dodgy dare things if I actually get an A in French - so bad in fact, that I almost hope I don't :eek: I think though I'd be in such a state of delirious shock if I did that I wouldn't notice what I was doing anyway :rolleyes: I know, I hate waiting this long :bawling: tis like a well honed form of torture.
    That explains your mum then, although your dad can't really talk :p: That's the great thing about both my parents leaving school at 16 and my brother dropping out with ASs of BCDE- no-one can really have a go at me about my grades It's probably because my parents are always so supportive that I don't do that, which is good really. With my GCSE results, I knew I could have done better in certain subjects, but I was still happy with what I got, and even though I'd love to get AAAA at AS, I know I've done my best, so if I don't, I don't. I get more worried about what my teachers and friends will say than my family. It's like I'm not allowed to be worried; all my friends can sit there and stress, but if I say I'm nervous or whatever, I just get told 'oh shut up, you're going to get an A anyway' :rolleyes:

If I get an A in English.......well, I don't know what I'll do, something pretty funny!

ReputationRep:
    That explains your mum then, although your dad can't really talk :p: That's the great thing about both my parents leaving school at 16 and my brother dropping out with ASs of BCDE- no-one can really have a go at me about my grades It's probably because my parents are always so supportive that I don't do that, which is good really. With my GCSE results, I knew I could have done better in certain subjects, but I was still happy with what I got, and even though I'd love to get AAAA at AS, I know I've done my best, so if I don't, I don't. I get more worried about what my teachers and friends will say than my family. It's like I'm not allowed to be worried; all my friends can sit there and stress, but if I say I'm nervous or whatever, I just get told 'oh shut up, you're going to get an A anyway' :rolleyes:

If I get an A in English.......well, I don't know what I'll do, something pretty funny!
    hehe true BCDE - that's a fun mixture!!

My parents were actually OK about my GCSEs because I did better than they expected for once.

I know what ya mean - at SHS it was totally different, because by GCSE level my friends were way better than me at everything except English, French and history (as well as being faaaaaar better all rounders) so I could moan as much as I wanted Now though, am in same situation as you because my friends&teachers here expect me 2 do well&either get mad or laugh if I say I won't :mad: which sucks because then if you do do badly you feel even worse!

I bet you do get an A in English - it sounded like your c/w was really good and I bet the exams went much better than you think. Even in the unlikely event of your dropping to a B, AAAB is fine - I wouldn't mind getting that, it's screwing up history that really worries me.

Dyu by any chance know how to say something along the lines of, "keep to my diet" or "watch my figure" in French?? lol!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.