Turn on thread page Beta

Catered in First Year? watch

ReputationRep:
    After seeing this:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Go catered for the first year! :cool:
    in another thread, I wondered if I should?

Has anyone gone self-catered and regretted it? Or vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    I was self-catered in my first year and I didn't regret it, better to have the freedom to eat what you want, when you want. But some people would rather have it done for them, which is understandable.

Depends if you mind what you eat really - if there's a lot of stuff that you don't like, fussy, vegetarian or stuff that you can't have then it's probably wiser to go for self-catered.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never go catered, but then I'm a fussy vegetarian and I know how to cook anyway. I've heard that at most unis the food is not really that healthy if you go catered (or maybe there are some healthy options like brocoli bake, but you'd always choose the pizza and chips instead )... anyway, if you go catered in first year you'll still have to learn how to cook in second year... may as well learn how to cook in first year. (plus it's cheaper unless you go and buy ready made meals for the microwave all the time)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going self-catered. But then again all the halls at cardiff (bar one) are self catering

ReputationRep:
    Oh, ick. Six years of catered food have been more than enough, for me! Although, I'm saying this but if I don't get into my first choice of halls, I'll have to go catered. Isn't going catered more expensive, though?

ReputationRep:
    I would go catered too. What kind of food do they have for catered halls? I would learn how to cook in my second year instead. :p:

(Original post by Jandarini)
    Oh, ick. Six years of catered food have been more than enough, for me! Although, I'm saying this but if I don't get into my first choice of halls, I'll have to go catered. Isn't going catered more expensive, though?
    Yes, it will be more expensive if you are in catered halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Yes, it will be more expensive if you are in catered halls.
    But you will save money on buying food to cook, so it's really 6/2x3

ReputationRep:
    i decided to go catered for my first year. I thought it would ease me into univeristy life easier, rather than worrying about food and cooking. Also i could have a year of managing a budget, where if i do run out of money i still have food to eat. There are some disadvantages to this however, for example i'm going to have to get up at certain times for breakfast, unless i miss it, at which point i'm paying for food i'm not eating. I'm going to try and pick the healthy options as much as possible. xx

ReputationRep:
    I went catered in the first year of my first degree - waste of time! The food is rank, so you usually have to go out and buy something else to eat and therefore pay twice!

If you're not a fussy eater and will eat anything, then, year catered is good. If you don't like eating the same menu week in week out, don't do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Want a bet
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I was self-catered in my first year and wouldn't have had it any other way. I didn't want to have someone else dictating what I ate and when so it suited me perfectly. And sure, I'm pretty lazy so meals often consisted of cheese on toast or something, but that's part of the fun
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    I was self-catered in my first year and wouldn't have had it any other way. I didn't want to have someone else dictating what I ate and when so it suited me perfectly. And sure, I'm pretty lazy so meals often consisted of cheese on toast or something, but that's part of the fun
    Jenn xx
    I'm planning going to be catered in the three years, not sure if it would be a good idea. :confused: Do they actually give you the same type of food everyday and stuff (e.g. on wednesday is fish and chips, and therefore every wednesday is fish and chips)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely going self-catered for the whole of my degree because I'm a really fussy eater and would probably starve otherwise, plus I think it's better to be able to eat whenever you want, and it's cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm definitely going self-catered for the whole of my degree because I'm a really fussy eater and would probably starve otherwise, plus I think it's better to be able to eat whenever you want, and it's cheaper.
    I might go self-catered for my 3 years at university. The problem is you might have the same food every week on a particular day and it might get boring (e.g. every monday you have pie and carrots).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Nope, because you can buy cheaper food (like Asda Smartprice stuff) and use coupons and things and save loads of money! If you really try, you can spend less than £20 on food. It does depend how much the difference between catered and self catered is, but mostly self catered will be cheaper.

Some places, like York, do self catered but with places to eat if you need/want to, and that's best. Because if you don't feel like cooking or ruin your dinner you can go somewhere else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Nope, because you can buy cheaper food (like Asda Smartprice stuff) and use coupons and things and save loads of money! If you really try, you can spend less than £20 on food. It does depend how much the difference between catered and self catered is, but mostly self catered will be cheaper.

Some places, like York, do self catered but with places to eat if you need/want to, and that's best. Because if you don't feel like cooking or ruin your dinner you can go somewhere else!
    I'm (grades permitting) going to Cambridge, and I have no idea how the food system works there. I presume that on the whole it's catered (I haven't been sent anything at all about it) but d'you reckon you have somewhere where you can make food should you want to? Feel like a bit of an idiot being so clueless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie87)
    I'm (grades permitting) going to Cambridge, and I have no idea how the food system works there. I presume that on the whole it's catered (I haven't been sent anything at all about it) but d'you reckon you have somewhere where you can make food should you want to? Feel like a bit of an idiot being so clueless!
    i would think each college there would have it's own website, do a google search! you can probably find that info there...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emilie87)
    If you wander into the Cambridge forum they will be glad to tell you. I know that Crana likes moaning about her lack of cooking facilities.

ReputationRep:
    When i stayed over in Emma the facilities for cooking your own food looked disgusting. There's not much there either, just a hob i think. It might be different beween the halls though, i seem to remember seeing a nice kitchenette area in Trinity Hall, still not very well equipped though. All the halls are catered and when i ate there i thought the range and tast of food was really good. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    i seem to remember seeing a nice kitchenette area in Trinity Hall
    Hahahahahahaha... this is presumably a different Trinity Hall to the one I live in

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.