Turn on thread page Beta

Careers: What we want to do and why?!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm intrested in why people/students decide to persue certain careers. I always thought that perhaps many people went for degrees/qualifications to get a well paid job. I know this view is not true, as many people have made careers in things such as teaching, charity work, etc. There are other careers such as persuing one in medicine.

So can the people who have decided on their future careers, please enlighten me as to why you want to do it. Regards.

ReputationRep:
    i want to be a carer(i dont know what kind) but i know i want to help people!my mum did before she died and im not just doing it for her but im doing it because i feel that its one of the only jobs that i could come out and have a smile on my face at the end of the day! But my one true ambition is to be actress!ive dreamt of being one since i was a little girl!x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I'm intrested in why people/students decide to persue certain careers. I always thought that perhaps many people went for degrees/qualifications to get a well paid job. I know this view is not true, as many people have made careers in things such as teaching, charity work, etc. There are other careers such as persuing one in medicine.

So can the people who have decided on their future careers, please enlighten me as to why you want to do it. Regards.
    Well, starting my own business, because it makes alot of money!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Well, starting my own business, because it makes alot of money!!!
    my drwm job is more to do with what i can do to help people!x x x i know it sounds sad but i do!x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    my drwm job is more to do with what i can do to help people!x x x i know it sounds sad but i do!x x x
    It doesn't sound sad at all, if the person at the other end is benefitting from your help, then its worthwhile. You should never put yourself down.

ReputationRep:
    Web / Multimedia / Printed Design

ReputationRep:

i want to be a midwife, the moneys not great, the hours are pretty *****y, but it's what i've always wanted to do. i think it's interesting, something i'd get loads of job satisfaction out of and it's working with loads of different people
    And it's not likely to become a dying trade, there'll still be a use for me when i'm old and grey!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound sad at all, if the person at the other end is benefitting from your help, then its worthwhile. You should never put yourself down.
    i dont its just some people on here are all about the money and the rich lifestyle! not that i disagree with that but its just not me!yes i want to be rich but i dont want to do it in a bad way or ripping people of to get to the top!

ReputationRep:
    No, its right. I want to do that with my life, just not my career.
    Thats why i started the PPU (party promoting unity) on this forum.
    But if i can earn alot of cash, i'd have more to help others with.

ReputationRep:
    No, its right. I want to do that with my life, just not my career.
    Thats why i started the PPU (party promoting unity) on this forum.
    But if i can earn alot of cash, i'd have more to help others with.
    whats the PPU?

ReputationRep:
    whats the PPU?
    The Party Promoting Unity.
    Basically, there are so many different parties, factions etc. on this forum.
    The PPU is about trying to stop this, and pull people together, to help each other, and improve this forum, and eventually the world, by promoting this sort of community and co-operational spirit.

ReputationRep:
    The Party Promoting Unity.
    Basically, there are so many different parties, factions etc. on this forum.
    The PPU is about trying to stop this, and pull people together, to help each other, and improve this forum, and eventually the world, by promoting this sort of community and co-operational spirit.

That'll work (!) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    whats the PPU?
    Perpitraitous, punks and underlings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    That'll work (!) :rolleyes:
    Well, i hope it will.
    And i know it doesn't sound feasable right now, but its better to try and fail to make lives better, than not to even try in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I think the hype of the parties has calmed down over the last day and today. The parties don't seem to be campaigning on every thread at the moment so i can tolerate them for now.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread about parties.

I thought i knew what i wanted to do, but now i am no longer so sure following on from this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I think the hype of the parties has calmed down over the last day and today. The parties don't seem to be campaigning on every thread at the moment so i can tolerate them for now.
    Just out of interest, what is it that you would usually dislike about parties in general?

ReputationRep:
    Well, i hope it will.
    And i know it doesn't sound feasable right now, but its better to try and fail to make lives better, than not to even try in the first place.
    That, my friend, is true. I commend you for your efforts. Don't you feel that we should take more action? I mean, students only seem to protest, and make an impact on events concerning war (and that is only anti-war protests). Oh, and tution fees... Nothing else. I am surprised - we, as students, could make more of an impact on society than any other socio-demographic group...

Oh, and I'm not a trouble maker, honest!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what is it that you would usually dislike about parties in general?
    The way they split up the forum, and hi-jacked every thread with a "join our party" or "my party is better than your party" reply. Which i haven't seen over the last day or so.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It's all a bit primary school for my taste

(who's side are you on? mine or theirs? :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    That, my friend, is true. I commend you for your efforts. Don't you feel that we should take more action? I mean, students only seem to protest, and make an impact on events concerning war (and that is only anti-war protests). Oh, and tution fees... Nothing else. I am surprised - we, as students, could make more of an impact on society than any other socio-demographic group...

Oh, and I'm not a trouble maker, honest!
    Exactly. But i do take action when i feel it needs to be done.
    I set up the PPU when this forum needed it, i protested against the war in the ways i felt would be most effective, not in marches, but by directly e-mailing the white house, and putting to them a list of concerns about the war, its motives and implications, and asking for them to explain themselves.
    It is more important now than ever to protest against things that are wrong, because it is getting harder and harder to make the government listen.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.