The Student Room Group

Student fee status + ILR?

So, I will have my ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain aka permanent visa)by the time I apply for university. However I am wondering whether I will be classified as an intl student or domestic student.

This is the criteria for domestic student:

CATEGORY 1:
Those who are 'settled' in the UK and meet the main residence requirements. In order to qualify for ‘home’ fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) you must be 'settled' in the UK on the 'first day of the first academic year of the course',

AND you must be ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK on the ‘first day of the first academic year of the course’,

AND you must also have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK and Islands (the Islands means the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for the full three year period before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course'. For example, if your course begins in October 2009, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2006 to 31 August 2009,

AND

(d) the main purpose for your residence in the UK and islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of that three-year period.
----------------------------------------
I am definite that I will meet the first 3 requirements but I am not sure about the last.

I am in the UK 'officially' as a student because I have a student visa BUT I would not be here if my mother wasn't here. My mother is currently here on a Work Permit. (mother and father currently separated but not officially divorced, father living in home country).

I am technically her dependent becuase I live with her, she is my parent, she looks after me etc... but for some (stupid) reason, I did not apply with her as an official dependent. Being an 'official' dependent will prove that my main purpose of residence in the UK would not have been to receive full-time education as I would return home if my mother stopped working here. I couldn't live with my father as he's too busy to look after me.

So I really don't know what will happen, I am not my mother's OFFICIAL dependent but I am technically her dependent. If she stopped working here, I would go home with her. The main purpose of our emigration was because of her work not my education. But there is NO WAY of proving this becuase I have a student visa which would naturally suggest that my main purpose of residence would be for education.

I would seriously doubt that anyone else here has gone through a situation like me but what would be the best thing to do here?
Reply 1
Oh and BTW ILR is Indefinate Leave To Remain which allows someone to work, live in uk without any restrictions on the length of their residence.
Having ILR allows you to have Settled status in the UK and thus this satisfies requirement 1
Reply 2
Hi Ough789... I know this has been ages since you posted, but did you find out an answer to your question? i am in a similar position and would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!
Reply 3
Hey I am just wondering if you would know anything on this : I received my ILR (Settlement Status to stay in the UK) in November 2016 and I will be starting Uni in September 2017. I am not sure and worried whether I will recieve student finance as it says "Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course."

Quick Reply

Latest