Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    What I did at GCSE worked pretty well - slide it out of the envelope slowly so that you see the results one at a time and can pause between each one as needed...
    Just out of curiosity, why do you only have 3 of your GCSE results listed in your signature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Just out of curiosity, why do you only have 3 of your GCSE results listed in your signature?
    He means for a,b,c,d,e= A*, f,g,h=A, i,j=B :rolleyes:
    (letters equating to subjects obv)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    He means for a,b,c,d,e= A*, f,g,h=A, i,j=B :rolleyes:
    (letters equating to subjects obv)
    Oh OK, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, why do you have yours listed in your sig *at all*?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what Saffie said^

I have them listed in my sig because everyone else seemed to have the same eg. kellywood_5 does and so do many people... I was following the trend.

Seeing what subjects people are doing/have done and which they are best at is a quick way of establishing what people have in common round here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Yeah, what Saffie said^

I have them listed in my sig because everyone else seemed to have the same eg. kellywood_5 does and so do many people... I was following the trend.

Seeing what subjects people are doing/have done and which they are best at is a quick way of establishing what people have in common round here.
    Yeah, but isn't it a bit boastful to list all your amazing grades? I've seen people with huge long lists of A*s and listing the zillion subjects they're taking for A level and all their predicted grades, it just seems a bit... I dunno, arrogant and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    What I did at GCSE worked pretty well - slide it out of the envelope slowly so that you see the results one at a time and can pause between each one as needed...
    i find that being torture. I just open it all at once

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Yeah, but isn't it a bit boastful to list all your amazing grades? I've seen people with huge long lists of A*s and listing the zillion subjects they're taking for A level and all their predicted grades, it just seems a bit... I dunno, arrogant and unnecessary.
    yep i agree, particularly if people get over, say, 4 A* at gcse, tbh it just makes me think- 'oooo get you :rolleyes:, you went to a private/good school,' or that you're showing off.
    I've put my predicted A2 grades in my sig, not necessarily boastful, there is a :eek: face after all.

ReputationRep:
    yep i agree, particularly if people get over, say, 4 A* at gcse, tbh it just makes me think- 'oooo get you :rolleyes:, you went to a private/good school,' or that you're showing off.
    I've put my predicted A2 grades in my sig, not necessarily boastful, there is a :eek: face after all.
    This is one of the worst I've seen so far:

Predicted GCSE results:
    French A*
    English lit and lang A*A*
    Science A*A*
    RS A*
    PE A
    Art A
    Maths A*
    Statistics A/A*
    Resistant materials A*....but don't ask why!
    AS subjects: French, RS, Chemistry, Biology, Physics,
    Maths.
    I hate the false modesty in the "don't ask why" and then the fact that they go on to say that they're studying SIX AS levels... and one of them isn't even general studies. Pah, it's probably all fake anyway :mad:

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the worst I've seen so far:

I hate the false modesty in the "don't ask why" and then the fact that they go on to say that they're studying SIX AS levels... and one of them isn't even general studies. Pah, it's probably all fake anyway :mad:
    Good luck to em if they're taking 6 As Levels, a lot of colleges warn you off even 5 because of the work load. Places look for more than qualifications, i think i'd be quite scared if someone came to my university and were capable of getting 5/6 a-levels!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be one of the first to laugh when their actual results are lower. I'm probably not as impressed as I should be with the subjects they're planning to take at AS. They're the type that you can know the backbones of the course already. E.g. I'd suggest this person's probably been brought up around religion- hence takes RS, brought up around French- hence takes French, enjoys maths so does it in their spare time- hence takes that and so on. Obv that could be total false, but that's just my impression, IME.
    It's quite strange that English and social sciences would impress me more, because you can be interested in people and speak English all your life, but you actually have to learn totally new material etc.
    Oh well, good luck to them, hopefully they'll have time to learn modesty along with all those AS's.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, why do you have yours listed in your sig *at all*?
    Why not? This is a student forum, so it makes sense to list the qualifications you already have and the ones you're taking. That way, people know what subjects you're doing and what you're good at so they can ask you questions or for help with something.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? This is a student forum, so it makes sense to list the qualifications you already have and the ones you're taking. That way, people know what subjects you're doing and what you're good at so they can ask you questions or for help with something.
    Hmm... seems more like showing off to me...

ReputationRep:
    I hate the false modesty in the "don't ask why"
    How do you know it's false modesty? Some people genuinely do think they're going to do/have done worse in certain subjects than they've been predicted.

and then the fact that they go on to say that they're studying SIX AS levels... and one of them isn't even general studies. Pah, it's probably all fake anyway :mad:
    Again, you don't know that, and why does it make you so angry anyway? If this person is really predicted all those A*s and taking 6 ASs, which is perfectly feasible given that there are some very intelligent people out there, what's the problem? I sense a bit of jealousy here...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... seems more like showing off to me...
    If I wanted to show off, I'd give myself straight A*s or 9 A*s and 1 A or something like that. Given that many many people on here got/are predicted better grades than me, it hardly seems likely that I'm showing off.

ReputationRep:
    if you're the academic-offering-help-type, then you can go to the academic forums and reply or if you really want to help with French (since you got your A* in it) then you could just offer french assistance in your sig.

I'm missing your point..? if I gave someone biology advice I wouldn't expect them to think it's rubbish just because I only got a B at gcse, which will mean nothing when i get an A at AS. So I'm saying previous performance isn't reflective of that in the present.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be one of the first to laugh when their actual results are lower.
    Don't you think that's a bit mean? There are quite a few people who get grades like that, so unless you're just jealous, what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know it's false modesty? Some people genuinely do think they're going to do/have done worse in certain subjects than they've been predicted.
    This is just the impression it gives.

Again, you don't know that, and why does it make you so angry anyway? If this person is really predicted all those A*s and taking 6 ASs, which is perfectly feasible given that there are some very intelligent people out there, what's the problem? I sense a bit of jealousy here...
    Jealousy? Don't make me laugh. I have more of a life than to take that many A levels and I'm perfectly happy with my results as it happens. I could show off about them by putting them in my sig, but I just find it immodest, so I don't. It's not as if anyone else cares what results people got; it doesn't make me angry as such, I just find it pathetic - and I'm obviously not the only one to find it so - that people feel the need to brag to everyone else about their amazing results and so on.

ReputationRep:
    if you're the academic-offering-help-type, then you can go to the academic forums and reply or if you really want to help with French (since you got your A* in it) then you could just offer french assistance in your sig.

I'm missing your point..? if I gave someone biology advice I wouldn't expect them to think it's rubbish just because I only got a B at gcse, which will mean nothing when i get an A at AS. So I'm saying previous performance isn't reflective of that in the present.
    Not necessarily, but in most cases it is.

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to show off, I'd give myself straight A*s or 9 A*s and 1 A or something like that. Given that many many people on here got/are predicted better grades than me, it hardly seems likely that I'm showing off.
    Was I saying that you specifically were showing off? My point was the the whole concept of displaying your results for all to see seems like showing off to me, it's as simple as that. And from comments I've seen on this thread and others, it would seem that I'm by no means alone in finding it so.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.