Turn on thread page Beta

Why Bush doesn't care about global warming watch

ReputationRep:
    How many Brits here would be willing to increase their unemployment rate by 5% and reduce their average income by $30,000 per year in 20 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Kyoto probably wasn't created for the sole purpose of hobbling the USA, but I can see why Europe was salivating over the thought of us agreeing to its terms. It would have cut our GDP growth by 50% and what European politician wouldn't love to see that happen to an economic competitor?
    I really am not ready to believe that estimate. I actually am not in favour of Kyoto - the money could better be spent on other ways of fighting global warming. But a 50% cut in GDP? come now ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I really am not ready to believe that estimate. I actually am not in favour of Kyoto - the money could better be spent on other ways of fighting global warming. But a 50% cut in GDP? come now ...
    The claim is that it will decrease GDP growth by 50%, which means cutting growth from 3.5% to 1.75%. I've seen estimates that claim GDP growth will by cut by as much as 80% (from 3.5% to 0.5%). For each percent GDP growth goes down, the unemployment rate goes up 2%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    The claim is that it will decrease GDP growth by 50%, which means cutting growth from 3.5% to 1.75%. I've seen estimates that claim GDP growth will by cut by as much as 80% (from 3.5% to 0.5%). For each percent GDP growth goes down, the unemployment rate goes up 2%.
    Sorry I misread. Thought it said GDP. not growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Sorry I misread. Thought it said GDP. not growth.
    No problem. Just promise to oppose Kyoto in the future.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Just promise to oppose Kyoto in the future.
    Like I said... I think that the best plan is to spend LARGE amounts of money improving technology so as to reduce pollution - such as electric fuel cell cars etc.

The effect of adherence to the Kyoto protocol is negligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Like I said... I think that the best plan is to spend LARGE amounts of money improving technology so as to reduce pollution - such as electric fuel cell cars etc.

The effect of adherence to the Kyoto protocol is negligible.
    If you want to have a read at the nuclear power thread on the party site you will see some information about future fuel sources.etc. - it would be good to hear your input aswell.

ReputationRep:
    25% of the world's economic output?? that seems like a lot... and i've gotta say i think if we were producing/exporting that much our economy wouldn't be half as bad...it might be like it was in the 90s... sadly (and stupidly on our part) our country is importing a HELLUVA lot more than its exporting and what happens when you buy more than you sell???? ..... for those of you who havent put it together, you lose a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlaura_loo)
    25% of the world's economic output?? that seems like a lot... and i've gotta say i think if we were producing/exporting that much our economy wouldn't be half as bad...it might be like it was in the 90s... sadly (and stupidly on our part) our country is importing a HELLUVA lot more than its exporting and what happens when you buy more than you sell???? ..... for those of you who havent put it together, you lose a lot of money.
    THe GDP of the US is about 1/4 of world GDP.

Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlaura_loo)
    Nothing happens as long as foreigners are willing to buy American bonds. And they will continue to buy American bonds, not out of altruism, but to keep their currencies cheap so that they can continue exporting to us. Not a bad deal I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms.8U88735)
    Bush should be worried about global warming. if the ice caps start melting then some of the american states will be the homes of the american fish as water levels rise. It won't make any difference to bush though. he's busy making countries dry out of oil and making money out of it, pollution is his least priority.
    ahhh but would american fish vote republican?
    you should tell bush that is he doesn't do something about it democrat fish will invade

he is so laxy. just get up and do something! educate you country! no wonder no one in america believes in global warming, not many people really believe in the globe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glicker)
    you should tell bush that is he doesn't do something about it democrat fish will invade

he is so laxy. just get up and do something! educate you country! no wonder no one in america believes in global warming, not many people really believe in the globe
    Yeah, let's screw the economy on the off-chance that A) global warming is caused mostly by humans, and B) we can do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Despite environmentalists' propaganda, there is plenty of evidence to refute their claims that the globe is warming and that human industrial activity is significantly changing global climate. In fact, more than seventeen thousand American scientists, including geophysicists, climatologists, meteorologists and oceanographers, have signed the Oregon Petition declaring that "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of . . . greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."

ReputationRep:
    You are, ofcourse, right, but the reason that is so is because of a *******isation of the term "catastrophic". Also...you need a combination of different scientists to fully comprehend the overall effects.
    Also...geophysicists dont have a clue about this - so they're just being petitioned for extra votes from the science community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    A 50% cut in gdp growth, not gpd, of course. Some estimates suggest that we would only see 1.5% increases in GDP every year instead of the 3%+ annual increases we've become accustomed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glicker)

Democrats are not in favor of Kyoto either. This isn't about democrats or republicans. John Kerry, one of the most liberal senators in the usa, even said it was flawed in the second debate. Even our most liberal politicians think the kyoto accord is unreasonable, and that's really saying something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Democrats are not in favor of Kyoto either. This isn't about democrats or republicans. John Kerry, one of the most liberal senators in the usa, even said it was flawed in the second debate. Even our most liberal politicians think the kyoto accord is unreasonable, and that's really saying something.
    I think some people don't realize that Kyoto was voted down 95-0 by the US Senate under Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this would make for some spirited debate:

http://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=3

Right click and download all the videos. All the Euros here are well versed in all the arguments in favor of Kyoto, but not many seem to be aware of the arguments against it. A lot of the science behind kyoto has been refuted. These videos were canadian-produced, so you can't dismiss it is "american propaganda."

ReputationRep:
    What a nice meeting of mutual agreement between our yank friends here..nice to see that the view of the outside world gets its fair attention over the pond.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people don't realize that Kyoto was voted down 95-0 by the US Senate under Clinton.
    Indeed, this isnt about Bush at all. Whatsmore, its Christian conservatives who most strongly in favour of changes to environmental policy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.