Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the same with most aspects of life, you get the idiots who can't see beyond what's been fed to them by their parents/friends, and consequently think others are better/worse than themselves. They generally aren't worth bothering with, unless you can change how they think.

ReputationRep:
    I think you learn more about life at a state school than at a private or grammer school. i have had people going up to me and asking me if people smoked in my school and when i said yes they could not believe it. private schools do not prepare you for the difficulties encountered in life. i have an excellent understanding of the more shadier aspects of life which would not be learnt in a private school. my school is possibly the worst in the area and people only send their child their as a last resort. i could have gone to a grammer school but chose to go to a mixed school as it allows you to socailise with both sexes. my sister has commented on how boys from private and grammer schools are different from people from state schools and she called the people she met at private schools weird. even from going to one of the worst schools in the country i have obtained 1a*, 7as, 1b and 1d. i have never doubted my choice of school

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=laurenlauren] but i chose to go to a state school as i felt it would be beneficial to learn how to teach myself. QUOTE]

seriously condescending.

you went to a state school on purpose in the belief that teaching would be so poor you would have to teach yourself!!!!!

at the age of 11!!!!!!!!!

claptrap

ReputationRep:
    but "life" away from school needn't be the same.

Public school kids will usually have a different life to staters, so patterns learned in education will likely continue through life.

ReputationRep:
    think you learn more about life at a state school than at a private or grammer school
    In what sense? drinking/smoking /drugs , meeting new people - what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    not being scarred when i see a large gang of people who look like they will mug someone because they know me and respect me. knowing who not to annoy. getting a first hand experience of what drink and drugs do to people. meeting loads of people who would not associate themselves with privately educated people. having confidence with the opposite sex which may be difficult in a single sex school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenlauren)
    i chose to go to a state school as i felt it would be beneficial to learn how to teach myself.
    are you saying that the teachers at state schools are so bad, you HAVE to teach yourself? this should not be spoken of as an ADVANTAGE of state schools. something has gone very wrong. there is room for independant learning at public schools.

(Original post by laurenlauren)
    a lot of parents send their children to private schools so that their children can be forced to work.
    very true. i think it's a shame that this is regarded as somewhat exclusive to private schools. ALL schools should 'force' children to work, and perhaps if they did, discipline and literacy wouldn't be so bad.

however i think you mean v.high acheiving, v.selective private schools where B's are not commonplace and are frowned upon. it was for this reason that my parents chose to send me to a small, non-selective independant school. i tend to put myself under enough pressure, and i don't need the school to as well. many successful private schools, such as Ampleforth, are non-selective. they manage to get quite a few students into oxbridge and medical school each year, and yet there is quite a wide range of ability. i think this is proof that independant schools don't just acheive good results because they 'cherry pick' the brightest students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudgetherabbit)
    I think you learn more about life at a state school than at a private or grammer school.
    i really hate the assumption that you nothing about real life unless you come from a gritty, deprived, drug-crazed background. if learning about life is going to a school where people take hard drugs in the toilets, have sex at thirteen and get pregnant, carry knives etc etc. - then no thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    i really hate the assumption that you nothing about real life unless you come from a gritty, deprived, drug-crazed background. if learning about life is going to a school where people take hard drugs in the toilets, have sex at thirteen and get pregnant, carry knives etc etc. - then no thanks!
    A little dramatised but good point.

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a view by some people that at public schools and grammar schools there are no drink or drug problems. I can only speak from one side but from what I have seen there are more drugs and more people using them as they have more disposable income. Obviously there is less of an 'outward' drug problem as most people can afford the drugs and dont need to steal to fund their habit/buy cheap low quality and potentially dangerous drugs.

My school isn't reknowned for having a drug problem but there is a good proportion of 'soft' drug users. Other public schools nearby (one in particular) is well known as a school where many of the students use drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Public school pupils stop complaining and just go and ask mummy and daddy for some more money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PEDR)
    Public school pupils stop complaining and just go and ask mummy and daddy for some more money
    I think that is a little bit unfair. My parents do help me out for stuff sometimes, but I still work to earn money to get what I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PEDR)
    I think nearly all students are subsidised to some extent by their parents or guardians so that comment is lacking in thought.

ReputationRep:
    (I'm state school btw) I think private school pupils get a lot of insults etc. from people who have a stereotype in mind, and perhaps resent the benefits and opportunities those who have gone to an independent school have. I think that's unfair personally.

ReputationRep:
    A little dramatised but good point.
    yeah a little er dramatized. i thought you were being serious as that is pretty normal at my school. much worse things have happened. that sort of stuff is not particularly shocking. it is not an assumption about private schools i have experienced first hand how unaware of the real world they are.

although if i went to private school my grades would have most probably been straight A* as i got virtually straight As with little help from teachers and most was self taught.

ReputationRep:
    hiya lass, ive went to state schools all of my life and they havent done me any harm, and im defonatly not jealous of people who go to private schools because they are no different to you or me apart from the fact that they pay for thir education.
    Dont worry about anything!!

ReputationRep:
    I told the head boy of Manchester Grammar School that his first 5 A*s were "on the house".

That didn't go down too well.

ReputationRep:
    well czech people consider my school is the *worst* possible school i can go to :rolleyes: it's british, public (there's a common misconception that only people who can't get into state schools would go there..and it works for czech public schools which are really crappy...however i went to a *top* czech state school before and can honestly say that my current school is FAR better) and with the most expensive tuition fees in the republic (about 15,000 euro per annum but i was lucky enough to get a full scholarship ) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unpossible)
    I told the head boy of Manchester Grammar School that his first 5 A*s were "on the house".

That didn't go down too well.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Surely a grammar school IS a state school...

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.