Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Surely a grammar school IS a state school...
    In most cases, yes, grammar schools are selective state schools, but I think Manchester Grammar School is actually a private school, just to confuse everyone :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    In most cases, yes, grammar schools are selective state schools, but I think Manchester Grammar School is actually a private school, just to confuse everyone :rolleyes:
    There are couple of other grammars who are private as well, such as Latymer.

ReputationRep:
    not being scarred when i see a large gang of people who look like they will mug someone because they know me and respect me. knowing who not to annoy. getting a first hand experience of what drink and drugs do to people. meeting loads of people who would not associate themselves with privately educated people. having confidence with the opposite sex which may be difficult in a single sex school.

Some of the naivety shown in this thread is rather shocking. Private schools are not a place where parents send their children to conceal them from the "real world". If some of you honestly think that we don't have a clue what to expect if, then you're far more naive than us.

I go to a mixed private school in Edinburgh. It's top of the league tables in the Scottish education system when it comes to mixed schools, and you'd probably expect us to be all prim and proper. No. That's absolute and utter crap. Most people in my school, like the many other private schools in Edinburgh, have all been drinking and taking drugs from their early teens. We don't live on the school campus, you know. Do you honestly believe that private school pupils don't realise that there are some people who would kick their heads in because of their uniform? Furthermore, do you think that we don't receive slander? We're only confined to the school campus from 8:35am - 3:15am. Plenty of time to venture into the "real world", my friend.

In answer to the original question, yes, you might receive sh*t because of where you went, depending on which university you go to. However, you'd be worse off if you didn't go to university yet went to a private school.

ReputationRep:
    Why is drinking and taking drugs a mark of the real world?

Surely there are other um, 'activities' to indicate reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Jo-x)
    Why is drinking and taking drugs a mark of the real world?

Surely there are other um, 'activities' to indicate reality?
    Hah. Yes, of course there are. But that's what seemed to constitute as 'real' in that persons view.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* I suppose it's 'cool'.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* I suppose it's 'cool'.
    I'd say it's rather 'pathetic' in most cases, personally, I was just stating that private school pupils are not exactly abnormal.

ReputationRep:
    So by drinking and taking drugs you are normal?

ReputationRep:
    So by drinking and taking drugs you are normal?
    You have mastered the art of misreading.

I mean that as with state schools, a disturbingly high proportion of people are binge drinking regularly and taking drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

It's great for exams. (The binge-drinking, drugs AND knack of misreading.)

ReputationRep:
    this is the problem when discussing the private/state debate.

This whole idea about being made to work; no sense of the real world; daddy pays for everything is utter RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!! And as for the drugs/drinking problems, the private schools near me have all got serious drinking/taking drugs problems. Im not making this up as I have friends at many of these schools. I wonder how many of you saw the report that some of the top private schools (Eton, Rugby, Harrow, even Cheltenham Ladies) were reported to have very unhappy atmospheres, lack of support, lack or morals etc.

I would go on but I feel I may say something I shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    Unless one has actually experienced that these private schools do have an 'unhappy atmosphere, lack of support, lack of morals etc' then I don't think one can really comment.

ReputationRep:
    what I meant was that in this report that was by Ofsted, as in the government organisation. It was what found by talking to the actual pupils there plus talking to the staff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickytoria77)
    what I meant was that in this report that was by Ofsted, as in the government organisation. It was what found by talking to the actual pupils there plus talking to the staff!
    Whatever ofted say is pretty irrelevant as they only inspect the academic/extra-curricula side of boarding schools. There is a whole different organisation CSCI 9commision for social care inspection) who deal with pastoral issues, and reading their report of my school (an old public boarding school-one you mention infact!) there was no mention of alcohol/drugs problems, low moral, unhappy atmospheres. Infact, i would say 95% of my year absolutely love boarding and find it a real laugh.

ReputationRep:
    i went to state school, but in yr 11 i won a scholarship to a boarding school, the people there obviously had a more privileged and more intensive academic lifestyle yet i would say they were still in touch with the real world as much as we are now.

ReputationRep:
    The town that I live in has a mixture of state, grammar and private schools and I can honestly say that there is no discernable difference between the students from each school.

Oh, you can spot the privates because of their loafers and unbrushed hair, and the grammars (moi) tend to be weighed down with folders and manuals, but as soon as there's a social, everyone's at the same bar, dancing to the same music.

Yes, there are differences: at the grammars we're expected to work harder and faster, but this is true of one of the privates, too, while another private has worse results than the state schools and actually, one of the state 6th form colleges has better results than all of the private schools. But we're all just teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unpossible)
    I told the head boy of Manchester Grammar School that his first 5 A*s were "on the house".

That didn't go down too well.
    He is a very nice boy! MGS is a private school but there are also many other private grammar schools around Manchester as well.
    I agree that people seem to have some common misconception about private schools in that we are not with the "real world" and I would agree that thats not necessarily true in all cases. Although I would have to say that there is an element of a 'bubble' surrounding people that go to a private school, but that could be for so many various reasons like the general social circles you would end up mixing with etc. So really I wouldn't say that my school has kept me hidden from the binge drinking/teenage pregnancies/hard drug scene but more my general way of life and me as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudgetherabbit)
    I think you learn more about life at a state school than at a private or grammer school. i have had people going up to me and asking me if people smoked in my school and when i said yes they could not believe it. private schools do not prepare you for the difficulties encountered in life.
    Eh? Smoking is a mark of life, maturity? Not all schools are the same y'know. My school had many people who smoked, not anything unusual. I don't see how state schools prepare you any better. In fact, one could argue that private schools can afford to spend more on pastoral care to help pupils deal with life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudgetherabbit)
    not being scarred when i see a large gang of people who look like they will mug someone because they know me and respect me. knowing who not to annoy. getting a first hand experience of what drink and drugs do to people. meeting loads of people who would not associate themselves with privately educated people. having confidence with the opposite sex which may be difficult in a single sex school.
    Surely any sensible person would be cautious if approached by a gang that would appear to pose a threat? How does this apply just to those at private schools? Are you saying it's a good thing to hang around with people who look like they'd mug others? Why is this? Drink and drugs are common with all teenagers, if not more at certain private schools because mostly, the children are very well off and can afford to buy more. People who would not associate with others just because of the school they go to sound too narrow minded for my liking. Single sex is not related to private schools - some are mixed, some are not just as at state schools.

ReputationRep:
    i went to a school which was in the bottom 20 of the UKs rankings. Only about 2 people will get 5 Cs or more, it was packed with chavs and there was at least a fairly big fight per month. I then went to a crap college which is also poor; bottom 35 of the country averaging EUU per student at a level. There was no violence there but still full of chavs. I then went to an independent college ~ college. I can say i learn way more in terms of how to tackle encounters in life at the private school.

Before i used to sort my differences out with knocking the chavs out, now i can just ignore the fools. I suppose, arguably state schools are good for how people should deal with chavs at a secondary school level, but when you get older, grammer schools and private schools are better imo. Plenty of people do drugs/get pissed out of their minds at private schools and grammer schools just as much as secondary schools, it's probably better if a kid goes to a school where taking pills or injecting scag doesn't occur. I would agree, there are some private schools where peeps don't smoke or drink heavily, i don't see how that effects the student in future life, it's probably better that way.

Anyways, it's a lil hard for some of the posts in this thread to be valid as it sounds like 1 or 2 of you haven't actually been to a private school. I have been to both a crappy/rough state school, local college and an independent college.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.