Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok i decided before my exam this afternoon it would be a good idea to do a kinda laid back mock

Unfort i have just discovered i don't have the mark scheme

There are some things i KNOW i know - i'm just doing it to see what i don't

But i would really appreciate somebody who has done this properly checking some answers for me

a) Proper reason for why is iron a transition metal?
    I've put that It has an incomplete d-subshell but it's two marking points so there must be something else?

b) if you have a complex around the Fe2+ and you add O2 and an H2O is replaced by the O2 that's ligand exchange right?

c) Hydrolysis of nylon
    Refulux with concentrated hydrochloric acid? That was my instant reaction but i'm not sure. It's basically the hydrolysis of a peptide bond

d) Forming an ether from an acyl chloride and an atom with a hydroxy group. What are the reaction conditions?
    I know for alcohol and carboxylic acid it's refluxing and acid and all that jazz
    But for acyl chlorides i remember something about it has to be anhydrous and possibly at room temperature?

e) What's the actual definition of a feature that makes a carbon atom chiral?
    Is it that it is bonded to four groups or bonded to four different groups?

f) How the three dots do i work out a co-ordination number in a complex with ligands?
    I kinda figured maybe like oxidation numbers the number of things it's bonded to but meh i'm not sure

g) And speaking of ligands how do i draw a complex??

h) Oh and one more ligand - what's a hexadente ligand? Is it one that can form multiple bonds? There's 2 marks so it must be more than that

i) Would NH3 displace OH in a complex with Copper 2+? Why?

Thanks very much to anybody who answers!!!

ReputationRep:
    g) see pic
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    h) i think its a ligand that makes 6 with a tm ion

ReputationRep:
    a) iron is a transistion metal because Fe2+ and Fe3+ have partially filled d orbitals.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the replies

ReputationRep:
    yeh also transition metals have more than one oxidation states and as ion also has 2 then it is a transition metal...

ReputationRep:
    and hey mackin boi wudnt u have to draw it 3d...well the striped lines coming from the metal ions.......just a suggestion...

ReputationRep:
    yea soz u wud...dotted lines at back and balck triangles at front

ReputationRep:
    c) Hydrolysis of nylon
    Refulux with concentrated hydrochloric acid? That was my instant reaction but i'm not sure. It's basically the hydrolysis of a peptide bond
    correct. it is boiled under reflux wiht a conc acid or conc base.

h) Oh and one more ligand - what's a hexadente ligand? Is it one that can form multiple bonds? There's 2 marks so it must be more than that
    a hexadentate ligand is one that can form SIX bonds with a central ion.
    also, not that a bidentate ligand can form 2 bonds with a central ion.
    so from there its logical to say a monodentate ligand can form 1 bond etc etc
    POLYdentate legands can form MULTIPLE bonds with a central ion..

i) Would NH3 displace OH in a complex with Copper 2+? Why?
    i answered the same question here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...06&postcount=5

e) What's the actual definition of a feature that makes a carbon atom chiral?
    Is it that it is bonded to four groups or bonded to four different groups?
    A chiral carbon atom is bonded to 4 different groups. It is said to be optically active as it has optical isomers. a mixture of a solution containing both isomers is called a racemic mixture. A racemic mixture can rotate plane polarised light.

a) Proper reason for why is iron a transition metal?
    I've put that It has an incomplete d-subshell but it's two marking points so there must be something else?
    definition: a transition metal is one which can form a metal ion with a partially filled d-subshell.
    why partially filled d-subshell? so that d-d electron transition can occur an dions exhibit colours. (definition for a transition element is based on it's unique ability ot produce colour)

if you have a complex around the Fe2+ and you add O2 and an H2O is replaced by the O2 that's ligand exchange right?
    yes, an example of this is in haemoglobin in our blood. A CO ligand is IRREVERSIBLE, because the bond is too strong(high bond energy). a h20 or 02 ligand can be reversed easily at the lungs to carry oxygen throughout the body.

hope all this helped! good luck!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.