Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i put less than 7 and methyl orange..

damn.......

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me if they reduced twice?

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember specifically, but we may have needed to reduce twice too.

It was definitely the whole alchols, carbonyls, carboxylic acids area twice.

ReputationRep:
    what did every one put for the question in the unit 5 paper, it was regents and conditions for step3 and was worth 3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    There are two possible routes:

Oxidation using alkaline potassium manganate (VII), heating the mixture under reflux

OR warm with iodine in sodium hydroxide solution

ReputationRep:
    and the silicon dioxide question is related to the giant covalent structure of silica- many strong covalent bonds must be broke in order for silica to dissolve, and insufficient energy is available for this to occur at room temperature

ReputationRep:
    oh well didint do that great...dont think i'll get the A i need now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutron)
    There are two possible routes:

Oxidation using alkaline potassium manganate (VII), heating the mixture under reflux

OR warm with iodine in sodium hydroxide solution
    Yes! Thats what I thought! It seemed weird to me that they stated the reagents for the iodoform afterwards though

ReputationRep:
    I think the exam paper managed to repeat almost every organic reaction twice in the course of the two papers

ReputationRep:
    chem unit 4 was ok but boy was unit 5 messed up what the hell was that Diazonium thinggyy doing there i compleatly forgot all about it.lol, anyways u lot looking forward to the C6B paper if u lot doing it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo_014)
    chem unit 4 was ok but boy was unit 5 messed up what the hell was that Diazonium thinggyy doing there i compleatly forgot all about it.lol, anyways u lot looking forward to the C6B paper if u lot doing it??
    haha i guessed the diazo stuff and i guessed it right!!!! wot r the chances of tht lol.. well chuffed .. and about 6B..hell no got C4 on same day :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Ah messed up this test ... if the boundaries are insanely low ... something like in the mid 50's i might get an A.

ReputationRep:
    mid 50's low?!
    i messed up big time esp unit 4 i had the feeling that i was giving answers but wouldnt get the marks coz of the mark scheme. when i saw the 1st 2pages with all those reactions i freaked! waste of time learning it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    I got
    EA1 = -303.5 kJ/mol
    Kp = 0.0394
    pH = 2.81
    pH(buffer) = 4.61
    and
    k = 0.001 mol^-1dm^3s^-1(rate constant)
    ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutron)
    and the silicon dioxide question is related to the giant covalent structure of silica- many strong covalent bonds must be broke in order for silica to dissolve, and insufficient energy is available for this to occur at room temperature
    yeah, i remembered that 2 mins before the finishing time. what a blissful moment! lol

ReputationRep:
    i totally messed up the buffer calculation....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senshi)
    haha i guessed the diazo stuff and i guessed it right!!!! wot r the chances of tht lol.. well chuffed .. and about 6B..hell no got C4 on same day :eek:
    What does the azo dye (product) look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo_014)
    Do we have to memorise all the AS Level definitions for unit 6?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I forgot about SiO2 being a giant structure.. I at least put about the bonds requiring a lot of energy to break, so maybe I'll scrape one mark out of 3 (was it?) on that question. I did say they were double bonds though..

Are you sure you could do an iodoform reaction as one of the two possible routes? Did you not need to remove a longer side chain by oxidisation? Well, I can't remember exactly, if it was only a methyl group I suppose either way would work.

I'm going to remain hopeful I got an A.. Chemistry is my strongest subject, and I generally get As on past papers I have done, I just keep thinking about all the silly mistakes I did: Not saying "in dry ether" whenever I used LiAH4, which was quite a lot of times due to the two papers being so repetitive/similar on the organic; for the reaction profile, I drew the transition state as if it was a catalysed one, putting it as an extra part, rather than the peak.

Hopefully despite of all those silly mistakes I got most right, I guess you're bound to remember the parts you got wrong, but it makes the wait for results even more agonising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goddess)
    Do we have to memorise all the AS Level definitions for unit 6?
    Yes, it tests anything from A or AS level. I don't think this is too bad for chemistry though, because the A2 builds on what you did in AS more than any other subject, at least any other subject I do (sciences & maths).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.