Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    they come up with it because things like this do happen, and people get upset and cannot concentrate and so they do not do their best. the exam boards give extra % because they are actually are people and believe that things like this affect peoples marks and grades - in a weird way its their way of saying sorry
    I personally think that death of a friend/family member/pet deserves extr marks in the exam, but i do have to agree with the BBC spokeman who claims that exam boards are far to leaned back with more marks for headaches etc, you cant prove you dont or do have a headache.

I had a discussion with my grandad on fathers day lol, and he says exam boards should let the candidates get on with it if they have hayfever or a little sniffle or something, this i think is just encouraging people to squeeze undue marks out.

ReputationRep:
    thank guys, you are all really nice. no its better now, we have pretty much moved on. I wouldn't claim for extra marks, i just heard they take it into consideration but they couldn't possibly say who deserves them and who doesn't because, yes some people were not that upset but at the same time even people who never knew her were crying, you didnt need to be a close friend to be upset - the whole school was crying.

ReputationRep:
    any loss makes you think a lot,
    You can't be blamed for feeling upset for someone you hardly know.
    That's why we're human - emotion

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse they deserve extra marks, but...the exam board just seem really sick by putting losses with stuff like a headache?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazziecs)
    the second day of my exams, a girl in my class died of a brain hemrage. It was so sudden. I was told and then 20 minutes later I had to go into an exam. The teachers told me to pull myself together, that Laura would want us to pass our exams, but somehow to me this seemed like such a inapropriate thing to say. How would they know what she wanted?

Throughout my exam she was all I could think about, history sources seemed so insignificant then. I heard later that the examination board would be told and that would be taken into consideration, but how would they do that? The teachers said they would mark us easier for the day we found out, but do they just assume that we would not be affected throughout the entire exam period? I was just wondering...I really think it affected my results, not that that is important. What do you think?
    sorry doll about ur loss, condolences to the family and friends. Yeah they will give you considerations - hopefully after all the exams u've done prior to the young girls death....once again im really sorry xoxo

ReputationRep:
    to be fair there will be a few people each yr who actually have a headache, and it was probably decided with the best intentions in mind, but like every other system it gets abused by both students and greedy schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    i think it is most likely to be the percent one as they give you 5% when a pet dies on the day of an exam.
    Are you serious? They give you 5% extra if a pet dies? That seems a bit dodgy, who is your source for this information? LOL 5% if a pet dies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    That was the point i was trying to get Across, perosnally i wouldnt claim for more marks in an exam, wouldnt feel right, unless the school claimed for me.
    yeh, i mean, even if the school claimed for me i would feel really uncomfortable and guilty... i hate discussing topics like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    yeh, i mean, even if the school claimed for me i would feel really uncomfortable and guilty... i hate discussing topics like this
    likewise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Are you serious? They give you 5% extra if a pet dies? That seems a bit dodgy, who is your source for this information? LOL 5% if a pet dies...
    serious it is true it was printed in the guardian education section and in the metro. but it has to be on the day, and i'm sure the exam board must have some system of verification like ringing a parent or vet or someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    serious it is true it was printed in the guardian education section and in the metro. but it has to be on the day, and i'm sure the exam board must have some system of verification like ringing a parent or vet or someone
    Of course they do, otherwise the system would totally fail and they'd be made a mockery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    That seems too unlikely man... How can the exam board prove that the person is telling the truth... If I wanted that 5% I could just say: My pet dog, my dear pet dog who I have cherrished all my life, I miss him so much!!! Oh Boxer, I miss you!!! Yes Sir, my pet dog was run over, I'd loved him for all my life, I am utterly devistated... Can I have my 5% now?

ReputationRep:
    seriously they do! its their way ennit! they hope people will be honest

ReputationRep:
    i don't want the exams to give me extra percentage for the death of my rabbit, i want them to hunt my neighbours horrible big fat cat for ripping away my lovely rabbit, god cats looks soo cute and sweet and yet they are soo evil

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a flawed system, which is waiting to be taken advantage of.

ReputationRep:
    Cats = worst animals ever

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a flawed system, which is waiting to be taken advantage of.
    yes and i can see your wanting to be first lol

ReputationRep:
    Well, why not? Ok I suppose I ain't a cheat, but, I bet there are hundereds who have done this.

ReputationRep:
    Well, why not? Ok I suppose I ain't a cheat, but, I bet there are hundereds who have done this.
    yep, goes without saying :mad:

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, I'd feel better with a grade which is 5% off an C provided it's an honest grade, rather than a grade which is a C but has not been achieved honestly.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.