Turn on thread page Beta

exceeding predicted grades watch

ReputationRep:
    OK sorry to be really dumb, but I've found the DfES website (http://www.dfes.gov.uk/performanceta...hools_04.shtml) and my school statistics, but how do I find the adjustment GCSE score?
    The nearest statistic to it that I can see is the Average total point score per 15 year old, but this comes to over 300!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiral)
    OK sorry to be really dumb, but I've found the DfES website (http://www.dfes.gov.uk/performanceta...hools_04.shtml) and my school statistics, but how do I find the adjustment GCSE score?
    The nearest statistic to it that I can see is the Average total point score per 15 year old, but this comes to over 300!
    Yes, it's dull, isn't it? The DfES have changed the scoring method. If I have time, I'll try and work out how it converts, but I'm supposed to be working at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Yes, it's dull, isn't it? The DfES have changed the scoring method. If I have time, I'll try and work out how it converts, but I'm supposed to be working at the moment.
    Oh they've changed it, just great :rolleyes: . Don't worry I was just curious to see how "good" my school was.

ReputationRep:
    Are you denying that they rank incoming students by their GCSE and AS scores? That by the time you get to interview, you're already in a hierarchy?
    No, but GCSE and AS scores are ranked separately, with AS obviously being more important than GCSE grades. The latter are indicative of future academic performance, but they are less useful overall and the fact that a student's strengths may lie in one given area is taken into account. I never said that "weak GCSE scores with no good explanation" would not make a difference to the application, I meant that GCSE scores alone are not enough to determine whether an application will be successful or not. Your post implied that they were far more important than we - and indeed the students at the open days I've helped at - have been led to believe, and that a "good" reason would be needed when I'm not so sure this is always the case if performance is markedly improved at sixth-form.

Each aspect of an application is given a mark out of ten, so in that respect it is clear who the strongest candidates are, but nothing as firm as a hierarchy is forumlated before the interview. They try to be open minded about it.

I'm not point scoring, I'm just asking you not to be quite so negative. GCSEs are probably the least important aspect of an application and it's recognised that a lot can change between GCSE and A2 so no-one should be afraid of applying because of their GCSE results. As you do go on to say, it's only one place on the UCAS form so it's ALWAYS worth a shot if you're serious about Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    Each aspect of an application is given a mark out of ten
    It said on the Cambridge website that there is no cap on the amount of GCSEs that can count towards your point score, ie all your A*s and As are counted. So what happens if someone applies with say 11 A*s? They can't get 11/10, so do they just get 10? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    They can't get 11/10, so do they just get 10? :confused:
    Interview marks are scored out of 10, other marks are not necessarily limited to 10. There is no limit to the GCSE score - it could be 15.

There are typically three interview scores (0-10), GCSE scores, AS and A2 scores and internal test (or BMAT) scores. I don't think they just add up the individual scores for a total. I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

ReputationRep:
    Interview marks are scored out of 10, other marks are not necessarily limited to 10. There is no limit to the GCSE score - it could be 15.

There are typically three interview scores (0-10), GCSE scores, AS and A2 scores and internal test (or BMAT) scores. I don't think they just add up the individual scores for a total. I think it's a bit more complicated than that.
    Aaaah right OK, so they might put more emphasis on certain parts of the process, eg interviews, rather than simply adding them all up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Aaaah right OK, so they might put more emphasis on certain parts of the process, eg interviews, rather than simply adding them all up.
    To be honest, different departments do things differentely and no-one on here is going to tell you the same thing! I know the biochemistry department rank you before interviews and then after interviews you just move up or down, so they give things equal weighting, but that's just what they do.

