ROMEO AND JULIET-help! Watch

This discussion is closed.
girlie
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Could someone please help me?! I have to write an essay on Romeo and Juliet, ACT 3,SCENE 5, from lines 176-256. And im stuck! Please if any1 has any ideas, please email me! I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hello!
You can focus on the language and the subtle changes it refers to. For e.g at the beginning when Romeo wants to leave Juliet protests and there are refrences to images of 'light'. Unlike the earlier scenes these images are not foreshadowing happiness but the opposite. Juliet finishes her dialouge with 'O now be gone; more light and light it grows.' and Romeo replies 'More light and light, more dark and dark our woes.'
The Nurse then refers to Juliet as 'Madam'-- a reflection of Juliet's new found maturity and martial state?
There is more foreshadowing, Juliet states 'As one dead in the bottom of a tomb.' and then there is double entrendre [verbal irony] when Juliet, while conversing with her mother says ' Yet let me weep for such a feeling loss' Her mother presumes she's mourning the death of Tybalt, while Juliet is really mourning the fact that Romeo has to leave. Also in the same conversation she says '...And yet no man like he doth grieve my heart.' and more verbal irony in the scene with her mother and father. more foreshadowing ' In that dim monument where Tybalt lies'
Also the time factor is stressed. Her father insists she marry Paris and suddenly Romeo and Juliet have run out of time; because of this pressure to marry Paris she hatches the plan w/ Lawrence. Also; the Nurse alienates Juliet in this scene. '... Romeo's a dishclout to him; and eagle, madam.,...' leading Juliet to feel that she can trust noone and that Friar Lawrence is her last hope.

Hope that helped!!
if you have any more questions/ need more help; please do email me: [email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
youy suck
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Diagonalley86 You're brilliant you can remember this quote and you seem so interested in it as I am. I hope you can do that with other Shakespearian plays because you can use his quotes for almost anything.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I hate romeo and juliet!!!!!!!!!!
mike
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I hate romeo and juliet!!!!!!!!!!
SHE ASKED FOR HELP NOT YOU COMMENTS
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (114)
14.18%
Excited (78)
9.7%
Worried (152)
18.91%
Terrified (186)
23.13%
Meh (52)
6.47%
Confused (22)
2.74%