Turn on thread page Beta

Catered in First Year? watch

ReputationRep:
    im going for catered...... im not that fussy with my food..... and my rents will pay for it.. so ill have more money for going out. Plus u can eat when u want with that smartcard system.. take away meals.

ReputationRep:
    Mop - Well it was nicer than Emma's! xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm going self- catered....mainly because I don't eat and going catered would be a waste of money!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going self-catered in September (that is, if I get my first choice accommodation) I have absolutely no desire to have set meal times and eat in a huge hall, it would just be like returning to school. Plus, if I spend a day out shopping, or happen not to be in the university grounds at the set meal time - I'd have missed a meal that had already been paid for. Catered seems so restrictive.

ReputationRep:
    I saw at Aston university that if it is your insurance place, then you are unlikely to get halls. Is this true for a lot of other unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    When i stayed over in Emma the facilities for cooking your own food looked disgusting.
    Yay. Lucky me! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Emilie, i was in the 3rd year accommodation though. The food was nice, so don't worry too much about cooking your own food, and i had a piano room which was huuuge. I wouldn't worry about it too much. My friend who stayed over too had a more modern room near the jcr and that looked much better equipped, and generally nicer and brighter. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    I saw at Aston university that if it is your insurance place, then you are unlikely to get halls. Is this true for a lot of other unis?
    Depends on the university - most will state that you are not guaranteed accommodation if you do not accept the university as your firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather go selfcatered as I'm fussy and like cooking, but I'll have to go catered at Durham I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I'd rather go selfcatered as I'm fussy and like cooking, but I'll have to go catered at Durham I believe
    I thought you get a choice to go catered or not...

ReputationRep:
    Im going catered at Edinburgh. I think it will be rather handy- cooking takes up too much time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    Im going catered at Edinburgh. I think it will be rather handy- cooking takes up too much time.
    You're right; it's bloody inconvenient. Mind you, it would be nice to be able to choose what you get to eat - like you could if you went self-catered. I guess I'm just far too lazy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I thought you get a choice to go catered or not...
    Collingwood = catered halls with "kitchens" which consist of a worktop, fridge, sink and microwave.

ReputationRep:
    For me going catered would have been a waste of money. I know what i like and i tend to get cravings for things. I like not being restricted to a timetable and i know i'd always miss breakfast and then not want to go back for dinner if i was out of something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Sorry Emilie, i was in the 3rd year accommodation though. The food was nice, so don't worry too much about cooking your own food, and i had a piano room which was huuuge. I wouldn't worry about it too much. My friend who stayed over too had a more modern room near the jcr and that looked much better equipped, and generally nicer and brighter. xx
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I'll eat anyting really (within reason!) so I should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie87)
    I'm (grades permitting) going to Cambridge, and I have no idea how the food system works there. I presume that on the whole it's catered (I haven't been sent anything at all about it) but d'you reckon you have somewhere where you can make food should you want to? Feel like a bit of an idiot being so clueless!
    It's a bit weird. Some colleges e.g. Caius charge you for a certain number of "meal tickets" per term, which you have to pay for and therefore might as well use up. It's not enough for meals every day though.

The general system, though there is variation between colleges, is that students pay a "Kitchen Fixed Charge" every term, which varies somewhat but at Clare is currently £89. This subsidises buttery (canteen) food and pays (apparently) for maintainance of the student gyp rooms (kitchens). On top of this you THEN pay for any meals you have in the buttery, usually using your college card, which puts it on the end of term bill. It's pretty cheap - usually around £2 for a meal but the quality is definitely dodgy.

Halls do have kitchens, known as gyp rooms, but these can be very small and basic, to encourage people to eat in the buttery. Most will have at least a hob, a sink and a fridge, some places get microwaves, ovens etc but a lot don't. However, regardless of whether you eat in buttery the entire time, or cook your own food all term, you still have to pay Kitchen Fixed Charge, which is a bit annoying as I actually live 10 mins walk from the buttery. Some colleges don't charge students who aren't living in college accommodation, others do. Hope that helps!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.