The best piece of advice any of us can really give is:

1. Do you have reasonable GCSE grades (mainly A*'s/A's, which should be in any subjects relevant to your chosen degree, with perhaps a couple of B's)?
    2. Did you get AAAA/AAAB/AABB in your AS' and are predicted a minimum of AAA at A2? (you could still try with AAB but it might depend on your circumstances)
    3. Do you have a real passion for your subject? Are you enthusiastic?
    4. Do you have any work experience? (only relevant for some courses like vet/medical etc)

If the answers are yes then what have you got to lose by applying? It's only one place out of 6 you chose on your application form and as long as some of your other choices are realistic you'll be fine! Just don't build your hopes up...it's far better to get a nice suprise when you do get an offer than be gutted when you get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    According to my GCSE's I'm predicted C/D (Minimum Expected Grade) but in January I got AAA (Core 1, Discrete 1 and a Computing module) and my teachers are expecting overall A's now, so if it will affect anyone it will probably be me

But there's no point in worrying over things like these since you cannot actually change them, if you're capable of Cambridge/Oxford you'll probably get in.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i was predicted 29-32 and thus I could only apply to "middle" Universities. However now I received 36 points (which means I actually could have gone to Warwick which I really like) but as I was predicted so low, I chose City University...

Is there any way I can get out of the "contract" with City University now? Can I do anything else except applying next year to Warwick???

I'm quiet mad at my teachers btw!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas_Poland)
    Is there any way I can get out of the "contract" with City University now?
    Yes, you can ask them to release you to Clearing. You'd also have to withdraw your insurance offer (ideally do so before contacting City). If City agree, and they're very likely to, then you can apply directly to other universities straight away. They'd be taking you through Clearing, so you'd have to give them your CAF form.

Note: City have no obligation to release you, so you should ask them very nicely. Don't say it's because you've got better grades (that's hardly going to endear you to them), but because you prefer a different course. remember that you'd have been upset if they'd told you that they'd changed their mind about their offer grades to you.

You can contact admissions officers now, but they're unlikely to give you an offer until they know the position on their own offers. They're commnitted to take everyone who makes the grades, so they're very likely to wait until August 18th unless they know they already have a shortfall. That's very unlikely at places like Warwick.

BTW just because you have AAA (or equivalent IB) does not mean that somewhere like Warwick will necessarily make you an offer. They turn away some people with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    JUST TO CLARIFY AGAIN, sorry to repeat this,
    cambridge does ask for all module marks in AS
    oxford doesnt require anything but grade and predicted grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouge)
    oxford doesnt require anything but grade and predicted grade
    Not entirely true. Oxford does NOT send any forms out like Cams, but I know of many people across a range of subjects that HAVE been asked for their UMS marks at interview time.

ReputationRep:
    these posts are always the same things - ive been there wanting to know all about oxford - wondering whether my grades are good enuff - but i have just decided that theres no point in wondering too much cos i mit not even get in. just do ur exams - go for interview - wait for letter - end of. then if u dont get in - so what - to be honest im not sure if i even wanna go to oxford now - i did find the college i went to rather cold in feeling. i would rather go to durham really - then if i dont get in there i think it will have to be york.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan750)
    these posts are always the same things - ive been there wanting to know all about oxford - wondering whether my grades are good enuff - but i have just decided that theres no point in wondering too much cos i mit not even get in. just do ur exams - go for interview - wait for letter - end of. then if u dont get in - so what - to be honest im not sure if i even wanna go to oxford now - i did find the college i went to rather cold in feeling. i would rather go to durham really - then if i dont get in there i think it will have to be york.
    which college was that, Ryan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan750)
    to be honest im not sure if i even wanna go to oxford now - i did find the college i went to rather cold in feeling. i would rather go to durham really - then if i dont get in there i think it will have to be york.
    I felt like that the first time I went to Oxford. Lots of the other potential applicants seemed to be on the offensive and no one was too enthusiastic. I want to go to university to work, but I didn't see what the point of going there was if no one could even act like they were having fun. It could have just been that everyone was tired and had a long day/journey, though. Anyway, I went back another time to a different college and there was a completely different atmosphere (in fact, I then found quite a few colleges and they were all really friendly). I couldn't believe it! It was brilliant . If you're interested in Oxford, give it another go. I'm not there yet (have to make my offer) but from my experience, the difference in the colleges is so considerable that you can't just visit one of them and base all opinions on it. Durham and York are both fantastic, too. Everywhere is different, so I hope you find somewhere you feel happy and comfortable. Another of my friends found the same as you, but at Cambridge, and decided to go to Durham instead. She loves it there!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.