Turn on thread page Beta

Why Bush doesn't care about global warming watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    So it's just a happy coincidence sea levels are rising due to melting ice caps? The only reason Americans aren't concerned are because it doesn't effect them. Yet. Live in Bangladesh and watch it go underwater.
    Whos economy will pay to save Bangladesh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Maybe he didn't mention global warming because many Americans (myself included) don't buy it. Man-made global warming is only a theory and there is no conclusive scientific evidence to prove that it even exists.

So because we have no evidence that god doesnt exist that means he does exist?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno know about some of you ignorant people here...but climate doesnt change over 50 years by 4-5 degrees..The process takes milleniums..Just a coincidence that the industrial revolution started in the last century..

ReputationRep:
    I see some people have never heard of the concept "opportunity cost".

ReputationRep:
    actually I was watching Senators McCain and Leiberman(sp?) and another man whom I didn't catch his name present their case to Congress and there is A LOT of evidence by international unions of scientists that supports the theory of global warming. However, all anyone needs to "disprove" the theories is one scientist who says they aren't true. and i agree with Alexdel, it takes a LONG time for such a change to take place. and global warming with DEFINETLY affect me because I only live 3 feet above sea-level! how can some of you sit there and say global warming is not caused by humans when these are the stats for the US alone: we make up about 2% of the world's population, and we produce 25% of the world's air-pollutants!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lianah)
    I was watchin' the news yesterday and George :cheeky: :puke: :bootyshak :hmpf: Bush was blabbing on about energy and didn't even mention global warming once. The idiot's a bit too relaxed about it, but then again, why should he care? He's old and he's gonna die of old age and stupidity in a few yrs time, so why the heck should he care about global warming?

Can't hold a gun in one hand and a bible in the other...my bad, Bush's done it :shot: :congrats:
    Lol.. why do u expect something from that stupid guy? go and do something urself about it..

ReputationRep:
    By the way, what's worse: promising to do something and not doing it, or not promising to do anything and then not doing it? Because last time I checked, all of the EU signed the Kyoto Protocol, yet most of the EU member states have not met the terms of the treaty; this includes Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    By the way, what's worse: promising to do something and not doing it, or not promising to do anything and then not doing it? Because last time I checked, all of the EU signed the Kyoto Protocol, yet most of the EU member states have not met the terms of the treaty; this includes Britain.
    Actually they have reduced emissions which in this day and age it's not something easy considering all the financial implications...there are plenty of regualtions and environmental taxes over here whereas in the US you go around on humvees. And when there is a disaster that comes down to global warming you claim the moral high ground by sending $10 m dollars which more than other countries but a lot less in terms of % in GDP...The dutch being the most generous last time I checked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Actually they have reduced emissions which in this day and age it's not something easy considering all the financial implications...there are plenty of regualtions and environmental taxes over here whereas in the US you go around on humvees. And when there is a disaster that comes down to global warming you claim the moral high ground by sending $10 m dollars which more than other countries but a lot less in terms of % in GDP...The dutch being the most generous last time I checked.
    So what's Britain's excuse for violating the terms of the Kyoto Protocol?

ReputationRep:
    So what's Britain's excuse for violating the terms of the Kyoto Protocol?
    Violating? Last time I checked we have our signature there....whats ur excuse for contributing to 25% of overall pollution when you population is only 2%? Too many Mcdonalds?

ReputationRep:
    Violating? Last time I checked we have our signature there....whats ur excuse for contributing to 25% of overall pollution when you population is only 2%? Too many Mcdonalds?
    Emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide rose in the European Union by 1.5% in 2003 after falling in 2002, the European Environment Agency reports.
    Source

So what's Britain's excuse for not meeting its treaty obligations under Kyoto? You condemn the US for not decreasing emissions despite America never agreeing to do so, yet you don't condemn Britain for not decreasing emissions despite promising to do so? Do you not care about international law? Or are you one of those people who thinks signing a document is more important than carrying out its terms?

ReputationRep:
    Source

So what's Britain's excuse for not meeting its treaty obligations under Kyoto? You condemn the US for not decreasing emissions despite America never agreeing to do so, yet you don't condemn Britain for not decreasing emissions despite promising to do so? Do you not care about international law? Or are you one of those people who thinks signing a document is more important than carrying out its terms?
    I dont know what kind of education you get over there but the Euopean Union it's not Britain....but I guess such a mistake doesnt come as a surprise to me. You will find that of the targets set some have been met and some havent however they have all fallen. Do you happen to have some stats regarding the US by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what kind of education you get over there but the Euopean Union it's not Britain....
    If you'd read the next sentence:

Italy, Finland and the UK were named as the worst offenders
    You would know what I was referring to.

but I guess such a mistake doesnt come as a surprise to me. You will find that of the targets set some have been met and some havent however they have all fallen. Do you happen to have some stats regarding the US by any chance?
    Why should America promise to reduce emissions when the other countries who have promised to do so have reneged on their agreement?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK made the kyoto limit - but only just

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Hmm I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK made the kyoto limit - but only just
    False.

ReputationRep:
    False.
    ...says FOX news?

ReputationRep:
    False.
    Continue...

ReputationRep:
    Ah I think this was it:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/featu...403983,00.html
    "The UK is still under its 12.5% target, but only just."

I'm not sure if that's our target or Kyoto's

ReputationRep:
    If you'd read the next sentence:

You would know what I was referring to.

Why should America promise to reduce emissions when the other countries who have promised to do so have reneged on their agreement?
    You sytill are not answering my questions...how come u produce 25% then? How come you dont even reduce your emissions at all?

ReputationRep:
    ...says FOX news?
    Says BBC. Didn't you read the article I just posted? Instead of reducing emissions (as it is obligated to do under Kyoto), it increased emissions by 7 million tonnes.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.