Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here are some possibilites for the synoptic paper

1) Mass spectrometer/spectrograph

2)The Van de Graaff Generator

3) Diffraction/Interference , this might be a quesiton from syllabus . or they might bring smth out of syllabus in the form of passage such as "Diffraction grating" or "Physics of CD" as in Jan 2001

4)Resonance , Damping and this stuff

5)Capacitors - their graphs and formulas , concentrate on Energy part.

These are my predictions , any one can add , or attach some pastpapers quesitons would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    Here are some questions uploaded.
    try to solve them , then we will discuss it
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc interference.doc (25.5 KB, 191 views)
  2. File Type: doc Nuclear Matter.doc (30.5 KB, 151 views)

ReputationRep:
    that's funny, I did the first one today.

part (i) need emphasis on the superposition of two coherent waves which are a phase angle of 1pi out at that point, so their amplitudes at that point are always equal mangitude but in the opposite direction. the vector sum is therefore always zero

(ii), the point is on the second dotted line out so the difference is 3/2 lambda, you add this to the distance from D1 to find the distance to D2

(iii) a stationary wave pattern is when two coherent waves with a similar amplitude are moving along the same line in opposite directions, so their superposition leads to nodes and antinodes. there are 6 nodes between them, and each node is half a wavelength long (1.5cm) so the distance is 9cm

(b) (i) typical magnetic one.. the alternating current produces an alternating magnetic field which attracts and repels the manget, causing alternating accelerration fo the magnetic dipper.

(ii) v = wx = (2*pi*f)*(0.75*10^-3) = ...

ReputationRep:
    practice
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: doc capacitors.doc (32.0 KB, 181 views)
  4. File Type: doc fission.doc (26.0 KB, 202 views)
  5. File Type: doc GM Tube.doc (42.0 KB, 112 views)
  6. File Type: doc Van de Graaff machine.doc (27.0 KB, 114 views)

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you talking about as I have Salters Horners Physics PSA 6 (synoptic) on Monday but I have never even studied the following:

1) Mass spectrometer/spectrograph
    2)The Van de Graaff Generator

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel A2 GCE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    that's funny, I did the first one today.

part (i) need emphasis on the superposition of two coherent waves which are a phase angle of 1pi out at that point, so their amplitudes at that point are always equal mangitude but in the opposite direction. the vector sum is therefore always zero

(ii), the point is on the second dotted line out so the difference is 3/2 lambda, you add this to the distance from D1 to find the distance to D2

(iii) a stationary wave pattern is when two coherent waves with a similar amplitude are moving along the same line in opposite directions, so their superposition leads to nodes and antinodes. there are 6 nodes between them, and each node is half a wavelength long (1.5cm) so the distance is 9cm

(b) (i) typical magnetic one.. the alternating current produces an alternating magnetic field which attracts and repels the manget, causing alternating accelerration fo the magnetic dipper.

(ii) v = wx = (2*pi*f)*(0.75*10^-3) = ...

i dont understand how you worked out the distance between d1 and d2....

ReputationRep:
    Study the cathode ray oscilloscope , study how to draw and read data from it and NOT how it works.
    Also revise THE WAVE-PARTICLE DUALITY THING (DE BROGLIE WAVELENGTH) AND ELECTRON DIFFRACTION , EMISSION AND ABSORPTION SPECTRA

I'm sure that electron diffraction will come , since it has not been asked for 10 years in all A2 papers , so its time for it
    Attached Files
  7. File Type: doc CRO - Fission.doc (32.0 KB, 111 views)

ReputationRep:
    I remmebered that my teacher told me while doing Unit 5 , that "The Hall Effect" is a good source of questions to ask about in the synoptic , not the hall probe , the theory behind the hall probe.
    why don't u read and have an idea about it

It's very simple , if u have a conductor , and current is flowing thorugh it , then u can identify direction of current , and direction of motion of electrons , now when I apply a magnetic field perpendicular to the current , a magnetic force acts on the current whose direction is determined by Fleming's left hand rule , use it u will find that a vertical force acts on the electrons causing them to accumalate in one side , that is creating a potential.so other electrons will be acted by 2 opposite vertical forces , one magnetic and the other electric.
    It is the balance of these 2 forces which gives the hall voltage.
    equate Bqv = eE where E=hall voltage/d

so this is what happends when u place the hall probe in a filed , once the 2 requirements are satisfied , magnetic and electric field , a voltage reading is taken,

Hope u understood

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.