Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    silly tart all i'm saying..

ReputationRep:
    There are alternative, far less damaging methods of discipline IMO. And the police incident has clearly scared her as much as any further punishment would.

ReputationRep:
    You're obviously not as foolish as a repeat offender of this because you're guilt ridden....whereas 'shoplifters' generally dont care and just do it for the power trip, if you explain how guilty you are and how much you've learned from it to your parents and just be really gushing and stuff then I'm sure they'll realise you havent become a master criminal in the making. At least once you've told them you wont have it weighing on your mind. Good luck anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to get controversial but a poor boy who happened to wearing a tracksuit and jewellery falls in mud and somebody posts it and everyone laughs and takes the piss and say things like "Justice" but somebody nicks stuff from a shop, swears at women and people are offering a shoulder to cry on!

Who's the 'chav'?

ReputationRep:
    The one that doesn't show remorse.If you want to get off taking the piss out of people who have made one bad decision and show regret for it that's your decision. Criminals come about in this society because people like you label them so. One act + remorse = not a criminal make leave the poor girl alone.

Although admittedly posting it on a public forum isn't the best thing to do for one's self esteem. Hope you've taken something from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    The one that doesn't show remorse.If you want to get off taking the piss out of people who have made one bad decision and show regret for it that's your decision. Criminals come about in this society because people like you label them so. One act + remorse = not a criminal make leave the poor girl alone.

Although admittedly posting it on a public forum isn't the best thing to do for one's self esteem. Hope you've taken something from it.
    Is that meant to be directed at me?

ReputationRep:
    We're talking about disciplining kids here when they do something bad. If that makes me a Nazi - then definitely thousands of parents up and down the country. I'm not talking about her parents beating her black and blue or anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    She was shoplifting. If she gets beaten by her parents, then she deserves it no and she'll learn not to go around stealing from shops...
    shoplifting is a crime, and according to you, she deserves absolutely anything she gets.

OK well running a red light is also illegal. why not shoot each and every person who does. By your reqasoning, thats perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    We're talking about disciplining kids here when they do something bad. If that makes me a Nazi - then definitely thousands of parents up and down the country. I'm not talking about her parents beating her black and blue or anything...
    Well then beating really isn't the word you want to use because it does imply 'black and blue'.

ReputationRep:
    Most beatings aren't 'damaging'. Sure it'll hurt her for a while but its likely she won't be admitted into hospital and she'll probably learn that swearing at older women is wrong as well as stealing and embarassing her family...
    You are not really qualified to say how emotionally damaging it would be for the individual, and nor am I for that matter, but it is my belief that it could be extremely so, and thus, as she is so obviously very remorseful, such further treatment should most definitely be avoided.
    She is not a master-minded criminal, as people have already said. Yes, she did something terrible, and I by no means condone it, but it was one mistake that she clearly regrets, and has learnt from. I don't see what physically punishing her would achieve, accept to make her feel even worse and probably create problems between her and her parents, which could have the opposite effect of driving her towards making further mistakes in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    shoplifting is a crime, and according to you, she deserves absolutely anything she gets.

OK well running a red light is also illegal. why not shoot each and every person who does. By your reqasoning, thats perfectly fine
    #

how is shooting even close to being whacked once?! that's ridiculous and was not his reasoning at all. I think he's made a very pertinent comment about discipline. Generally, if children are properly disciplined at home they won't get into so much trouble in the real world (i say properly disciplined...that does not include beating a child so it leaves marks but for god sake what's wrong with a smack or two?!).

People try too hard to be PC these days and it's disgusting the way political correctness has replaced morality and upstanding values. The girl STOLE. That is WRONG. No two ways about it. Fair enough she was remorseful but a rapist could be remorseful and few would argue he needs punishing. And let's not forget that she's still 15, still legally a child and still under her parents' roof and therefore their rules. So why is she boo-hooing?

Violence is evil and horrible. But it doesn't sound like her father is violent with her, sounds like he just used a bit of physical discipline (which is different to violence, and certainly different to shooting!) Admittedly, the head is not the best place to direct a smack but if more children were spanked we'd have less hoodlums terrorising the country and stealing tacky press on nails.

Sheesh.

ReputationRep:
    dear dear

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that it's right to mock people who have made a mistake and are sorry, but I wouldn't say it's right for them to get sympathy either. They made the mistake in the first place, knowing fully what they were doing.

Criminals don't come about because people call them so, they come about because they steal things. I'm sure nobody was calling anybody a criminal before anything was stolen.

One criminal act + remorse = a criminal who is sorry

I'm sorry that it happened and I'm not trying to condone the person for what they did, but I don't think that it's right that if you do something wrong and then feel sorry about it afterwards then that's ok. I just hope the person has learnt from what they have done and doesn't do it again, that's when you're not a criminal.

ReputationRep:
    Well then beating really isn't the word you want to use because it does imply 'black and blue'.
    Really? I wouldn't so think so. I would have thought when most people understand that when say "beating" in this context it would mean the chastisement of a child and its also shorter than "chastisment".

Well said grace. Too many parents nowadays are scared to touch their kids in case they go to the police or social services claiming the ridiculous notion of "child abuse". Then what happens, she runs to the police, more taxpayers money wasted trying to prosecute these parents for daring to discipline their kids, they get locked up, she gets to live in a childrens home or with relatives and another happy home is broken up.

They used to do it at school for crying out loud - do we have a generation of emotionally damaged adults? But of course, things like this should be a family affair and the school or state should not be involved...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by erk)
    a) you were dumb going back and telling them about fake info
    b) you were even dumber to shop lift.

WHAT?!? Are you crazy? don't you think that they would be quiteangry when they searched and searched and couldn't find the place?

ReputationRep:
    Really? I wouldn't so think so. I would have thought when most people understand that when say "beating" in this context it would mean the chastisement of a child and its also shorter than "chastisment".

Well said grace. Too many parents nowadays are scared to touch their kids in case they go to the police or social services claiming the ridiculous notion of "child abuse". Then what happens, she runs to the police, more taxpayers money wasted trying to prosecute these parents for daring to discipline their kids, they get locked up, she gets to live in a childrens home or with relatives and another happy home is broken up.

They used to do it at school for crying out loud - do we have a generation of emotionally damaged adults? But of course, things like this should be a family affair and the school or state should not be involved...
    Take it to D&D, this is an advice thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
    ...my friends are going to church today to confess. I am really worried about how my dad will react, because before when i swore at some horrible women my dad found out and hit me round the head with his massive hands and gave me a headache for about 3 days and could have caused me brain damage. So hows he gonna react to this! im so scared
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Priceless. Are you even religious?

ReputationRep:

Oh great so I'm in a ****ing minority, but my dads doing it less and less, seeing as last time he came at me with a wooden spoon I just took it off him and threw it across the room........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rising_heat)
    Oh great so I'm in a ****ing minority, but my dads doing it less and less, seeing as last time he came at me with a wooden spoon I just took it off him and threw it across the room........
    Wooden spoon... LOL. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wooden spoon... LOL. :rolleyes:
    No no no, wooden spoon= Owww :bawling:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.