Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the paper? I thought both were just OK.

Unit 4 - I got -303 Kj/mol as the Electron affinity. 0.0027 as Kp . I dont remember the values for pH.

Unit 5 - I couldn't figure out the questions involving polymerisation and the Diazonium thingy.

So I think the exam was quite OK..

ReputationRep:
    unit 4 was dodgy ...2 much periodicity crap...nto enuf organic

ReputationRep:
    i got 0.039 sumfin for kp. did u find unit 4 or 5 easier

ReputationRep:
    I got -250KjMol-1 for Iodine.......

ReputationRep:
    I think I got -303 kJmol-1 for the Born-Haber Cycle too.

Can't remember the Kp.

pH of 4.9 or something for the buffer, 2.something for just the acid.

I didn't think either paper was too bad. I was so terribly hot, I felt really bad at the start of unit 4. Seeing all the periodicity stuff for the first question didn't help. I was feeling awful and panic-y. I asked for a drink of water, went on to the next questions, and thankfully calmed down. I also went back and think I managed most of the periodicity questions (though I am unsure about why the silicon dioxide doesn't react). Just hoping I didn't make lots of careless errors as I was so bad at the start.

The exams were a bit annoying in parts though. The Born Haber Cycle was very unclear, if it there was a question where it asked us to draw a Born Haber Cycle, we would have probably got 0 marks if we drew that!

The Equilibrium questions were both quite easy though.

Unit 5, again some odd parts, but not amazingly bad, probably the harder one though. I too forgot conditions for azo dye, so I just put under 5 degress C for both (got to be right for one). The free radical mechanism wasn't something we really covered in much detail, but hopefully the marking will be lenient, as I think there are quite a lot of possible propagation steps. I started with the H bonding to the RO radical, making the C a radical, now wondering if I should have removed the double bond first.

Finally (sorry the post has been so long?!) anyone find it a bit odd they asked about the oxidation of alcohols in both papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_shoe_uk)
    I think I got -303 kJmol-1 for the Born-Haber Cycle too.

Can't remember the Kp.

pH of 4.9 or something for the buffer, 2.something for just the acid.

I didn't think either paper was too bad. I was so terribly hot, I felt really bad at the start of unit 4. Seeing all the periodicity stuff for the first question didn't help. I was feeling awful and panic-y. I asked for a drink of water, went on to the next questions, and thankfully calmed down. I also went back and think I managed most of the periodicity questions (though I am unsure about why the silicon dioxide doesn't react). Just hoping I didn't make lots of careless errors as I was so bad at the start.

The exams were a bit annoying in parts though. The Born Haber Cycle was very unclear, if it there was a question where it asked us to draw a Born Haber Cycle, we would have probably got 0 marks if we drew that!

The Equilibrium questions were both quite easy though.

Unit 5, again some odd parts, but not amazingly bad, probably the harder one though. I too forgot conditions for azo dye, so I just put under 5 degress C for both (got to be right for one). The free radical mechanism wasn't something we really covered in much detail, but hopefully the marking will be lenient, as I think there are quite a lot of possible propagation steps. I started with the H bonding to the RO radical, making the C a radical, now wondering if I should have removed the double bond first.

Finally (sorry the post has been so long?!) anyone find it a bit odd they asked about the oxidation of alcohols in both papers?

All my answers were the same as those. Huzzah.

I'm just worrying about whether i'll have managed the A boundary... I agree the SiO2 was a bit tough, and it's dubious as to whether i hit the mark points on some of my answers... *crosses fingers*

ReputationRep:
    I also got -303 for EA and 0.039 for Ka.

ReputationRep:
    fairieboi, are those your university offers in your signature?

I'm hoping I made the A boundary too, as my Cambridge offer. is pretty tough (and I unfortunately don't know if I made the A in maths, due to me finding P3 and M2 so hard).

I couldn't think of an iron catalyst either..

ReputationRep:
    fairieboi, are those your university offers in your signature?

I'm hoping I made the A boundary too, as my Cambridge offer. is pretty tough (and I unfortunately don't know if I made the A in maths, due to me finding P3 and M2 so hard).

I couldn't think of an iron catalyst either..
    yeah they are...
    I reckon i'll have got As in latin and greek, but i need one in either bio or chem... bio is hard to judge, and chem was... hm. it could go either way for chem i guess...

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for the unit 4 indicator question? and why is Al(aq) acidic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becksdecks7)
    what did you get for the unit 4 indicator question? and why is Al(aq) acidic?
    i said it would be more than 7 end point and indicator phenylphthalein
    Al3+ has its hexaqua water molecules deprotonated to make H+

ReputationRep:
    phenolphthalein , more than 7.
    What about pH for buffer solution?

ReputationRep:
    yeh I did that indicator question as well and got that phew damn cant believe how I got -250 lost 2 marks DAMN

ReputationRep:
    i got those same answers, i think i did ok, but i still found both papers mucccchh harder and reallly weird, compared to all the past papers i did, (and i did a loooott of past papers)...Stupid edexcel, tht born haber diagram was soo rubbish, and the question was soo vagues... also the question on unit 5 about the the 2 spectra, who vague could you get!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I said more than 7 and phenolpthalein too.

Wasn't sure about the Aluminium one, the equation I wrote was a bit unit 5. I didn't write it all the way to precipate either:

[Al(H2O)6]3+ + H2O = [Al(H2O)5(OH)]2+ + H30+

was what I wrote. I think I should be ok to get the marks, at least I'm hoping so.

Fairieboi, was your biology edexcel too? Is there a thread about unit 3 and 5 in that too? (sorry, I'm new here).

ReputationRep:
    found it pretty crap i'm worried i won't scrape my B though hopefully i'll have booted AS to an A with retakes. The Born Haber cycle really confused me well not confused just put me off because i'm used to drawing it myself and thinking through the steps. I think i made a calculation error too . Made up quite a lot of stuff for the last question in unit 5. oh well too late to change anything now and i've got while off to revise for the synoptic

ReputationRep:
    I got
    EA1 = -303.5 kJ/mol
    Kp = 0.0394
    pH = 2.81
    pH(buffer) = 4.61
    and
    k = 0.001 mol^-1dm^3s^-1(rate constant)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I said more than 7 and phenolpthalein too.

Wasn't sure about the Aluminium one, the equation I wrote was a bit unit 5. I didn't write it all the way to precipate either:

[Al(H2O)6]3+ + H2O = [Al(H2O)5(OH)]2+ + H30+

was what I wrote. I think I should be ok to get the marks, at least I'm hoping so.

Fairieboi, was your biology edexcel too? Is there a thread about unit 3 and 5 in that too? (sorry, I'm new here).
    nope. my bio is aqa a. check out the biology forum, there might be one around

ReputationRep:
    Sounds similar. Nobody else thought it was odd having the same reaction (oxidising alcohols) twice?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought that was slightly odd...and didn't we need to reduce twice too?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.