Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have some Mg ribbon and am wondering if there is anything fun , I can do with it? ANy creative suggestions would be welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    I have some Mg ribbon and am wondering if there is anything fun , I can do with it? ANy creative suggestions would be welcome.
    burn it !! it gives off a bright light!!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig)
    burn it !! it gives off a bright light!!
    lol
    lol yeah....just dont stare at the light :p: i did and fell off the stool in science hehe!!!! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammy_girl)
    lol yeah....just dont stare at the light :p: i did and fell off the stool in science hehe!!!! xoxo

lol!!! thats funny
    bet u didnt try that again, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig)
    lol!!! thats funny
    bet u didnt try that again, lol
    lol i did actually....i thought it was hilarious myself.....bit of my hair burnt and everything lol!!!!! my science teacher was in stitches laughing his head off lets just say i still havent lived it down haha!!!! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    yes i know you burn it ans you shouldnt look at it becasue it burns your retina hence eventally blinding you, i was hoping for some ingenious uses for it though

ReputationRep:
    I used to love that stuff. I remember in yr 7, first experiment we ever did was with good old Mg ribbon. Fascinated me

ReputationRep:
    if you have very lonhg strips of it then you ca nscare people on the street. light it behind someone walking along and they'll thin k they are being chased by a flame,

"argh the scare!! its a goblin or something! argh"

or somehting like that

kk not so ingenious but come-on, Mg ribbon aint too much fun except to burn and we've all done that in school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    yes i know you burn it ans you shouldnt look at it becasue it burns your retina hence eventally blinding you, i was hoping for some ingenious uses for it though
    When I was on holiday once I saw a game where two people tried to down alcohol whilst a peice of toilet paper was stuck in their cheeks and then burnt.

Not a nice game, but it's an idea. Magnesium would certainly up the ante a bit. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    if you have very lonhg strips of it then you ca nscare people on the street. light it behind someone walking along and they'll thin k they are being chased by a flame,

"argh the scare!! its a goblin or something! argh"

or somehting like that

kk not so ingenious but come-on, Mg ribbon aint too much fun except to burn and we've all done that in school.
    ive got about 10 rolls of the stuff (l;ifted it from the science prep room), but sadly that wouldnt work as it burns quite slowly, and will go out at any given oppertunity

ReputationRep:
    If there's anyway you can get a reasonably concentrated acid, maybe heat off some of the water in vinegar, then you can get a nice fizzy reaction going :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.