Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A Chains Ring and Spec....How did you find it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morpheus)
    don't u hv unit 5 on Tues?
    My chemistry teacher didn't allow me to re-sit that unit, and i'm thanking her immensely for that. Today was my final science exam day (i still have english), and i am sooooo happy i dont have to revise this weekend for it (although i may be thinking quite the opposite come results day!)

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was harder than jan, but i am just asking for 2 more bloody marks to have my B and i'll be happy! i was SURE of the spec question this time (maybe cos i understood it) so i hope that will get me some. i put HCl instead of acid catalyst for the esterification- think i'll get the mark??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CogitoErgoSum)
    i thought it was harder than jan, but i am just asking for 2 more bloody marks to have my B and i'll be happy! i was SURE of the spec question this time (maybe cos i understood it) so i hope that will get me some. i put HCl instead of acid catalyst for the esterification- think i'll get the mark??
    I think so.. I put H2SO4 cos technically they are acid catalysts.. I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    I think so.. I put H2SO4 cos technically they are acid catalysts.. I think!

good!!

ReputationRep:
    good!!
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainjan_4now)
    :ditto:
    that one on which line on the mass spec was correct was a little weird...

ReputationRep:
    that one on which line on teh mass spec was correct was a little weird...
    I worked out the molecular formula using the empirical formula given, and i got 74 or something, and that was the last peak or m/e value on the mass spec, and therefore the empirical formula was the mr.

It was confusing at first because i read that the mr value is always the last but one peak due to a c13 isotope, and i circled the wrong peak at first- making my answer to that question a very messy one indeed!

ReputationRep:
    i just put that neither of the other two would add up.... i had no idea whatsoever on that...

ReputationRep:
    i just put that neither of the other two would add up.... i had no idea whatsoever on that...
    all types of spectroscopy sucks! We lucked out this year as the correct compound didnt cause anysplitting patterns and you could just say that it was due to "there not being any chemically ajacent protons in the environment"- or something similar

ReputationRep:
    all types of spectroscopy sucks! We lucked out this year as the correct compound didnt cause anysplitting patterns and you could just say that it was due to "there not being any chemically ajacent protons in the environment"- or something similar
    ii did okay on the NMR, it was just the mass spec one . yes, we definatly got lucky on the NMR,because it was quite obvious! i talked about "environments" and stuff, too!

ReputationRep:
    As a whole, the paper was very easy though

ReputationRep:
    ii did okay on the NMR, it was just the mass spec one . yes, we definatly got lucky on the NMR,because it was quite obvious! i talked about "environments" and stuff, too!
    I actually sounded quite intellectual (even though it would have been a whole different story if a doublet, triplet etc occured) and i hope to receive my first mark ever for written comunication

ReputationRep:
    The only question I was unsure of was how the aluminium chloride was regenerated.

I reacted it with a methly free radical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by froggymills)
    The only question I was unsure of was how the aluminium chloride was regenerated.

I reacted it with a methly free radical
    i just reacted it with the hydrogen that was lost whilst substituting it with the other group. I dunno if its right because im not sure if HCL is produced as a by-product, but i put it down anyway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i just reacted it with the hydrogen that was lost whilst substituting it with the other group. I dunno if its right because im not sure if HCL is produced as a by-product, but i put it down anyway :rolleyes:
    yeah thats what i did.

i checked it in one of my non-ocr specific revision books, and they show the whole process as including that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starstrike)
    yeah thats what i did.

i checked it in one of my non-ocr specific revision books, and they show the whole process as including that
    me, too. i did the same thing. so, yay! thats some more marks..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.