Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I have to make my A level choices and im kinda stuck. I had recently decided to take:

french
    theatre
    geography (maybe spanish)
    AS english language

But I'm undecided as to whether I should take spanish instead of theatre. I could always just do theatre as a hobbie but I really like it (and and quite good at it ). But I have heard it is a lot of work. Spanish, on the other hand, would be good to have because I would be qualified in three languages. I was wondering if any one could help me...is theatre a good choice? Should I keep it as a hobbie? Also, these options seem kinda 'random' because they dont really specify in one area, is this a good or bad thing?
    I could always do a course in Spanish later but I think I will probably lose it. So maybe it is better to keep it up now, get a qualification and then drop it. I wasn't planning on really going into theatre so maybe I shouldn't take it. But I hear universities like it...I'm at a loss....please help

ReputationRep:
    If you have studies Spenish before and enjoyed it I think you should take it. If you do not carry on with it you will forget what ylu have already learn. What course are you planing to do at uni? Anything with modern languages? If I were you I think I wiuld take french, spanish, teater AS english and not geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    If you have studies Spenish before and enjoyed it I think you should take it. If you do not carry on with it you will forget what ylu have already learn. What course are you planing to do at uni? Anything with modern languages? If I were you I think I wiuld take french, spanish, teater AS english and not geography.

I have no idea what I want to do. But i figured having theatre and three languages would leave me kinda stuck because what can I do from that? I haven't even thought about university at all! So maybe I should just drop theatre...why would you drop gepgraphy - i thought it would be a base subject to build up from, the languages would help.

ReputationRep:
    I would also drop geography, but that might reflect my taste more than your own. Why do you want geography? Theatre studies is great fun but does require quite a lot of work, both performance-based and essays. However, it tends to be among people's favourite subjects, especially if it's well taught. You don't have to go into theatre afterwards (though some people do) and it contrasts very well with your other A levels.
    Languages are good, I'm doing (...did...) French and German at A level and it's really helpful having the two languages inform on each other and back each other up, though it can get a little confusing.
    Why English Language? You haven't said anything about it, are you sure you want to do it? I hated it (did it for a few weeks then switched to German, one of the best decisions of my life). You could do French, Spanish, Theatre, and Geography, and decide at the end of AS which, if any, you want to drop.
    Having two language A levels might seem like too much of a focus on that area, especially if you're not sure what you want to do at uni. Maybe you should think about that? Obviously decisions you make now won't necessarily remain the same for the next two years, but it might give you a few ideas and help guide you in your A level choices.
    Having a mixture of subjects tends to be good for uni (unless you're applying for very specific courses like medicine, but you look more like an artsy person so it should be ok), but like I said I'm not sure how two languages would look. Maybe a discussion with teachers/careers advisors is in order?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go for Spanish because although A-level languages are hard work, they're very well-respected by universities and employers, whereas theatre studies is seen as a bit of a doss even though that is also a lot of work. As you said yourself, theatre studies is something you could easily pursue as a hobby in your spare time or pick up again later on, whereas Spanish would be harder to keep up with and you'll forget it all if you don't use it. On the other hand, doing 2 languages would be difficult, so it just depends on how much you enjoy them. I wouldn't worry about your choices being very broad as it gives you more options later on and shows that you're well-rounded. My personal recommendation would be to take French, Spanish, English language and geography for AS and then decide which, if any, you want to drop.

ReputationRep:
    Theatre wouldn't be the best choice for uni, and if you're planning to do languages there (which you should, you sound good at them and like you enjoy them!) you should take Spanish. Or Geography, which may open up your options a bit more if you've not decided about uni/career yet.

ReputationRep:
    ok, about english language: i am really not that bothered about it, i just figured it would look wierd if i didnt do english for some reason. do i have to? i mean if i do two languages then not my mother tongue...? i really like theatre but it does sound like hard-work (I dont care about lots of performing work) with lots of essays and stuff. en plus, i dont know if i could even get a good grade at english language...
    i picked geography because it seemed to me to be a 'base-subject'; something i could build up from, with the help of languages I guess. But i really have no idea what i want to do after A levels....uni yeah, but i dunno what im gonna do there.
    Should i do english language?- the only other choices was media studies and psychology for AS level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazziecs)
    ok, about english language: i am really not that bothered about it, i just figured it would look wierd if i didnt do english for some reason. do i have to? i mean if i do two languages then not my mother tongue...? i really like theatre but it does sound like hard-work (I dont care about lots of performing work) with lots of essays and stuff. en plus, i dont know if i could even get a good grade at english language...
    i picked geography because it seemed to me to be a 'base-subject'; something i could build up from, with the help of languages I guess. But i really have no idea what i want to do after A levels....uni yeah, but i dunno what im gonna do there.
    Should i do english language?- the only other choices was media studies and psychology for AS level...
    It wont' be weird if you don't do English. I know some people who's first language is English, didn't take it at A-level for example.

To make your decisions, you should read the specifications for those subjects you want to take (i.e. english language, thater, psychology, media studies) and decide if they are interesting for you. If you know the exam boards, I will find the specs for you.

ReputationRep:
    french and spanish : edexcel
    geography : OCR
    theatre studies : edexcel
    english : edexcel

ReputationRep:
    french and spanish : edexcel
    geography : OCR
    theatre studies : edexcel
    english : edexcel
    French - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/215873.pdf
    Spanish - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25419.pdf
    Geography - http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da..._A_Level19.pdf
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...Cr81Ywblef.pdf
    Theater - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon..._9781_Spec.pdf
    English - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...cification.pdf

ReputationRep:
    thanx alot

ReputationRep:
    thanx alot
    You're welcome. After reading the specifications, I hope you decide which subject to take.

For OCR geography, I posted to specifications, as I'm not sure which one you are doing (i.e. spec A or B).

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be contrary, but all those choices are classed as "arts".
    Do one language and the rest non-languages and the uni's will think you are well-rounded. It's what everyone's telling me about my options [one language and the rest non-languages].

ReputationRep:
    I did three languages...

ReputationRep:
    I would go for Spanish because Unis like languages, also you can do theater in your spare time and still use it for ucas but you probably wont do spanish in your spare time!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.