Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Damn just noticed the Letts Guide didnt have anything on this.....I just noticed just that I do remember some things on it but what kind of points shud I remember on this as also I have noticed these Qs on Past Papers......

Please Help....as I am trying to finalise what I am certain on and what not.....

Cheerz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond007)
    Damn just noticed the Letts Guide didnt have anything on this.....I just noticed just that I do remember some things on it but what kind of points shud I remember on this as also I have noticed these Qs on Past Papers......

Please Help....as I am trying to finalise what I am certain on and what not.....

Cheerz
    you make them by boiling a halogenoalkane in dry ether (ethoxyethane) under reflux and adding Mg.

they react with water to give an alkane... thats quite a useless reaction, but it has come up before.
    there are 4 main reactions and you always follow with dilute HCl.
    react with:
    -carbon dioxide to give carboxylic acid
    -methanal to give secondary alcohol
    -aldehyde (not methanal) to give secondary alcohol
    -ketone to give tertiary alcohol
    the reactions themselves arent that confusing, it's easy to work out what goes where as long as you know what the product is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjoc28)
    you make them by boiling a halogenoalkane in dry ether (ethoxyethane) under reflux and adding Mg.
    sorry i got that wrong. the reaction is very exothermic, so you have it in a reflux condenser, but you don't heat it.
    just have the halogenoalkane in dry diethylether in the round bottom flask and the magnesium.

(if it doesnt start, then a single crytal of iodine is added as a catalyst)

ReputationRep:
    form it.. add magnesium, trace of iodin.. dry conditions.. heat under refulx thats how you form it

g.r. react by nucleophilic addition in general..

lol err.. i g2g to skool now for my exam

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.