Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Has anyone else rented a house from CBS Lettings?

I've been trying since I moved out in August to get my deposit back (£500). I know the CBS lettings office has been moved/closed and their head office has also shifted. The two company directors are useless (Emailed me saying "I own the company but can't help you with your problem!" :mad:

I also know that some of their properties were put into administration in Loughborough (but not all of them). Plus tried calling (no one picks up), emailing and writing.

Any ideas on how to progress?

ReputationRep:
    Go through the Accommodation office?

ReputationRep:
    Heyy I'm in a CBS house now. I heard from my old housemate that Rami (the guy who dealt with the deposits, contracts, etc) lost a load of paperwork and was apparently sacked. Another girl who used to live here a year ago is still waiting for the rest of her deposit.

Unfortunately I didn't get the new guys phone number before the other housemates moved out so I'm sorry that I can't help you there. I would have thought that he would have introduced himself or something by now as I have a few issues with the house and stuff. If he does finally call round or something I'll get his mobile number for you and PM you it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks JennyJen for the extra info and offer of getting the number. I knew Rami left but didn't know it was over lost paperwork. (He just told so many lies saying he'd get me my deposit in cash on the day I left)

It seems like they're just messing everyone about. A director contacted me at the weekend saying he could pay in cash. Then emailed after saying he could only do it by bank transfer (accountancy tracing purposes). I know they have my details somewhere cause I got a text from them saying I'd get my dit back in September! I've had to forward my bank details to them again (the last time I gave it them it, didn't get any money) so fingers crossed I get it all back in time for xmas. Will have to remember to think twice on rent offers that seem too good to be true.

Is it any serious issues with your house? I know they have a repair guy called Jay who usually sorted out our problems within a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Jay seems to be more easily accessible than anyone else but he's still not completely reliable (my old housemate locked herself out of her room and Jay said he'd pop round within the hour to let her in. The next morning, still no Jay - it was Rami who eventually came round!).

The main issues with the house is the boiler never works properly! Even when I finally get it to stay on, it conks out in a couple of hours and this house does not retain any heat. I'm sat here shivering it's so cold - I'm usually sat in bed to keep me warm. The other main issue is a few months ago (before I came to visit the house before summer holidays) the patio window was cracked from a stone hitting it and Jay said it would be fixed before I moved in. It wasn't fixed, he then said that he's got the money to replace it when I did move in - it's still not fixed and the window has cracked so much that there's now holes in the outer layer of the window.

I hope you get your deposit back soon!

ReputationRep:
    you won't be getting your money back

ReputationRep:
    JennyJen, I reckon CBS Lettings are probably close to broke now as a company. So I wouldn't hold out hope for them fixing stuff for your house, but hope you find a solution.

The directors of CBS promised me the deposit money by Monday (yesterday). But now they are trying to fob me off saying it'll be in soon. I got a text saying they're waiting for cash to reach them. (Sorting out their cash problems take them months but they couldn't tell me any of this obviously).

Hope you don'y have the problems I've had getting your own deposit back when you move out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    Have you thought about taking legal action?
    Did you sign a contract? It should say on there when the deposit will be given back.
    That's ridiculous that it's November 17th and you've still not had your deposit back.
    It's usually within 6-8 weeks of moving out that you get it back.
    Hey Rosaaa,

Yeah I already considered legal action. I consulted our family solicitor for advice a while back. But CBS Lettings are refusing to say where their new head office has moved to (convenient). I can't take action without a proper address. Plus they already have properties in administration. So legal action probably won't make that much difference if they literally have no money. I know it ridiculous! And the fact one of the directors got really mad I kept sending messages and calling, made me want so angry. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Still nothing. Although finally had contact I am meant to be getting it before christmas. "I will personally make sure of it" (Liam Collins of BGT, Faces of Disco). Waiting to see if anything materialises before next week. They have an investors office though in Covent Garden, maybe if I pay a visit, I might get somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    i think the posts are a tad unfair if im honest, if what this guy says is true and they have gone into administration maybe we should give them a chance. My only basis for this is that i have in fact had my deposit returned and the after sales team were very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotpot10)
    i'm just goin into my second year at loughborough, and its my second year with cbs, not really sure what these posts are about though ? i've been completely satisfied with their service.

oh and i've had my deposit back too, looks to me like the majority of the people posting on here have just been unlucky .
    Hotpot10 are you currently living in a CBS house in loughborough? Your post is contradictory. If its your second year with CBS then how would you have had your deposit back? Deposits are only returned when you move out.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as bitter :o: In all fairness, I had limited minor problems while I lived in their property. I just feel like they handled it really badly. Having someone text you saying you'll get it back, giving them your banking details and then hearing nothing is not on.

I wouldn't be annoyed if someone had contacted with information or to give me a date for getting it back.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, epic fail attempt at trying to save face CBS. I hope you get outed as the worst kind of company for not only :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: around with a tenant, but then doing a terrible job of shilling people here to save face. That method will bite you in the arse, everytime.

ReputationRep:
    I would be interested to hear if Crazyangel ever got her deposit back and from any students who had further dealings with CBS Lettings.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2012
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.