The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway - Request for a portfolio of writing, help! [creative writing]

Hi,
I got an email earlier today from Royal Holloway, requesting a portfolio of writing from me to "further my application" - they don't specify if this has to be a mix of genres, i.e a collection of poems and an extract of prose, only that it can be no longer than 4 A4 sides.

Poetry's my strength so I'm inclined to send them my best poems, but then I'm worried about not seeming diverse enough - advice? Also, although it's obviously better to get it back to them sooner rather than later, will they say discard my application if I take too long, is there a cut-off time?

Heelp!
Ohhh god, I'm applying for the same course which I'm guessing means i'll have to supply a portfolio as well. If I was in your position I would send 2/3 of your best poems and maybe a piece of prose just to balance it out. That way you're showing your best poetry but not being type casted as only a poet. Also, I doubt they'd discard you're application but sooner is better than later :smile:
Reply 2
Thaanks, I submitted 3 poems and two short pieces of prose in the end, submitted about a week after they emailed me first asking about it, and got an offer through within the next week for AAB - good luck if you get a request for portfolio and maybe even see you there in September! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by imnotlulamae
Thaanks, I submitted 3 poems and two short pieces of prose in the end, submitted about a week after they emailed me first asking about it, and got an offer through within the next week for AAB - good luck if you get a request for portfolio and maybe even see you there in September! :smile:

Hiya!! I'm applying to the same course for 2015, and I'm really struggling with the portfolio aspect of the application. Do you reckon I'd be able to see yours for an idea of what to do? Please let me know asap :smile::redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending