Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping a subject..will uni's not want me? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Maths, further math, computing and physics at the moment and want to do Electronic engineering at uni, i'm struggling really badly in computing coz i'm just absoloutly rubbish at programming and don't understand it, wil this affect my chances in getting to uni because i heard that there is a lot of programming in electronic engineering? Please help, need to write personal statement!

ReputationRep:
    depends what year you're in..... have you applied to uni for 2005/06?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Unless your university specifically says that they require or prefer you to have A-level computing, you can drop it because 3 A-levels and 1 AS is the most you need for any university.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until your results for AS come out, so you know what to drop. If you think you are not good at Computing, you could drop it. There's no point continuing a course that you don't enjoy. Check the universities requirements for the electronic engineering course. I didn't know that course involved programming...

I don't think it will affect your chances of getting in, as if the course has programming, you will be taught from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    *nods at Trev*

ReputationRep:
    the course at Southampton does a bit on C++ in the first year so i'm kinda petrified because i really want to go there but, they taught VB at my school from scratch and i seemed to be the only one who dont get it. They said they want Maths and Physics (and all the other uinis that i looked up) but would htey think i lack motivation and all that if i drop a subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microwave69)
    the course at Southampton does a bit on C++ in the first year so i'm kinda petrified because i really want to go there but, they taught VB at my school from scratch and i seemed to be the only one who dont get it. They said they want Maths and Physics (and all the other uinis that i looked up) but would htey think i lack motivation and all that if i drop a subject?
    I'm sure they would teach you C++ from scratch. You could learn some during the summer before you go to university if you wish. Since you are doing Maths and Physics, you would be alright.

I don't think they would think about lack of motivation. I know other people dropped the subject and they still got the offer. In addition, their offers didn't change too.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they think you lack motivation if you drop a subject? It's normal to do so

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.