Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got a slight problem at the moment..... we have to decide which module we want to do in A-level Mathematics, but i dont know which to choose :confused: Can anyone give me any ideas on how easy/hard these two modules are? -- and which would be easiest? I've already done C1, C2 and M1, but no prior statistics

Also, its been suggested that we could split the class up into two groups... then, if i were to take both modules (ie, do an extra module on top of the other compulsory ones), would it have any affect on my final grade? What would i do with it?

ReputationRep:
    S1 is easier but M2 is much more fun, interesting and rewarding!
    so its up to you really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuber)
    so its up to you really.
    My school made people do S1 and M1 for their A Level and found results were worse than if they'd let them do S1 and S2 or M1 and M2. You've been learning mechanics for a year so you are into that way of thinking and will probably take you a while to get into stats.

Plus, M2 is fun. I would do it just for fun. Hardly anything to learn, very easy (i'd say) to score on the exams as long as you learn the concepts (of which there aren't many because there are only about 5 chapters in the M2 (edexcel) textbook :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    Plus, M2 is fun. I would do it just for fun. Hardly anything to learn, very easy (i'd say) to score on the exams as long as you learn the concepts (of which there aren't many because there are only about 5 chapters in the M2 (edexcel) textbook :eek:
    I agree. it took me 3days of cramming to learn the entire text book and get a high score in a school mock (i wont tell my score! dont want to jinx M2 exam tomorrow).
    M2 is really just a continuation of M1. most topics build on what we already know in M1. it is even possible to get 40% (ie a pass) with good M1 knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Got a slight problem at the moment..... we have to decide which module we want to do in A-level Mathematics, but i dont know which to choose :confused: Can anyone give me any ideas on how easy/hard these two modules are? -- and which would be easiest? I've already done C1, C2 and M1, but no prior statistics

Also, its been suggested that we could split the class up into two groups... then, if i were to take both modules (ie, do an extra module on top of the other compulsory ones), would it have any affect on my final grade? What would i do with it?
    If lessons are arranged so that you can do both, then start both.

- You can count the better result towards your grade.
    - You can drop the stats if it drives you mad or is too time-consuming (the latter is unlikely) without having to catch up on the Mechanics.

Tactics!

Aitch

ReputationRep:

taking both would be good, cos then uve got more chance of gettin a higer grade. if u liked M1 then do M2 but id say stats was better

ReputationRep:
    in the end no1 will knw wat u did just your marks...if i had the choice i wud have done S1..Trust me CHOOSE S1!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, im sure the teacher is reluctant to teach is M2 then.... he mentioned something about it being very hard in comparison...but the fact that you say maths can be fun is enough to sway my view! :eek:

Anyone got any good A-level sites with S1 and M2 material on it?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, im sure the teacher is reluctant to teach is M2 then.... he mentioned something about it being very hard in comparison...but the fact that you say maths can be fun is enough to sway my view! :eek:

This is a good Stats site - you need to register though, and it's not specifically focussed on the AL exam.

http://cast.massey.ac.nz/

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    I've done both and I'd go for M2 any day, it follows on nicely from M1. If you found M1 not too hard then definitely go for M2. Stats gets confusing unless you have a good teacher and don't have to rely on the book. However if you know what you're doing you can get lots of marks in S1. Unless you have a big class then the support of having quite a few friends helping each other when stuck will disappear if your class is split. If it is split then side with whoever you learn best with.

ReputationRep:
    I have only done: S1, S2 and M1. S1 is boring, if you are looking something easy maybe go for S1, but I never done M2 so I dont really which one is easier. But go with the one you will find most fun...

ReputationRep:
    www.mathsrevision.net in the A Level section

-Kavanne

ReputationRep:
    M2 follows on nicely from M1 and, as said above, it merely extends many of the ideas and so isn't too difficult to follow.

ReputationRep:
    s1 is so so so easy.... really take s1

ReputationRep:
    Iv done the whole lot. If you found M1 easy, you'l find M2 easy as well. I have to agree with all those who say it's more fun than stats. If you choose S1 you'll have to do more revision (wel i did anyway) than with mechanics modules. Saying that, both modules are not very difficult so i'd suggest choosing the one you think you'l enjoy more

ReputationRep:
    is the m2 still the same exam... so is the exam that i'm taking tomorrow with everyone in the upper six is the same as people doing further maths in the lower six...???

if it is i very strongly advise you NOT to do m2 because comparitively s1 a complete piss exam.. To be honest this is why i really think that further maths people don't like it... (i know i'm right on that one, lol) also, mainly further maths people would be taking m2 in the new syllabus it would be much harder to get an A for...

i personally think it's a waste of time doing both s1 and m2, it's better to concentrate on fewer exams and trying to get higher marks...

really up to you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuber)
    so its up to you really.
    Agree COMPLETELY with the above comment! I LOVE M2, but undoubtedly S1 is easier. Bring on the M2 I'd say though!

ReputationRep:
    lol, i might just stick with the easy choice then.... i mean i've done bad on the M1 paper anyway... best not to make things worse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    is the m2 still the same exam... so is the exam that i'm taking tomorrow with everyone in the upper six is the same as people doing further maths in the lower six...???
    yes i'm in lower 6th doing the same M2 exam as you are tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHMarsh10)
    Agree COMPLETELY with the above comment! I LOVE M2, but undoubtedly S1 is easier. Bring on the M2 I'd say though!
    lol me too. next year i have the choice of choosing 2 between M3, M4, S1, S2, and i will choose M3+4. some may call me crazy. i dont

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.