Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was excellent personally. There were a few tricky parts and Q1 wasn't exactly perfect, but what can you do? Thought the question about proteins and genetic engineering was excellent, but I wasn't sure what it wanted when it said 'how can the gene be used to synthesise the protein?' I thought about writing about transcription and translation, but decided to write about plasmids instead, because it seemed more relevant. Rubbishly worded question though!

ReputationRep:
    how many marks do people think it would be 2 get a B in this paper? 60-65? or is that 2 low?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. i got 66 last time around and that was mid to low b. but urgh. this paper annoyed me.it wasn't hard as in what they were asking you to know (for most of it). it was just the way they wrote it that confused the hell out of me, so i wrote anything, that once i got out the exam i relised was wrong...or i made really silly mistakes. And there were too many 'wrtting questions' like the one about what can chemists do to develope new drugs.
    oh well, bye bye bristol. hello birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Ah feck I thought the Zn question was for Zn3+ not just Zn. Doh.

ReputationRep:
    Remember the 2mark question on polymers?
    It involved nylon and another polymer, question said something like "why is it stronger when nylon is added in terms of intermolecular attractions"

it was 2marks, but i wrote at least 4 points hoping that at least 2 were correct

What did people put?

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned that nylon has hydrogen bonding where as PET only has permanant dipole-permanent dipole forces between its molecules. so if nylon is added there will be some hydrogen bondgin which is stronger- or something on the jist of that anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, I thought it was awful and so did practically everyone else in my sixth form as far as I can tell. I can settle for a C I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Oh my God, I thought it was awful and so did practically everyone else in my sixth form as far as I can tell. I can settle for a C I suppose...
    really? i think that it was a hard paper but i think i made silly mistakes.

what do people think about the grade boundries. are they ever low?

ReputationRep:
    I made tons of silly mistakes - so mad at myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nageen)
    i hate every moment of it
    it was the worst paper i have ever seen.everything was out of my mind.
    i m really depressed rite now
    ocr salter examiners are realy really stupid

too clever for their own good you mean? :p:

ReputationRep:
    that exam paper was a killer!.....soooooo damn crap!.....are sith form didn't even get the chance to do the jan exam paper.....so that was our first!....oh god!

ReputationRep:
    that exam paper was a killer!.....soooooo damn crap!.....are sith form didn't even get the chance to do the jan exam paper.....so that was our first!....oh god!
    We couldn't take it in January either, its the same for all of our subjects. We only do AS unit resits in January

ReputationRep:
    so is the outcome a 50/50 thing?

half the people saying it was fine and half the people saying it was difficult.

What did people get as the structure of the molecule as a result of the NMR shifts..

ohh and the very very very last thing on the paper - what did poeple write?
    "what does NMR tell you?"

i reffered back to Q1 and used what the put their - something about proton environments and their relative shifts and numbers of Hydrogens...and some othre stuff cant rememer..

ReputationRep:
    i thought the Jan paper for this was a bit harder

ReputationRep:
    this didnt have any straightforward stuff in it - ie askin the typical why is magnesium added in BOS etc ... i mean why cant they just be like past paper format - this was nothing like any past paper i dont think . I also think people who do biology have a slight advantage on this one.

ReputationRep:
    ........after this one i hope chemistry by design next week will be easy........like thats ever gonna happen though!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    What did people get as the structure of the molecule as a result of the NMR shifts..

ohh and the very very very last thing on the paper - what did poeple write?
    "what does NMR tell you?"

i reffered back to Q1 and used what the put their - something about proton environments and their relative shifts and numbers of Hydrogens...and some othre stuff cant rememer..
    can't remember what i put for the structure - methanol I think though I could have just made that up, my memory has givne up on me. if someone says what they put it might jog my memory.

for the last one i put sam - environment of H and number of H's

ReputationRep:
    Ha! I'm gonna FAIL chem by design - that's why i was retaking

ReputationRep:
    For Chem by Design, is anyone revising synoptic stuff? I thought I might answer all the questions in each chapter of chem ideas, but how long is that going to take..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    For Chem by Design, is anyone revising synoptic stuff? I thought I might answer all the questions in each chapter of chem ideas, but how long is that going to take..!
    forever and 3 days. I'm using the philip alan books - going through from cover to cover - and past papers - maybe flick though storylines.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.